"The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Space Adventure on Fox

I can't wait. I just hope if it does make it past the first season that it doesn't go the way of Family Guy, which I enjoyed, and push it too far.

That was just painful to watch. It's like he tried to copy Galaxy Quest minus the humor. Visually, it looks good, but the jokes were flat. Usually expect to see something in a trailer that ropes you in...for me, and I love just about everything Sci-Fi...it was a miss.

So I wonder how many of the people dismissing this as derivative will be tuning in for the sixth star trek tv show?
There's a difference between derivative: copying/spoofing/insulting an established show, and world-building: which is what TNG, DS9 and Voyager (and even Enterprise when it wasn't screwing continuity) did
I'm not sure which of those categories Discovery fits into yet, and I don't know if everyone is calling The Orville a Trek spoof simply because it's sci-fi comedy on a ship, or if it is ​that un-original

A parody is derivative by design, so I'm okay with that.

Watched the trailer; I didn't laugh out loud but didn't despise it. With other creatives in the mix besides MacFarlane, it might have hope. I don't mind him as a person or a performer, just as a show creator/writer/runner. So we'll see.

This looks like a high budget version of the YouTube series Voyage Trekkers with maybe some Galaxy Quest thrown in. This being a Fox show I expect it will be cancelled after a couple of episodes or last a few years.

Last edited by a moderator:
He is so prolific and throws so much up against the wall wholesale every now and then something sticks.

Only when on a leash. When he has full control, we get modern Family Guy and 1000 Ways to Die in the West.

Most talented writers/comedians usually have a niche they specialize in; they don't employ the "throw everything at the wall" approach. To me, that's quite the opposite of prolific. It's desperation.

Last edited:
Only when he's on a leash. When he has full control, we get modern Family Guy and 1000 Ways to Die in the West.

Most talented writers/comedians usually have a niche they specialize in; they don't usually use the "throw everything at the wall" approach. To me, that's actually the opposite of prolific. It's desperation.

I suspect this show will have a bit or two worth a laugh but I can't see this as some long sustainable series. Where do they go
after the Trek parody novelty wears off? That's going to come really fast.

I suspect this show will have a bit or two worth a laugh but I can't see this as some long sustainable series. Where do they go
after the Trek parody novelty wears off? That's going to come really fast.

Completely agree, but even then, I feel you're giving it the best case scenario possible. Seems McFarlane is best used for one-shots or skits for SNL or something like that. He barely has enough 'ideas' otherwise to fill a single movie.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back