Sanding Nubs

BobaTi

Beginner question here. I've watched a ton of YouTube videos on dealing with nubs.
I've seen people use varying ranges of sandpaper grits.

Some start with 100 and finish with 300, others work in the thousands.

So I have two questions:

Is there a consensus on the best range of grits to use when smoothing nubs to the original polish?

What grits are the buffing/polishing sponges typically? Would a 12000 grit be comparable to one of these buffing sponges?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you mean the points where an injected plastic kit part attaches to the "sprue"? It doesn't usually require polishing to the original smoothness but if you are working to that goal, I recommend a 4-in-1 nail sanding stick, designed to sand fingernails to a polished finish. Find them at beauty supply places (along with lots of other useful sanding blocks, etc. - strange how much finishing nails take!)

Having all the four needed grits on one stick makes it really convenient for any smoothing/polishing task.

Cheers!
Regards, Robert

If I can get my sprue cutters in the right position there is very little left- usually a scrape with a blade or a little work with the Xacto razor file cleans it up just fine.
Yea that's how I usually go, I drag the blade backwards

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I use Style X brand sanding sticks and have every grit they make. I usually only use 400, 600, 800 grits. The sticks with multiple grits mentioned above are also handy. Early on I was obsessed with filing the nub down flawlessly and would polish it with a 1200 grit stick but that didnt last long. My recommendation is get a multi stick or a 400 snd 800. 400 to quickly knock back a poor cut and 800 to finish the job.

If it's on the outside of a mating edge, as long as you can get a tight fit between parts, it's sometime best to assemble then sand the excess off.

Most of the time I use a blade to get rid of anything big then a few quick strokes of a nail file and 800 grit to finish. If I end up with any scratches primer won't fill, I use 1200 then 2500 to sand those out.

You all might think this is weird, but I've started using a piece of blank newsprint paper for the final rubdown after sanding.

People don't realise just how abrasive some papers can be, but it does a great job of bringing sanded surfaces up to a semi-polished state and highlighting scratches that might need a little more attention.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back