The Witcher (Netflix TV series)

Never read the books. Tried to get into the 1st game, but man it's tedious. I have the 2nd but never played it. I kinda wanted to play the 1st one to get a feel for the world.

Well. I personally read all the books. I haven't played the first game but I played both the second and the third one. Loved them both. And you don't need to play the first one to play the second one ;)

I am a bit worried though because Netflix is doing this show and not the HBO. I don't recall seeing any medieval/fantasy-based Netflix shows honestly. And also HBO always hire professional calligraphers to do all the handwritten props and I feel like the props for this will be digitally designed and just printed. Well, I hope for the best.

I would also be up for Charles Dance returning as the Nilfgaard emperor. He played him in the third game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuZ5YkXVEvk

Never read the books. Tried to get into the 1st game, but man it's tedious. I have the 2nd but never played it. I kinda wanted to play the 1st one to get a feel for the world.

Skip immediately to Witcher 3. I never played the previous games before and I played 3 and you can dive right in and not miss anything. I did go back and play through 2 very quickly just to see what happened. You get the gist if you talk to everyone and read in 3. Witcher 3 does the best job I've seen yet of dumping you in and letting you know who everyone is and the gist of what happened previously.

I REALLY REALLY hope this is faithful to the game, but I think it's very hard to translate a game to film. Fingers crossed though!

Skip immediately to Witcher 3. I never played the previous games before and I played 3 and you can dive right in and not miss anything. I did go back and play through 2 very quickly just to see what happened. You get the gist if you talk to everyone and read in 3. Witcher 3 does the best job I've seen yet of dumping you in and letting you know who everyone is and the gist of what happened previously.

I REALLY REALLY hope this is faithful to the game, but I think it's very hard to translate a game to film. Fingers crossed though!
It isn't adaptation of the games but the original Witcher books however I hope the series look the same aesthetically and have the same style. Also I hope the voices of the characters are similar to English or Polish versions. Another thing that I wish will be in the series is the same style of score.

Last edited:
It isn't adaptation of the games but the original Witcher books however I hope the series look the same aesthetically and have the same style. Also I hope the voices of the characters are similar to English or Polish versions. Another thing that I wish will be in the series is the same style of score.

I think though that they may choose to base the look of characters on the games. It would be a good choice IMO since the games became more popular than the books (which I haven't read yet). I would actually put money on that vs. coming up with completely different looking characters.

I think though that they may choose to base the look of characters on the games. It would be a good choice IMO since the games became more popular than the books (which I haven't read yet). I would actually put money on that vs. coming up with completely different looking characters.
I really hope the characters will look like from the games. Geralt for sure will do look the same. Even in this crappy old Polish TV adaptation he looked like from the game (actually a lot worse, but the same stylistics). As for other characters I would also prefer them to stay with similar look.

Huh, someone on PC Gamer was saying the Geralt in the book is completely different and insisted the author was going to push those looks. I think if they went with a completely different look than the games, they would make a lot of fans mad. I would guess, though I may be wrong, that the games have a wider fan base than the original novels at this point.

That is good news. I know the books are very popular in Poland, but I'm betting that most people are more familiar with the games. I'm hoping they base all of the character looks on the game versions. I'm still not sure how a live Geralt would draw his swords though. That might require a sword reposition or some camera fakery.

That is good news. I know the books are very popular in Poland, but I'm betting that most people are more familiar with the games. I'm hoping they base all of the character looks on the game versions. I'm still not sure how a live Geralt would draw his swords though. That might require a sword reposition or some camera fakery.
Oh yes, they are very popular. They are also quite popular here in UK.

As for the swords, haven't thought of this. Also it would be interesting to see him fighting using both of them.

This is taking forever. I imagine one day I'll get a surprise notification that it's ready to watch.

As for the books, I just started reading them after finishing Wild Hunt. The first two are a collection of short stories. So much backstory that if you didn't know better you would think they were written as a prequel for the game. So the developers were definitely big fans of the books.

Sent from my Hewlett Packard 48G using Tapatalk

Apparently now there's a big uproar because a casting call for Ciri went out and they asked for actresses 15-18 that are anybody but a white actress. I'm all for expanding roles for everyone, but they need to stop this crap of switching all existing characters genders/races/etc. I think several series and most lately The Black Panther, have shown new properties with a majority minority (uh... okay let's go with that) cast will work if it's good. It has worked in some cases, Nick Fury or Starbuck, but you can't fight racism with a new type of racism (no white actors).

As you have probably heard, the story now is that Polish is considered a minority in England. No real confirmation on whether the story about the 17 year old Polish actress auditioning is true though.

Having recently played Witcher 3, there's no story reason for Ciri to have to be white. And frankly, that whole game is pretty white. Nothing wrong with changing it up a bit for a bigger audience. Nothing wrong with changing it up, period.

Having recently played Witcher 3, there's no story reason for Ciri to have to be white. And frankly, that whole game is pretty white. Nothing wrong with changing it up a bit for a bigger audience. Nothing wrong with changing it up, period.

The character was written white, the story is based on polish history and polish history is white, the fans want Ciri to be authentic and thus Ciri should be white.

Polish history was never diverse, and the bigger audience can suck it. Period.

Might as well "change up" EVERY well established book/game (in the Witchers case that would be various books and 3 games to date), to make sad agendas a reality. CirI is the daughter of a king, she has pale skin, green eyes and blonde/white hair.

Change it up... what nonsense.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back