Alien: Covenant (Post-release)

*raises hand*

I have a question. Why did David help the crew hunt down and kill the second Xenomorph on the Covenant? Why not trap the crew and lead the Xenomorph right to them? That way, the people who want to kill David's 'perfect organism' are dead, David has his loyal pet Xeno at his side and the film ends way more in his favor? Was 2,000 colonists not enough?

David: 2,000 frozen souls ripe for experimentation!... No. 2,000 is too low.
MU-TH-UR: 2,000 too low?
David: Yes. It must be... 2,002!

Didnt you see the part where That Xeno head butted the monitor? I guess he couldnt control that one.

I went in with nothing but TV commercials.....I avoided RPF threads except prop related ones.

It was a good movie. Not academy award material but good, a notch above Prometheus. I dug Davids experimental side and how he went full evil. He didnt want to be the slave, he wanted to be the God.

I caught the fact that he killed the good robot because MR Good Robot had skin that healed within seconds.

A year ago, I flew out a bunch of studio execs to a test screening in Phoenix. I asked one of the guys, "Why Phoenix.....Dont they have a decent theater in LA?"
He responded, "Everybody is a critic in LA.....'In the second, act the protagonist didnt fully reach his potential.....' ". If a flick has a decent story, decent acting, good visuals and decent editing....im happy. Bonus if its in space.

Didnt you see the part where That Xeno head butted the monitor? I guess he couldnt control that one.

I think it's safe to assume that David and the Xeno have to be in the same room with each other in order for David to communicate with the Xeno. Unless you're implying that David is now telepathic which is just silly.

Yeah.... the Xeno headbutted the monitor because it is highly perceptive....it noticed a subtle change in "David" probably the Xeno recognized it wasn't David, rather an imposter...Walter.

I enjoyed it for the same reason I enjoy the Halloween and Friday the 13th movies. I know what I'm getting myself into when I buy the ticket. Plus eye candy in props/sets.

It's been a week and it still hasn't hit 50 million in the US. Worldwide, it still hasn't hit profit territory. Is this bad enough to stop the sequels?

That would be anyone's guess, but I notice it opening in China on June 6, or at least part of it will, given the Chinese censor's take on this sort of material :facepalm

The peculiar thing is that Prometheus never opened in China at all.

That would be anyone's guess, but I notice it opening in China on June 6, or at least part of it will, given the Chinese censor's take on this sort of material :facepalm

The peculiar thing is that Prometheus never opened in China at all.

They have a couple hoops to jump through in order to get a China release. For instance if you film there or have a certain amount of post production done by Chinese companies.....you are in. This flys in the face of embargo's on movies that have religious or mystical themes.

From boxofficemojo.com Covenant has doubled its intake overseas compared to the US. So It looks like it will rake in enough to greenlight more Aliens movies. Its at 171mil as of today.

If it was not for the foreign market this movie would have tanked...HORRIBLY, Baywatch beat it this weekend in the States :lol

Fassbender once again delivered a stunning performance. I realize it is an Alien movie, so of course the focus would be the Alien, but I would have much rather seen a movie following David and his attempts at creation instead of dropping in and saying, "oh, this, this, and this happened, by the way here are two xenomorphs." He has a whole ship full of colonists to experiment on and I'd really like to see that take center stage. I feel like Ridley had the chance to make a very cool and different movie and instead took the easy formulaic road.

Over-all I didn't hate the movie, but it's not something I'll be rushing back to watch a second time.

They have a couple hoops to jump through in order to get a China release. For instance if you film there or have a certain amount of post production done by Chinese companies.....you are in. This flys in the face of embargo's on movies that have religious or mystical themes.

From boxofficemojo.com Covenant has doubled its intake overseas compared to the US. So It looks like it will rake in enough to greenlight more Aliens movies. Its at 171mil as of today.

The home market will be a winner as well, already pre ordered the steelbook.

They should have kept its original release date of August so it did not have to compete with back to back family friendly movies like Guardians and Pirates, but worldwide it will do just fine.

Considering movie math says double the costs to make a profit, profitability is probably north of 270 million. 97 million production cost plus marketing, which was probably around 40 million. Is that a fair estimate?

Considering movie math says double the costs to make a profit, profitability is probably north of 270 million. 97 million production cost plus marketing, which was probably around 40 million. Is that a fair estimate?

It is with exceptions. It doesn't include home video and licensing. We will get a third film in this series.

I wonder what Ridley will have "learned" from this one. I'm out at this point. I'm so turned off by the David thing, and the literal nuking of the engineers storyline and its religious angles that I don't think I can be lured back into Alien. It's just fallen too far from grace. I watched the original last night and it almost brings a tear to my eye thinking what this could have been.

I'm still wondering why these movies needed to be prequels to begin with. Is a build up to the original ALIEN something that movie really needs? Even if you were a fan of Prometheus and Covenant, wouldn't having this whole thing end on ALIEN be kind of anti-climactic? Th original movie on it's own is a masterpiece at how it puts you in the shoes of the characters by limiting what the audiences knows to what the characters know, which is jack squat. Watching three (or four?) of these prequel movies and than jumping into ALIEN as the last movie sort of comes off as anti-climactic.

The movie started to lose credibility early on; for example, when a whole bunch of key personnel went to explore an unknown planet, then on top of that silliness they went without a protection suit and helmet. That was really DUMB and STUPID. What an insult to the scientific and space exploration community and to any reasonably sensible and intelligent person who watched the movie. Allowing the actors to do such silly nonsense such as that just so the movie producers satisfy their narrative is really obvious and cringe worthy.

Last edited:
I've seen this movie twice now, and i really like it, i might even love it.

The story was always moving, there were a bunch of interesting monsters, some gore (not enough, and nothing as gross as the medpod from prometheus).

BUT, the alien isn't scary. its more of a nuisance, and that's an issue in an Alien movie. The infection/body horror stuff is great, the facehuggers creepy, even the neomorph was unsettling (especially the young ones in the field, but the alien.... killed two people we had zero interest in who were taking a very inappropriately times sexy shower then wandered around some corridors and fell into space.

no tension at all for the final xenomorph scenes, which is weird. Where's it being a stealthy predator hiding among the pipes and dangling from chains, using the ducts?

it was kinda like a moth that got into their room, they just shoo'd it towards a window then blew it out. no fuss, no muss.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back