The most "We poured hugs on the bomb" moments in tv/movies:)

joeranger

Sr Member
In Dr Who Season 5 Victory of the Daleks, the Daleks lay a trap for the Doctor and when it fails, they try to trigger a massive bomb. However, the bomb is a robot who thought he was human and Amy Pond talks to him about the love for his childhood sweetheart. which deactivates the bomb and saves the planet.

It was a great episode and I never really thought about it until Chris Hardwick was hosting a Dr Who special discussing random stuff. My two favorites;
Warming up to a new Dr is like a kid warming up to a stepdad, "well...your're not my REAL Dad..." :)
The other one is talking about the robot bomb about to destroy the planet and then "We just poured hugs on the bomb..."

Any other really corny "Love saved the planet" bits in TV and film?

The Abyss (Director's cut) - Well the Aliens were about to destroy the planet but "LUV U WIF"
Bracewell.jpg

The end of WITNESS where John (Harrison Ford) just yells at his colleague, "Enough! Enough!!" or something. Leave it to Peter Weir.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Warming up to a new Dr is like a kid warming up to a stepdad, "well...your're not my REAL Dad..." :)
The other one is talking about the robot bomb about to destroy the planet and then "We just poured hugs on the bomb..."
LOL!

Oh, man, that moment I could kind of live with because the robot was programmed to be human and there is some logic in trying to use that kind of memory/feeling as a trigger because his whole meltdown was based in an internal emotional conflict.

What drives me nuts is when the writer pulls the same thing but there is zero logic behind why it works. The episode just requires that it happen in order for things to resolve and Russell T Davis was a master of that kind of slop. Similar moments I absolutely HATE, are like the end of "Dalek" where Rose basically works the same touchy-feely mojo on a freaking DALEK! A species whose entire existence, specifically engineered and bred that way for eons, is based on wiping out everything that isn't a DALEK and suddenly we are expected to throw all of that out the window in 90 seconds. Now, I will grant you that they worked that angle into the finale of the season but I still l have a lot of trouble buying into being able to do it in the first place -- if the Daleks could be talked out of killing everyone and everything by having someone touch it you'd think that someone would have been able to do that in the intervening millennia. How many times have they grabbed one from behind to shove it down a staircase or whatever. Now you have to start retconning everything and making excuses for why it didn't work before which is baloney.

Another of the same kind of scenarios is the Star Trek TNG episode "I, Borg". I get that they want to debate what it means to be human or a Borg and where does free choice begin or end and having empathy for your enemy but it's just so pretentious and aloof it's like the crew have never faced the Borg before -- again a species who have repeatedly tried to kill them and whose existence is solely devoted to eliminating or assimilating ANYTHING that is not like its own. The Enterprise crew sit around wringing their hands and acting like they've never even seen a Borg. Why would the creature listen to them?? Thankfully Picard, post Borg transformation, comes in and starts speaking to their captive like someone who has a clue but man is that episode half-baked.

LOL!

Oh, man, that moment I could kind of live with because the robot was programmed to be human and there is some logic in trying to use that kind of memory/feeling as a trigger because his whole meltdown was based in an internal emotional conflict.

What drives me nuts is when the writer pulls the same thing but there is zero logic behind why it works. The episode just requires that it happen in order for things to resolve and Russell T Davis was a master of that kind of slop. Similar moments I absolutely HATE, are like the end of "Dalek" where Rose basically works the same touchy-feely mojo on a freaking DALEK! A species whose entire existence, specifically engineered and bred that way for eons, is based on wiping out everything that isn't a DALEK and suddenly we are expected to throw all of that out the window in 90 seconds. Now, I will grant you that they worked that angle into the finale of the season but I still l have a lot of trouble buying into being able to do it in the first place -- if the Daleks could be talked out of killing everyone and everything by having someone touch it you'd think that someone would have been able to do that in the intervening millennia. How many times have they grabbed one from behind to shove it down a staircase or whatever. Now you have to start retconning everything and making excuses for why it didn't work before which is baloney.

Another of the same kind of scenarios is the Star Trek TNG episode "I, Borg". I get that they want to debate what it means to be human or a Borg and where does free choice begin or end and having empathy for your enemy but it's just so pretentious and aloof it's like the crew have never faced the Borg before -- again a species who have repeatedly tried to kill them and whose existence is solely devoted to eliminating or assimilating ANYTHING that is not like its own. The Enterprise crew sit around wringing their hands and acting like they've never even seen a Borg. Why would the creature listen to them?? Thankfully Picard, post Borg transformation, comes in and starts speaking to their captive like someone who has a clue but man is that episode half-baked.

I &@%$ hated the whole 'Hugh' arcs and storylines... basically neutered the Borg...

I don't necessarily think these moments are any good but I can recall one recent example of a damp-squib-of-a-plot-device like this that comes to mind: Steven Universe. Quite literally the majority of the first one and a half seasons of the show builds up to this world-ending machine that's growing in the Earth's core and is soon to emerge. It's no spoiler since I'm posting about it in this thread but when Steven goes down to try and stop it, he literally hugs the thing and it stops doing whatever it was it was doing. I understand that this show all about pacifism and finding non-violent solutions to problems and all that boring stuff but, man, talk about sloppy and on the nose.

I feel like it would be derelict not to mention the trope subversion of Dark Star. Even if it doesn't count, it's gonna remain my favourite.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back