Rocket's Nite-Finder NERF gun from GOTG2.

AnubisGuard

Master Member
Just caught this in the theater while watching GOTG2: one of Rocket's two guns he picks up during the brig escape sequence is based on a Nerf Nite-Finder. Looks like it had some sort of flashlight attached on top as a scope.

GOTG2 Rocket Gun Cap.png
GOTG2 Rocket Gun Full.png

(Screencaps from the second trailer.)

Anybody got any more information about the prop? It looked like there were physical versions being used by the crew/guards in the same scene.

I noticed this too. Here are a few pics I've found from toys and statues, none of which are totally accurate as each one is different, but they give a good overall sense of the parts and colours.

Hopefully when the Blu-ray is released we can get some good shots of this because I'd really like to build a screen accurate one for my collection. There aren't enough cool blasters in the MCU if you ask me.

16804512_10154239535562344_7688859669908287413_o.jpgHot-Toys-Rocket-Raccoon-Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-2-Figure-Guns.jpgIMG_1699-0.jpgC_zJyrBVwAAb1F-.jpg

Ok, so what started as a passing interest in these blasters has turned into a full on obsession.

I've managed to ID the second blaster as a heavily modified Nerf Retaliator:

5471c9c15f9bef80d0140984160ac1d2.jpg

You can see from that photo that the middle section has been removed but the front detailing has been reattached just in front of the trigger guard as seen in this shot from the trailer:

Guardians-Galaxy-2-Trailer-Rocket-Raccoon.jpg

Also, in reference to the OP's original question, you can briefly see the physical props in this video:

Last edited by a moderator:
I noticed this too. Here are a few pics I've found from toys and statues, none of which are totally accurate as each one is different, but they give a good overall sense of the parts and colours.

Hopefully when the Blu-ray is released we can get some good shots of this because I'd really like to build a screen accurate one for my collection. There aren't enough cool blasters in the MCU if you ask me.

View attachment 729060View attachment 729061View attachment 729062View attachment 729063

If those sculpts are accurate, they didn't do anything except fill in the company info and glue on a few parts. The base Nite-Finder is intact. And I thought Terra Nova was shameless.... ;)

If those sculpts are accurate, they didn't do anything except fill in the company info and glue on a few parts. The base Nite-Finder is intact. And I thought Terra Nova was shameless.... ;)

Haha. Yeah, it's quite surprising for hero props for a main character. Still, good news for us replica prop builders! :D

Found the scope and mount. It's an airsoft flashlight. Seems to be pretty cheap too (although I can't find them for sale here in the UK).

Products311-560x374-431056.jpg

The barrel extension seems to be a standard bit of airsoft kit too:

s-l1600.jpg

Just need to ID the two emitter/greeblie type things on the front now.

Found the scope and mount. It's an airsoft flashlight. Seems to be pretty cheap too (although I can't find them for sale here in the UK).

View attachment 729291

The barrel extension seems to be a standard bit of airsoft kit too:

View attachment 729293

Just need to ID the two emitter/greeblie type things on the front now.

Amazing work! Thank you.

The flashlight in the movie appears to have a dome lens on it, though the Hot Toys shows some kind of copper spike. Neither match the stock flashlight.

Got some more reference shots. The first couple are from the cover of Empire and are handy for working out the length of the barrel extension on the Nite Finder and back detailing on the second blaster.

RocketBlaster1Empire.pngRocketBlaster2Empire.png

The next two are screengrabs from trailers and also show off back detailing on both blasters:

baby-groot-and-rocket-raccoon-in-guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-2-new.jpgguardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-2rocket.png

- - - Updated - - -

Also, it looks like somebody has beaten us to it... :lol

rocket_guardians_of_the_galaxy_vol_2_prop_gun_by_fridator-db4jrwd.jpg

We have an ID on the front emitter pipe type things. At least one of them is this plunger part from a Nerf Maverick:

RocketNerfPlunger.png

The other one could be the same part disassembled and slightly modified as seen in this picture:

plunger1.jpg

It's kind of annoying that I'll need to buy a total of three Nerf pistols just to build that one blaster but I'm so happy that I will be able to get this almost 100% screen accurate in terms of parts (depending on finding the flashlight "scope").

I also tried to extrapolate the length of the barrel extension by working out the length of the entire blaster compared to the length of the Nite Finder. I estimate that the barrel extension is around 5" long and the closest I can find online is 4.5" so I'm going with that.

A product called a Swiss Arms Optics kit contains a flashlight nearly identical to the QuikLite. The end cap is wrong, but the clamp/mounting bracket looks closer to the one seen in the movie. These are easy to find on eBay and Amazon.

81DsXHeSi5L._SL1500_.jpg

http://www.airsoftnmore.com/swiss-a...sory-kit-w-reflex-sight-flashlight-laser.html

Edit: and the Swiss Army Tactical Kit has a foregrip with a tailcap that looks suspiciously like the QuikLite endcap. Hmm.

Last edited:
If you were to cut out the middle segment and graft the front and back together, this would look very close to the Retaliator-based gun's barrels:

cm-acc-c124_1_mark.jpg

EDIT: In fact, looking at the shots of the blaster in the prop vid suttykins posted, I think this may be the exact part.

Screen Shot 2017-05-23 at 11.43.56 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-23 at 11.44.40 PM.png

The spacing of the three dots matches, as does the chamfered groove behind the first segment. I just ordered three of them off KHMountain.com; I'll report how they look in-hand.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back