LOTR book of Moria reference

KAIBURR

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi all!

I'm looking to replicate the book Galdalf finds in the mines. Any reference would be most welcome!

Thanks,
Nathan

Hi all!

I'm looking to replicate the book Galdalf finds in the mines. Any reference would be most welcome!

Thanks,
Nathan

I made a replica of that one awhile back...

norm-423e662e2f7cb-Lord+of+the+Rings.jpeg

And here is a pretty good reference pic, too...
norm-45f9a81851517-Lord+of+the+Rings.jpeg

Wow, that looks awesome. Can you post some additional pictures?
Thanks guys. Glad ya like it.
For the actual book I used scrap leather I had left over from making my last Grail Diary...lots of black shoe polish and sandpaper to give it that worn out look, plus some fake "dustiness" I did with watered-down white paint. The gold bands on the front and spine are actually strips of that gray foam you get at Home Depot to keep your pipes from freezing in the winter. I heated athe end of a paperclip and "wrote" the drwarf runes into the foam, melting it very carefully...then I painted them with metallic gold paint, then dabbed them with black shoe polish and walnut crystal ink to give it that old look.
The pages of the book are, unfortunately, mostly blank and just aged with walnut crystal ink. I did, however, print a few pages to go inside, just so it'll look good should I decide to display it opened rather than closed. I'll post a few more pics of it later tonight.

That's amazing work! I love it. :)

The gold bands on the front and spine are actually strips of that gray foam you get at Home Depot to keep your pipes from freezing in the winter. I heated athe end of a paperclip and "wrote" the drwarf runes into the foam, melting it very carefully...then I painted them with metallic gold paint, then dabbed them with black shoe polish and walnut crystal ink to give it that old look.

I've done something very similar with craft foam to get a leather like look. If you're interested in seeing the results, the tutorial is here and here

Ramsey, where did you get the pictures for the inside?

I honestly don't remember....I think I may have just done a Google search for LOTR illustrations or something. I'm sure if I dig around I might find my cd that had all those files on them..I'm sure I kept a link to the site in case I decided to get any more of them. There are only a few pages in my book that have anything printed in them at all..I never even got around to printing the pages you DO see in the movie (the page Ghandalf is reading from, and the ones that fell out of the book when he picked them up)...but I still plan to do that sooner or later......actually, I plan to remake the entire prop. I was never happy enough with the way this one turned out, plus I plan to use craft foam instead of pipe foam the next time, too.

That's amazing work! I love it. :)

I've done something very similar with craft foam to get a leather like look. If you're interested in seeing the results, the tutorial is here and here
I've seen your site before...I think that is brilliant! :thumbsup In fact, I had already decided that when I remake this prop (which I've been planning to do for some time now) I would utilize your technique for the bands on the book. It would look much better than melting the runes into pipe foam like I did then. The pipe foam was really a bit too thick for the look I was going for, and I thinned it out as best as I could with an X-acto knife, but I wish I had seen your site sooner. I saw it not too long after I had made my Book of Mazarbul, and immediately planned to do the craft foam technique when I do my 2nd attempt at the book replica.

:) Awesome! Though, I think what you've done is really great already. But I totally get wanting to step it up a notch. *heh* I've made my husband's obi-wan pouches 3x!

Re: LOTR book of Moria reference...LOTS of pictures.

Here are the other pictures I promised....sorry about making them so big...and that some are a bit blurry. *S*

a.jpg

l.jpg

k.jpg

j.jpg

i.jpg

h.jpg

g.jpg

f.jpg

e.jpg

d.jpg

c.jpg

b.jpg

Nice work Ramsey! Where did the reference shot come from if I may ask?

Nathan

Ramsey -- awesome book! I love the weathering of the pages.

Guri -- EXCELLENT tutorials. *Thinking about leather-esque Harry Potter stuff*

If you happen to still have the link to the images you used in the book, I'd love to see it. You've got me thinking I might like to making one of these myself.

And one more question. You say you used some scrap leather for the book, did you wrap it around an existing book, or did you make that too?

And one more question. You say you used some scrap leather for the book, did you wrap it around an existing book, or did you make that too?

I made the book from scratch...just three pieces of thick cardboard (two for the front and back and one for the spine). I then glued the pieces onto scrap car seat leather I bought from someone on E-bay, then proceeded to age the crap out of the leather, using shoe polish and sand paper and paint and gravel and ashes from the bottom of my grill...whatever it took to give it the look it needed.

As for the images inside, I doubt I'll be able to find those again, but I'll do my best. I know I kept them on a cd somewhere, and I am looking for it, but it might take some time...I've never been very organized with my back-up discs..I have about a dozen that all have the word "stuff" written on them. :rolleyes

Well if you don't have them/can't find them, that's cool. I tried doing a google search but didn't find anything like what you had.:)

One last question, how did you attach the pages to the inside/spine?

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back