My first Bandai X wing model finished

streetjudge79

Master Member
I haven't done starship models in many many years. Decided to try out the 1/72 scale X wing from Bandai. Here is the end result. I primed it with krylon flat white primer/paint. Then did oil washes with black and burn sienna. Handpainted the Luke figure and painted the cockpit. I'm amazed at the level of detail in this small kit. Just picked up the Snowspeeder to do next.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice work!

I am getting back into the hobby with these kits too!

they allow for a lot of experimentation and technique practice I find!

Aren't these Bandai Kits beyond amazing? The Y-wing was my first, and then, like Crack - it grew to encompass just about every release they have offered. Very impressive work on that X-wing.

Nice job there.....After a year on my Hasbro X-wing, I had to switch gears. I picked up my very first Bandai kit, the Tie Interceptor at the local Hobby Lobby on a whim. $17.99 after 40% off.

I hadn't built a model kit in 20+ years, but after seeing the Bandai X-Wing at Barnes & Noble I picked one up on a whim. Another $30 at the local hobby store later and I soon had it all set out on my automotive work bench. My Alfa Romeo transaxle rebuild took a backseat for a few weeks... Every morning after sending the kids to school and before heading to work I'd doodle with it a bit.

I don't have an airbrush so it was rattle cans, some automotive and some garden variety Krylon, and I actually used real rust, soot and coke from an old cast iron exhaust manifold I have laying around. I did apply a watercolor-based wash to bring out the raised areas, but most of the panel lines and streaking is real exhaust residue! One different approach I took was to lay down a dark green base coat, THEN applied a coat of clear aluminum, before going over all of the panel lines with a thinned 50/50 black and panzer gray. The result was a lot like what an F22 looks like before it's painted in flat gray with squadron liveries.

With the final classic white coat down I weathered the whole ship with 1000 grit wet, which did a great job of revealing the bare metal beneath. I also painted some panels different colors, then painted over them with white to give the appearance of a ship that's been transferred to different squadrons or into different theaters. I know that's not necessarily keeping with the studio models, but it's how I wanted my Red 5 to look!

I used a combo of the stickers (which are surprisingly great), water slide decals, and paint to finish it, before putting down two coats of plain old Testor's Dulcote, just like when I was a kid.

The whole kit went together beautifully and was easy to disassemble as I changed my mind throughout the build. I did use Gorilla Glue on some part that seemed like they'd want to fall off, like the cannons, but for the most part the snap-together construction seems to be sturdy enough to keep it together as it sits on my desk.

One funny aside - I meant to give the whole thing a more industrial look, and used some automotive paints. Well, when I was prepping the Death Star base, I accidentally used high-build primer, which basically reduced the base's detail to nothing. I tried sanding it but it was no use. Luckily, the exhaust port had a space the perfect size to accept the stand arm, which is where it all resides now.

Fun build! I think I'm going to do some more.

IMG_1507.JPGIMG_1508.JPGIMG_1509.JPG

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back