Bandai Tie Advance X1 questions

Unknown Hero

Let me preface this by saying I've never done any modeling whatsoever, so I apologize for my ignorance. With that said I decided to start with this kit. Upon inspection the standing vader isn't a mini figure like some of the videos I've seen. Is this a factory defect? Or a recent change (seems odd if it is)?

20170525_185532_zpsgvf1pllv.jpg

Let me preface this by saying I've never done any modeling whatsoever, so I apologize for my ignorance. With that said I decided to start with this kit. Upon inspection the standing vader isn't a mini figure like some of the videos I've seen. Is this a factory defect? Or a recent change (seems odd if it is)?

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd520/cnj49er/Mobile Uploads/20170525_185532_zpsgvf1pllv.jpg

Apparently due to the US distribution deal Bandai began making their standup figured into flats.

Not a defect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the comments! I'll be sending it back via Amazon and will pick a seller from Japan.

Supposedly the ones in Japan are also selling them with flats now as well.

It will simply be luck of the draw if you get one of the older versions with the figure.

Supposedly the ones in Japan are also selling them with flats now as well.

It will simply be luck of the draw if you get one of the older versions with the figure.

Damn. Well at least by keeping it I won't have to wait for snail mail from overseas. Now just to wait for the paint. Thank you again. I appreciate it very much!

PM me if you want mine. I'm building my TIEs pilotless as display pieces and have no need of even such finely-sculpted figures -- and moreso the standing Vader my x1 came with.

--Jonah

I'm sure many others have voiced how incredible this kit is, but case in point just how detailed and accurate it is to the original filming miniature: this detail, with the engraved grid texture, is depicted in near microscopic form on the Bandai kit (it is less than 2mm in size!)
closeup.JPG

Of course, nothing made by humans is perfect but the only detail I found lacking on this kit is the below indicated feature, which has horizontal engraved lines on the black rectangles. These are smooth on the Bandai kit, but can be added using a micro saw pulled across the part sideways. (I recommend practicing first.) Another method would be to engrave the parallel lines on a larger piece of sheet plastic (preferably on large enough that all four rectangles can be covered from the one piece) then sanding the kit part down to accomodate the thichness of the sheet and then fitting and trimming the new textured surface. Any number of ways to do it (including just ignoring it!) ;^P

detailPointer.jpg

Regards, Robert

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back