Droid Caller - One Day Build - Zero Cost

JUSTINIAN

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I decided to build a droid caller for my 5 year old son's Luke costume. I gave myself 2 rules, it had to be built in one day, and only using parts that I already had. This project did not cost anything to build. I knew going into this project it would not be perfect, but I think it came out pretty decent.

I started with a drawing, and made most of the prop out of various PVC pipe connectors.
IMG_2892_zpsk2gatv6n.jpg

The parts were put together, and I cut detail lines in them.
IMG_2893_zpsndpexndv.jpg

I filled a tablespoon with some resin, and placed one of the PVC pipes in it.
IMG_2895_zpscoumxb2n.jpg

Once it was cured, I pulled it out, and had a perfect dome shape for the top.
IMG_2896_zpsgicv1h3g.jpg

I removed it from the scrap of PVC, and sanded it smooth.
IMG_2897_zps9uybpl0k.jpg

Then placed it onto the prop.
IMG_2898_zpsj5lj6jsr.jpg

Now that the basic shape was complete it was time to start painting. A primer coat of black.
IMG_2899_zpsl2wa9qsq.jpg

I then added a gloss black stripe at the top and the textured black on the bottom. I let that bake for a few hours while I worked on the rest.
IMG_2902_zpskzqqjqzo.jpg

I took some old hex bolts and filed them down with my lathe.
IMG_2900_zpsuthzdezc.jpg

I used 1 filed down rivet and two filed down hex nuts. I also found a belt clip and D ring holder in my saber parts box.
IMG_2903_zpsyaba0npr.jpg

I don't know what the rectangle thing is called, but I made it out of 3 pieces of styrene, and glued them together and painted it silver.
IMG_2901_zpsglr2ozr5.jpg

Once the silver was painted and dried, it was time to start putting it all together.
IMG_2904_zpsiyp2rlqz.jpg

And here is the final droid caller with everything installed and lightly weathered.
IMG_2916_zpsbwox7bnc.jpg

IMG_2917_zpszzrwyjto.jpg

IMG_2918_zpsznvhkpsx.jpg

Again, I know this is not perfect, but it's for a 5 year old's costume. This was a very fun project to work on. Hopefully this is helpful for some of you guys on a tight budget.

Nice job... Fun build...

I really need to get myself a bench-top lathe and the skills to use it...

Cool!
You might could get some 'good enough' detail lines with a pipe cutter. - for those of us who are sans lathe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool!
You might could get some 'good enough' detail lines with a pipe cutter. - for those of us who are sans lathe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Definitely. I have used them many times, but the one I have was not large enough for this diameter pipe. I cut the lines with the pipe cuter, and then use a file to make the lines wider and more visible.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back