Studio Scale McQuarrie A-Wing

nicholassagan

​This has been a grail kit for a long time and the opportunity to build one finally came up again! This is will join my growing studio scale ranks soon as I hope to have this wrapped up for Wonderfest.

The kit itself is pretty large but isn’t that complicated. Being resin it’s relatively heavy so a sturdier support structure is necessary. I found some old lamps in an alley some time ago and it turned out to be the perfect fit. Some gutting, securing, and rewiring and it’s a nice display element! Even the weird blue paint scrapes off for an all silver base.

mcqa0034.jpg

mcqa0706.jpg

mcqa0708.jpg

mcqa0769.jpg

mcqa0815.jpg

While the kit has some nice integrated details, it lacks all the cool little things that make up the fun bits IE it needs more greeblies. Oh, and a new pilot. I sourced one from the True Details 1/24 Luftwaffe pilot and modified his head a little to fit the helmet. WHICH, by the way, is a 3D print from a quick design of the A-Wing pilot helmet I did in Sketchup. Definitely looks the part.

mcqa0710.jpg

mcqa0720.jpg

mcqa0725.jpg

mcqa0726.jpg

mcqa0727.jpg

mcqa0728.jpg

The prep work was pretty straight forward in regards to getting the main pieces closed up. The brass supports on the cannons are just for strength. Luckily, no heavy routing was needed as the cockpit floor was thin enough to slice through and the edges of the hull halves were snipped for the wires.

mcqa0711.jpg

mcqa0712.jpg

mcqa0716.jpg

mcqa0837.jpg

mcqa0840.jpg

mcqa0866.jpg

more soon!!

I like that we are seeing a lot of McQuarie's original concepts making it into the new movies...the "new" A-wings look almost exactly like this.

AAAAnd to bring it back on topic...that looks amazing, subscribed! Looking forward to seeing the progress!

Thanks gents. Looking at the designs for the Ep VIII A-Wing, it looks almost exactly like a McQuarrie. I'm still deciding what scheme to paint this and I might go that route....

Anyhow! Work continues! The lighting looks great. Nice and bright.

mcqa0869.jpg

Once the pit is nice and detailed I’ll be able to cut open the dashboard and add some screens and blinking lights etc. Maybe that’s the next step.

mcqa0970.jpg

I added a bunch of extra details to the rear section.

mcqa0881.jpg

mcqa0883.jpg

mcqa0885.jpg

Even the pilot looks good!

mcqa0968.jpg

All the extra surface detailing is adding up, too.

mcqa0873.jpg

mcqa1083.jpg

mcqa0963.jpg

Rings on the engines match the on-screen version a bit more, too.

mcqa1073.jpg

mcqa1075.jpg

mcqa1078.jpg

Same with the extra bits on the lasers.

mcqa0961.jpg

I’m also planning on vacuforming some clear plastic to make the canopy glazing.

mcqa0951.jpg

As always, great stuff!

I decided I was unhappy with the paint on the one I did in 2012 so I'm in the process of stripping the paint down to bare resin for a re-work.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back