Harry Dresden's shield bracelet

Atlas

I like the little things. Especially things that you can wear in public. So, naturally, ever since I saw Dresden files I've coveted Harry's shield bracelet. For the longest of time I, like everyone else wanting one, was put off by the price of the screen-accurate shields, so the project floated on the twilight zone between To do-list and The Backburner.
Until recently, when I caught myself wondering about the shield bracelet, and realizing that I could just make the shields myself. So I did.

IMG_20170519_171816.jpg

I started by drawing the shield design as a vector and tossed the file at a laser cutter, and I got a pile of these out of it. I suspect that the originals are electro-etched from sheet brass or bronze, but since I lack equipment for that, I decided to go with investment casting. By casting the shields from bronze, I could leave the engraved areas with the rough, reddish cast surface, and polish the high areas to a shine, and achieve the two-tone effect seen on screen. With my sophisticated Screwing Around-method, I've determined that acrylic is the best plastic to use for making the master models for investment casting. The engraved blanks from the laser, however, are flat. To my eye, the screen-used have a slight dish to them, so dish them I did.

IMG_20170519_180042.jpg

I heat-formed the shields over a rounded tool handle (a socket screwdriver, I think). Which, in retrospect, might have been a bit too round. The shields don't look quite that round in the show, but I liked the look, so I decided to roll with it. Happy little accidents. I also cut some attachment loops and glued them onto the backside of the shields.

IMG_20170523_140156.jpg

Cast bronze shield on a vise, undergoing air bubble removal with a chisel. Prior to this, I sandblasted the shields to remove the hard oxide layer that forms on the bronze, easing the clean-up and polish. The lines from the engraving are more visible on the cast piece. While inaccurate, they do look kinda nice.

IMG_20170523_211242.jpg

And here's where I've got so far, all shields cast and polished. I probably won' have time to attack the leatherwork in a day or few. Still need to figure how I'll mount the shields onto the leather in the correct orientation that doesn't stand out too much. More to come soon!

_A

Wow, those look phenomenal!! Any chance of doing a run of these in the near future? I'd definitely be interested in a set!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Definitely cool !! This is from the "Dresden Files" ....right ? I only caught a few episodes. I should go back and see if Netflix or Hulu has the episodes and watch them all.

Wow, those look phenomenal!! Any chance of doing a run of these in the near future? I'd definitely be interested in a set!

I might, I'm cut of from my casting gear for the summer, so that will be a while if it ever happens.

Definitely cool !! This is from the "Dresden Files" ....right ? I only caught a few episodes. I should go back and see if Netflix or Hulu has the episodes and watch them all.

Yup, from Dresden files. Didn't quite reach it's potential, but the props are phenomenal.

_A

...Aand here we go. Finished, for now. I've seen more shield bracelets with snap closure, but the toggle appears to be more screen accurate. I opted to replace the woven leather button toggle with just knotted leather cord, mostly because I couldn't wrap my head around how to make one.

IMG_20170527_172535.jpg

You can kinda see how the polished bronze has a more yellow hue compared to the red-pink sandblasted bronze in the recesses.

IMG_20170527_172620.jpg

The shields were attached by woving thin leather lace through the leather bracelet and the button holes, because I think that's the arrangement I'm seeing on screen. The shields however, are relatively loose and clink against each other more than I'm happy with, so the attachment will probably see a revision in the future.

IMG_20170527_172505.jpg

On the wrist. Another point or revision will be the fastening. The leather knot-toggle is not accurate, and with it the bracelet hangs rather loose on the wrist, enough that the weight of the shields shifts it around. For a small project like this, none too shabby.

Thanks for reading!

_A

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back