ESB Luke Lightsaber question.

REVANSSkywalker

I have been a lurker now for some time. I managed to get a pretty nice condition vintage folmer graflex. The bottom is a folmer but the top does not have the straight pins. Anyway my question is the correct placement of the kobold. When I put the bottom section in and turn it all the way to the right the word graflex 3 cell in the center the g is at the 7 o'clock position from the bunny ears. Looking at Roys esb guide his is somewhat near that same position. Is that correct? Also I used screws lol

Attachments

• 20170521_120338.jpg
    20170521_120338.jpg
    942.6 KB · Views: 156
  • 20170521_120257.jpg
    20170521_120257.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 171
On a Graflex bottom the stamping is not always oriented the same in relation to the cut slots that the clamp tabs slide into. It will differ from one to another. I would suggest setting it up in any way that allows "NEW YORK" to fall between 12:00 and 3:00 if possible (as you can see in the screenshot below). But it looks like you've already drilled it.

zkhoth.jpg

Edit: Looked at the photo again and realized you don't have a New York Folmer, so in that case I wouldn't sweat it.

I have 4 vintage graflex 3 cells and none of them are in the exact place because it's a coin at the bace of the flash you will get inconsistencies as you have ....
I picked the best position as possible but on my last one I lined it up to be exact...
set the part and with the part I turned it along with the clip and coin to get it to the right position...

It's worth a shot hope this helps

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Spot on with the Kobold clip ... just disregard the text on the bottom it can vary in position from one flashgun to the next :)

Also for the Hoth sequence we see a Folmer New York variant G R A F L E X ... no patent # ;)

Chaïm

So I didn't screw it up then lol!!!!!!!. I left the beer tab on as well as the clamp screw holder thingy. I couldn't believe the condition that it is in. Aside from a few scratches no dings or dents. The brass pins have a awesome patina as well.

You may go join the others and start swishing and swooshing your vintage parts lightsaber in the garden with added sound fx ... oh just do mind the neighbours though . . . at their disbelief :)

Chaïm

I am going to replace the graflex 2.0 kobold with roys kit. Once it's finished I will post the glam shots. I'm still on the the fence about removing the beer tab. I could take it apart and remove it from the inside and save the parts so I can put it back on if I want. It's just in such awesome condition I kinda don't want to mess with it.

This is how I see the evolution of Luke's G R A F L E X based lightsaber ... after ANH and before ESB started shooting the saber was still intact as seen in ANH with complete grips, beer tab and what not . . . during production of ESB all kinds of events happened to it so it had to have a quick fix, hence the screws in the T-tracks and perhaps even the missing glass eye and beer tab etcetera . . . anyhow in the words of George Lucas and I quote : 'Ultimately you just do what deep inside makes you feel good and it will always guide you in the right direction as long as you are honest about it' so ... you can do whatever you fancy and makes you happy :)

Chaïm

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back