Rocket's Nite-Finder NERF gun from GOTG2.

I think you've nailed it on that one.

I've managed to find a poor quality screenshot of the blasters in the film. This is the key shot of them in the film that will be invaluable once the Blu-ray is out for matching paint deco and weathering. I've also been trying to work out if the screen used blasters have had their triggers removed as shown on the Hot Toys versions. The shadow on the ground of blaster 1 on this picture suggests so.

RocketBlastersMovie.png

I've also been trying to work out if the screen used blasters have had their triggers removed as shown on the Hot Toys versions. The shadow on the ground of blaster 1 on this picture suggests so.

View attachment 731009

It does look like it. However, the CG Nite-Finder as seen in the trailer does have a trigger. So the question is, do the physical and CG differ, and did Hot Toys base their sculpts on the physical props? (And by extension does the physical QuikLite have a copper cone on the front of it like the toy?)

Personally, if the CG had the triggers I'm happy leaving them in. The guns were CG 90% of the time.

You're right, although the triggers in the trailer are more like traditional lever triggers. I reckon they were removed from the physical prop to make it easier to animate Rocket's itchy trigger fingers.

Like you, I'm happy to go with the standard Nerf trigger as it is a good compromise between the physical prop and what we see on screen with the final product.

There's a Desert Eagle barrel extension that also looks promising for the Nite-Finder barrel. I've also picked up this one along with the other model and I'll see what looks more correct in hand.

s-l300.jpg

The Swiss Arms flashlight arrived today, and it's pretty much bang on, barring the end cap. If you can't get your hands on the exact part, this is a good substitute.

IMG_20170525_154845.jpg

I'm considering modeling a copy of the real endcap and making it available on Shapeways for people who need to modify this version.

The original part is a torch off of a UKArms SA80 spring rifle. You can find the entire rifle with torch for about $35 shipped on eBay within the US. Not as cheap as the Swiss Arms version but less expensive than importing just the torch from the UK.

s-l300 (2).jpg

Yeah, I noticed that the flashlight seems to be a generic unbranded type that comes bundled with a lot of airsoft guns (as seen below). It makes me wonder if the prop department on the film got the torch from another gun and maybe used other parts for the greeblies and rail mounts?

1J2M180B2.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

The Swiss Arms flashlight arrived today, and it's pretty much bang on, barring the end cap. If you can't get your hands on the exact part, this is a good substitute.

View attachment 731374

I'm considering modeling a copy of the real endcap and making it available on Shapeways for people who need to modify this version.

It's so cool seeing this come together. I haven't had chance to start collecting the parts for my build yet so I'm excited to see your progress.

Yeah, I noticed that the flashlight seems to be a generic unbranded type that comes bundled with a lot of airsoft guns (as seen below). It makes me wonder if the prop department on the film got the torch from another gun and maybe used other parts for the greeblies and rail mounts?

View attachment 731656

- - - Updated - - -

Possibly. I went to see GOTG2 again last night and I noticed a lot of the Ravager guns had that airsoft look about them. Stallone's gun at the very end of the movie I noticed grooved cylinders on either side that looked a lot like the ones on the sides of the Retaliator.

It's so cool seeing this come together. I haven't had chance to start collecting the parts for my build yet so I'm excited to see your progress.

Thanks. I'm pretty excited myself.

A couple more grabs of that doohicky on top of the Retaliator from the first trailer. It's got some sort of notch at the front which is making me think maybe this is one half of something hinged?

Screen Shot 2017-05-26 at 11.11.07 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-26 at 11.10.53 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-26 at 11.13.51 PM.png

I posted this in its own thread but thought I would add it here too. Thanks for all the great finds guys. Through the discussion I realized I had all but one of the pieces in my pin of parts and nerf accessories. I needed the scope which I was able to get from a 20 airsoft shotgun on ebay.

View attachment 733103
So we are talking about this gun above.

The base as discovered was a Nerf Nite Finder with 2 barrels from 2 Nerf Maverick air tubes (I had some from an old build) along with a generic airsoft barrel extension and flashlight used as a scope.

I was a very easy build that went together very quickly.
View attachment 733104

So after dissembling the main gun I actually cut the threads out of the airsoft barrel and inserted them in to the Nerf gun. I used Devcon's plastic welder and Aves apoxie sculpt to fill secure it and fill in the void for stability.

View attachment 733105
I then secured the Nerf air tubes together with metal rod between the two for stability. It is surprisingly stable even before I glued it.

View attachment 733106
I filled in the back portion of the 2 parts that hang down with some polystyrene to serve as a backstop for my next step.

View attachment 733107
I filled in the two gaps with more aves and pushed the air rams into the soft apoxie before it set up. I applied rubbing alcohol to allow the X parts of the ram to go in out until it set up. I could have just left them in there and the aves would have held it but I wanted to sand it smooth after it cured. The fit in so well I would not even need to glue it...but I did to be safe.

View attachment 733108
The final step was the assembly and the scope which came today. Now I just need a few more greeblies for the part of above the top barrel and the piece coming out of the flashlight.

Now onto Rocket's other gun made from a Nerf Retaliator (which I also had a spare one of)

Last edited:
Congrats! I think you're the first to do this "correctly."

Which $20 airsoft did you buy for the flashlight? I'm still waiting for the much more expensive order I placed for just the flashlight alone to ship.

Someone already bought a set of my Shapeways parts for the Retaliator. Was that you?

The long rods are fine but the short ones are about 20% too small.

- - - Updated - - -

I could put up just the short rods as a separate file when I get home if you want to correct it.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back