Voice actor appreciation thread

Laura Bailey (Fallout New Vegas, tons of games). I tried following her, but then she got a restraining order.
b37VMGa.gif

Seriously her voice is hypnotic.

I'd love to get into voice acting, but not even sure where to start, or if I'd be any good.
Theres so many good ones out there, but I think of Frank Welker when I think of voice actors. He has nearly 800 acting credits to his name on IMDB. Craziness.

There's many outlets now that make doing VO work easier than ever, breaking into Hollywood is another story. The common advice I hear tossed around the most is, despite working with the voice, it is still acting. Brush up on your acting chops so that you can bring something to the character beyond just a "silly" voice.

How about some recognition for the RPF's very own AJ LoCascio? (Member ID: Mooniteman)

https://youtu.be/3hf7UcSaaG4

And who could forget his awesome work on the Back To The Future video game?
https://youtu.be/ka5Ypwub2BA

Thanks for the shoutout! I appreciate being appreciated!

I was just going to post Aj's @Mooniteman work! He did an awesome job with a birthday greeting for a friend! His Marty is spot on!

Thaaaaank you!

I'd love to get into voice acting, but not even sure where to start, or if I'd be any good.
Theres so many good ones out there, but I think of Frank Welker when I think of voice actors. He has nearly 800 acting credits to his name on IMDB. Craziness.

You don't know until you try! (More in-depth answer below)

There's many outlets now that make doing VO work easier than ever, breaking into Hollywood is another story. The common advice I hear tossed around the most is, despite working with the voice, it is still acting. Brush up on your acting chops so that you can bring something to the character beyond just a "silly" voice.

Agreed! Acting is top priority. People think having an interesting voice or being able to do impressions is what you need to break in, but that doesn't mean much if you can't act. Emoting through just your voice is a very odd and specific way of acting, but ultimately if you can act - you can voice act.

And as far as breaking in goes- there are classes out there that can give you a leg up. Having a great reel and getting it out there in the world can do wonders. Ultimately if you want it bad enough (and you're not a terrible actor) you can find a way in - it just might take time and a ton of effort.

there are plenty of people who make a career out of just using one voice :).

Agreed! Acting is top priority. People think having an interesting voice or being able to do impressions is what you need to break in, but that doesn't mean much if you can't act. Emoting through just your voice is a very odd and specific way of acting, but ultimately if you can act - you can voice act.

And as far as breaking in goes- there are classes out there that can give you a leg up. Having a great reel and getting it out there in the world can do wonders. Ultimately if you want it bad enough (and you're not a terrible actor) you can find a way in - it just might take time and a ton of effort.

also, voice actors love it when you say , I can do this GREAT Fred Flinston impression, as your opening line ;o)

Can I divert for a second and ask two things?

1)Why did we not get a BTTF Game Sequel, ending on a great, but cruel joke? :)

And 2)how come tom wilson only re voiced biff and not his relatives? :)

also, voice actors love it when you say , I can do this GREAT Fred Flinston impression, as your opening line ;o)

Can I divert for a second and ask two things?

1)Why did we not get a BTTF Game Sequel, ending on a great, but cruel joke? :)

And 2)how come tom wilson only re voiced biff and not his relatives? :)

1) Noooo idea. Your guess is as good as mine.

2) Noooo idea. Your guess is as good as mine.

(I really don't know anything on either of those)

daly, conroy and hamill. Grew up watching them voice my favourite characters and always am that little bit more excited when future projects announce that they are involved.

Also a mention for troy baker who not only does a magnificent Joker but who is just an overall great voice actor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Goes along with Hamill, But Kevin Conroy much ? He's still THE batman reference for a few generations I would guess !

Kevin Conroy is odd in that sometimes he is PHENOMENAL as Batman. Other times....not so much. He was fantastic in the Arkham games, but in the Killing Joke movie, he was terrible. Very strange how on and off he can be.

Kevin Conroy is odd in that sometimes he is PHENOMENAL as Batman. Other times....not so much. He was fantastic in the Arkham games, but in the Killing Joke movie, he was terrible. Very strange how on and off he can be.
Yeah but that movie as a whole was pretty bad. I actually went to the theater to see that, and my friends and I were very disappointed.

Since we're on the topic, which sort of relates to what's being said about good v. bad writing/direction and in regards to Killing Joke, beyond what they added to the film, I think the poor reception of the film itself is a reflection of the material itself. It was an influential comic when it came out, and remains so, but it seems to only work on paper and within the context of comic history. The animation team pretty much adapted that story and dialogue verbatim and seeing it and hearing it played out, it really brought to light what about it doesn't work when performed: it lacks any subtlety. Long diatribes on what should be subtext (and make for interesting character study) does not make for good dialogue on film. To quote the Robot-Devil from Futurama, "You can't go around having your characters announce how they feel! THAT MAKES ME ANGRY!"

And in regards to the Arkham games, I only really liked Arkham City because the first game had that very problem. And in terms of direction, Conroy was okay in Asylum, but I can't get over just how really bad Hamill is directed in that game. Nevermind what he was given to say, but his performance sounded like it was sped up or he was tasked with saying everything in one breath. So if it wasn't him being big, loud, and broad, he was straining to get through his speeches.

Teragon really hit it on the head:
Well he's an actor, so he depends on the script, and on the direction as well. If it's bad, there's only so much you can do as a voice actor

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back