group invite for OT snowtrooper helmet scratch build

That's not a bad idea. Where might I find the info on the greebies.

Also, as far as the greebies on the snowy helmet, are all snowtrooper supposed to have these? I don't see them on every helmet, however, it's possible they are painted white so they are harder to see.

There was a research thread on this forum a couple years ago on the side Antenna greeblie thing.
Only the Snow Commander has the "turntable wheel" on the sides.

I was going to say, talk to TubaChris! He may be a bit tall for a snowtrooper :p but he has done the research!

Interested to see what you come up with!

I sure would love to have a casting off of screen used but they are either uber rare... or like has been said... just not out there!

Good luck!

kevin im a little late to this, but i love the way you see things! can't wait to see what you have in store for us

Thanks Danny
Fun for the whole family:D I just ordered a large plastic adult army helmet I believe will do the trick . I will need to cut it down but I ain't scared. I just joined blizzardforce.com so I will be pestering them for as much help info as possible:rolleyes

- - - Updated - - -

I was going to say, talk to TubaChris! He may be a bit tall for a snowtrooper :p but he has done the research!

Interested to see what you come up with!

I sure would love to have a casting off of screen used but they are either uber rare... or like has been said... just not out there!

Good luck!

Thanks, I'm going for every bit of info possible. I hope I don't disappoint

I love this helmet

Shoot me an email or hit me up on Facebook, my username is the same as my facebook one. I'm easier to get a hold of there if you want to talk more about this stuff. I can talk your ears off

Shoot me an email or hit me up on Facebook, my username is the same as my facebook one. I'm easier to get a hold of there if you want to talk more about this stuff. I can talk your ears off
careful what you ask for, I may end up being the first member you use the ignore or hide button on:lol

I bought an adult large plastic army helmet for about 11 dollars including shipping. It just arrived today. I put some tape around the area I plan on cutting off giving me the lid and base of the helmet. This is a rough template and not ready for cutting . I'm just showing my idea and seeing if others chime in before going too far

Nice a durable and should do the trick. The bonus part is, it comes with the inside harness to grab my big head.

IMG_3309.JPGIMG_3308.JPGIMG_3310.JPGIMG_3312.JPG

Basically, I'm cutting off the part that begins to flare out. Don't judge the helmet size using my hands. I have large hands most glooves won't fit. I wear extra large.

very clever kevin! :thumbsup
Thanks. The most important part of the scratch build for me is the lid. I figured by finding a helmet that could be cut would give me the best result. The party hats are too small but would have been easier to work with.

Once I get my cut correct, the next step will be cutting a template for the sides.

One more update on the army helmet. The dimensions are really close. Only shy of a cm or 1/4 inch off (short) for the width of the helmet lid but that's close enough for me.

As long as I don't cut the flare too short, I have more than enough as far as the depth is concerned.

Anyone planning on joining this build can buy the same helmet off ebay. Mine was tan but there are plenty of the same helmets in army green. They average 10 to 15 dollars. I will try to post a link if I'm allowed to do so. Either way, you see what it looks like. Just go to ebay and type in plastic army helmet and you shouldn't have any issues. I haven't looked in stores because it's most likely a seasonal item for Halloween. I would love to see a bunch of these builds. We do our best work as a group.

Began work on the helmet. I decided not to cut the lid even. I only cut off the flare at the front of the helmet. I noticed that by leaving the helmet uncut, it would give me the natural contour for the flow of the sides on the snowtrooper look. Just waiting on weldon 16 to arrive.

20170523_195915.jpg20170523_202205.jpg

So who does vacuforming? My plastics aren't bonding well to each other. I can use screws however, I'm thinking about having my helmet lid vacuformed. Anyone interested?

This one has been on my bucket list to build for a while, watching with interest. :) Where did you pick up the helmet? I have a simple vacuformer, might be able to help with that part.

I use a "RapidFix" multipurpose glue for ABS, HIPS, Styrene, and PVC and it always works. As Chris said though, tons of options for any plastic out there!

sent from the cockpit of SLAVE I

This one has been on my bucket list to build for a while, watching with interest. :) Where did you pick up the helmet? I have a simple vacuformer, might be able to help with that part.

Off ebay. Can't post ebay links, but just search costume army helmet. It cost around 15 dollars. There are green ones and tan like mine. PM sent.

- - - Updated - - -

What materials are you using and trying to attach? There's a lot of options out there.
The helmet is a hard pastic, not sure it's abs. I'm using styrene sheets to attach.

- - - Updated - - -

I use a "RapidFix" multipurpose glue for ABS, HIPS, Styrene, and PVC and it always works. As Chris said though, tons of options for any plastic out there!

Can I buy this in a store , or do I need to order it online?

I buy "Rapidfix" glue from my local Lowe's. Look in the paint section where the adhesives are... It should be a bottle with a blue cone-shaped lid.. I'll post pics tomorrow of the bottle:)

If you form my lid, you can have as many copies as you want . This lid is great because it a matches up to the correct size. If you form it with styrene, it would work perfectly.

Let me know if you want to do this and we can make arrangements

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back