Need a couple basic letters/certificate of authenticity examples

trackhound

I've got some cool original on screen used props and finally want to get them authenticated/blessed by the propmaster before they retire and I loose track of them.
From these I'll cobble together an appropriate COA letter for them to sign.
Any examples out there you folks can post here or PM me with?
Thanks

As a private party, I would suggest you get some sort of letter from the prop guy explaining what the item is from, what it is (hero/stunt/backup/etc), how it was used, and how they were involved in the project. This adds to the provenance of the piece by putting a name to the prop (hopefully a credited name) as well as a back story. See if they have any photos of the piece or get some photos of them with it. Then put all that in a folder. Getting a certificate with a shiny sticker isn't always needed.

Gene

Thanks for the reply.
The 2 Prop Masters both said "Write me a letter and I'll sign it". No problem with them.
I just need to do the leg work and come up with a generic letter...not that hard but if I had a basic model to go from it would be easier.
Just looking for the basic elements that are standard in these "COAs"
Thanks again GVvfx

Thanks for the reply.
The 2 Prop Masters both said "Write me a letter and I'll sign it". No problem with them.
I just need to do the leg work and come up with a generic letter...not that hard but if I had a basic model to go from it would be easier.
Just looking for the basic elements that are standard in these "COAs"
Thanks again GVvfx
If you are completely lost,you can register to places like upwork,for a small fee you could find someone to make you a really professional letter

You don't want a standard 'COA' (they are worthless), and you don't want a 'generic letter' either. You want something like GKvfx mentioned- letters specifically stating what these pieces are, and where/how they were used. Not 'I certify this was used in Star Wars ROTJ', but 'This piece of wood was a section of Jabba's Sail Barge left behind after filming, recovered by me and my friends from the desert and verified by [prop master/etc].' (Example, you get the idea... :) ) If possible, include as much detail as possible as to how it was authenticated if it's not really obvious. When you print out the LOA (Letter Of Authenticity, what you want in this case), include, on the same paper, a photo of the piece in question, and a means to contact you that will work for the foreseeable future should the new prop owner ever need to ask a question about it. Have the prop master sign that... (And, if you are getting it signed in person, take a picture of him with the prop and the LOA if he's cool with that...)

That makes for a great provenance and history of the verification process. That's what is important. It reduces any doubt about the pieces, and makes a cool story to go with them...

As for COAs, if you are determined, they all look different anyway... Nice paper stock, fancy border, some kind of 'security' feature (hologram sticker, gold embossed sticker or something)... But if you aren't willing to _personally_ stand behind the COA for the rest of your life regardless of who owns the prop in the future, it's just a pretty piece of paper... The documented history is far more important.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back