Studio Scale Dornean Gunship [pic heavy]

nicholassagan

BRAHA’TOK!!!! Thanks to Rogue One this odd-ball ship from Return of the Jedi has been revitalized. I’ll be building it with all the donor parts plus some variations and modifications along the way. To start, I snagged the 1/16 vacu-form P-38 kit for the main hull, glued it together, filled it with resin for strength, then mounted the whole thing to to an old lamp base and flexi-arm. The seams also needed a good bit of putty and sanding but overall the shaping is solid.

dorn0557.jpg

dorn0558.jpg

dorn0559.jpg

dorn0755.jpg

dorn0797.jpg

dorn0798.jpg

dorn0947.jpg

dorn0948.jpg

dorn0949.jpg

dorn0994.jpg

dorn0995.jpg

I decided to use the longer Slave I skirts so this version could function more as a ram as well as a gunship. Some holes were drilled and cutout to make the bridge. I found some 1/144 and 1/160 ish figures to place in the bridge. The light isn’t balanced in the last photo but the figure silhouettes are visible. The Globetrotter donor kit is a fair bit expensive so I recreated the part needed as a 3D print.

dorn0645.jpg

dorn0646.jpg

dorn0647.jpg

dorn0997.jpg

dorn0998.jpg

dorn1570.jpg

dorn1572.jpg

dorn1575.jpg

Getting all the wing and fang-ish pieces done was another process that was aided with 3D prints. The Slave I kits I picked up a while back didn’t have those stand pieces (very distinctive hook shapes)…so they were printed. These wings/stabilizers are slightly modified from the studio kit but I think they’re still within character. The dish parts are pretty much the same thing, but with some Flak tire covers as bases.

dorn0999.jpg

dorn1000.jpg

dorn1002.jpg

dorn1003.jpg

dorn1006.jpg

dorn1037.jpg

dorn1038.jpg

dorn1039.jpg

dorn1051.jpg

dorn1030.jpg

dorn1044.jpg

dorn1045.jpg

dorn1047.jpg

dorn1050.jpg

Lighting is pretty simple for this one: 3 big orange LEDs for the engines and a couple of white LEDs for the bridge. One cool thing about the lamp base is that after removing two extra flex arms, the leftover openings can be used as spotlights. I’ll have to add some lenses to shape and diffuse the light but it will be cool to see it lit up.

dorn1558.jpg

dorn1554.jpg

dorn1564.jpg

dorn1565.jpg

dorn1568.jpg

dorn1567.jpg

dorn1566.jpg

Once the wiring was setup I could go about building up all the parts on the top. Since this is the 3-engine version the rear deck was altered a little bit. I still have the Tirpitz recreated parts inbound from the 3D printer (the side engines mount to them), in the meantime I used leftover parts from the Bismarck kit. Overall the parts placement is good but like I said, slightly modified from the Studio version. I added a turret to the top rear since, well, it is a gunship. I’ll be adding more as the build progresses.

dorn1065.jpg

dorn1553.jpg

dorn1555.jpg

dorn1556.jpg

dorn1557.jpg

dorn1559.jpg

dorn1560.jpg

dorn1561.jpg

dorn1562.jpg

dorn1563.jpg

Part three with 11 days to go! More parts are being added daily! The Tirpitz 3D printed parts are done and in place for the engine mounts. The wiring still needs to be secured and covered. Once those parts were laid down I was able to add on the Ferrari engine parts AND (since it’s a gunship) build a rear facing turret and mount.

Speaking of gunship turrets, a few more were strategically placed. They are all pretty much made up of Flak cannon parts with a couple additions for good measure. The bottom of the command section has static forward facing for blasting blockades. If the design choice of the longer Firespray skirt needs to be justified, it can serve as a battering ram/hull breaker (like an ice breaker) and the cannons could be ion to weaken shields prior to ramming.

Speaking of which, the command section is coming along. Bit by bit pieces are being added, all of which are in character.

I decided to cover the central seams as well with some classic kit parts. The side stabilizers are now reinforced as well. You’ll notice the bottom of the command section was augmented with an additional piece of the P-38. As I build, I keep in mind the motto: If it fits, it sticks.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back