Jason David Frank-Green Power Ranger On Alledged Assasination Attempt

Did the actor himself phrase it as an "assassination" attempt, or was that the press?

Either way, it was a total stranger attempting to kill someone in the public eye for no direct personal reason. It's not really an assassination but I can see why sloppy indifferent writers might use the word. It makes the article more attention-getting.

OH, now hte other shoe has dropped. There was some significant whining and moaning about restrictions on prop weapons in a Facebook group, even non-weapon props, in response to "an incident," in a state with an open carry law. I wondered what happened.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thank god they got this idiot before things got bad. you know when I'm at a con this is always in the back of my head. i suffer from paranoia to begin with.. so any large events is anxiety provoking.

its very sad but it was only a matter of time before some idiot attempted this. props to the phoenix police grabbing this guy right away!

wait a minute, how the hell did this guy get past security to begin with? then again.... i had a experience in 2015 while waiting in line. before i went through the metal detectors there were 2 chicks dressed in leather as shield agents, they had airsoft hand guns, maybe berreta or 1911's. anyway they were metal so the detector when off, the security guard asked to see the guns, he examined them and then said " i can't tell if these are real or not" and handed them back to them....

i felt very uncomfortable...

2016 i got the VIP pass to get in a hour early and everyone with the VIP pass went a different route totally bypassing the metal detectors... so maybe this is the case with this idiot?

sounds like this idiot snuck into the con, and avoided staff and security. at the end of the video it says he attacked JDF in the past, he stabbed him?! trying to find more information about his first attack on him, what a shame...

Last edited by a moderator:
stabbing is a lie. JDF confirms this in the video below at 7:00

Last edited by a moderator:
I accidentally walked the floor this year at SWC with a rather large knife left in my backpack. My backpack is the type where you open the main pocket and then it has that extra laptop space or whatever it is. Well, the security lady at the door made me unzip the bag, looked at it as I walked through the metal detector, and then she just handed it to me on the other side.

Obviously I had no ill intent and didn't even realize my mistake until I was leaving in my car, but the fact that it even happened was a clear sign to me that conventions need stricter security. If any idiot can smuggle a weapon in on accident, I'm damn sure someone with intent to harm people could too.

Is banning all prop weapons the answer? I don't know.. maybe? Something should be done and it is a start.

I don't know that stricter security is the answer. You can never account for the X-factor. I know I'm probably in the minority, but I'd rather live freely than in a police state. I'm sick of going to just about anything and either being searched, scanned or read a laundry list of things verboten. Going to an all day, outdoor event and not being allowed a backpack, while admitting a family with a kiddie SUV packed full of enough **** to build a bomb drives me nuts. It's why I hardly go to anything anymore. I'd rather take the chances overwhelmingly in my favor than be driven mad by the illusion of security.

I don't know that stricter security is the answer. You can never account for the X-factor. I know I'm probably in the minority, but I'd rather live freely than in a police state. I'm sick of going to just about anything and either being searched, scanned or read a laundry list of things verboten. Going to an all day, outdoor event and not being allowed a backpack, while admitting a family with a kiddie SUV packed full of enough **** to build a bomb drives me nuts. It's why I hardly go to anything anymore. I'd rather take the chances overwhelmingly in my favor than be driven mad by the illusion of security.

i know what you mean, come summer time my skin gets real dark. i am asked all the time what kind of nationality am I, and when i reply "Portuguese" i get a shocked expression and reply like "You look really arab."

my girlfriend at the time and I went to a air show a few weeks after the marathon bombings here in boston. we were on a military base where the show was hosted.. i never felt so humiliated in my life. in front of everyone i was pulled out of the line, wanded receptively and asked to remove this and that. i had to take my shoes and socks off, they felt my genitals 4 times, (and i mean hands down inside my pants) while others walked right by with a simple bag search...

my girlfriend even made a comment about this being totally out of control because we waited inline for a long time and never saw anything like this before they got to me...

it was embarrassing, degrading and i felt abused. BUT after it was over, i knew i didnt have to worry anywhere on the base..because they were so strict with the security

so i get what your saying. it sucks, but sometimes its the safer thing to do

and like you've said stricter security isn't the answer when they can simply bypass it like this loser did.

I agree wholeheartedly, I'm sick and tired of seeing security theater everywhere I go, because let's face it, most of the time it is just security theater, it's meant to look like they're doing something without actually doing something. At the end of the day, if someone is intent on doing harm they'll find a way, there's no way to account for every possible scenario and trying to do so just ends up making things miserable for everyone. The price that we pay for living in a free society is that we have to take the occasional risk of someone trying to do harm and I'd rather take that risk than live in a police state where nearly everything is verboten.

I remember when the did'nt CARE what you had.

The only time I had a problem was when I was spotted on the Street after coming back from dinner in Full Colonial Warrior Battlesuit by 2 Police who finally caught up with me in the Con, one knew what I was dressed as and wanted a Picture with me and of course to check out my Laser Pistol the other just had this look of what the hell is going on here and who the hell are all of these crazy people. :lol

I remember when the did'nt CARE what you had.

The only time I had a problem was when I was spotted on the Street after coming back from dinner in Full Colonial Warrior Battlesuit by 2 Police who finally caught up with me in the Con, one knew what I was dressed as and wanted a Picture with me and of course to check out my Laser Pistol the other just had this look of what the hell is going on here and who the hell are all of these crazy people. :lol

That is wicked cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm waiting for all the so called security to back fire. Several states are trying to pass laws where prohibiting weapons in a "business" would be held liable if something bad happens to it's occupants.

Do many cons have metal detectors? At Megacon last week, there were none and have never been any in the past. Wonder if that will change?

I have been going to conventions since sometime in the '80s -- Creation Star Trek cons, NorWesCon, GeoCon, FaerieCon (more recently renamed FaerieWorlds), OtaKon, Sakura-Con, Star Wars Celebration, Dragon Con, SDCC, ECCC... I have never seen metal detectors, been searched, had my bag searched, or anything like that. Some I have been to have "weapons" checks to make sure prop weapons are fake or inoperable, to varying degrees of consistency or competency. And even then things that are part of a costume can often cause more damage, like spikes or wings.

Just as how the TSA has intercepted zero terrorists since 2001, this kind of security theater does nothing but comfort the easily comforted and annoy just about everyone else. The determined crazies find ways around, as they always have, and everyone who was not interested in causing anyone harm are the ones who pay the price. I have several real weapons for various costumes because there are no replicas for those obscure ones and I would have to get them anyway to make such, even if I had the setup to do so, which I don't. I know how, and, more importantly, when to use them. I wish I could go through an interview and sign something attesting by both parties I know what I'm doing and won't recklessly brandish, threaten, or harm. But, since I'm the only one who knows I won't use them, I leave them home so no one freaks out. It irks me.

I remember ren faires where people knew better than to whip out live steel and be idiots with it. I remember motorized squirt guns that were highly accurate, properly colored replicas of the real deals and people didn't panic. I remember being able to walk people to or meet them at the airport gate. It's such an irritating miasma now of some people being stupid, other people being irrationally fearful, still others not having their psychiatric issues caught and treated at a young age.. And we intelligent, responsible people who just want to responsibly have fun... can't.

--Jonah

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back