My 1/35 Jupiter 2 (4' hero version)

The Moebius Jupiter 2 is essentially a model of a model, that being the 4' hero Miniature. They compromised the interior to fit in the 4 footers hull. Although the interior is beautiful(I have another with the full interior), I always wanted what I saw on the TV screen.

I filled in and sanded smooth the side hatch on the upper hull(There was never a hatch on the Jupiter 2 during production of the series, a scribed hatch was added later during a "restoration".

I scratch built the Hero interior which consisted of a new console and ledge for the three computers to rest on(Every Jupiter 2 model I have seen has the computers way back..too far to fit the interior in.

I mixed and matched several figures to get the look of the very crude figures used in the actual prop.

I fabricated the upper bubble spinner, and with the use of a dc motor, allowed it to spin as it did on the hero. There are NO lights in the upper bubble. The reflective scanner would catch the interior and exterior lighting to give the effect.

The model was painted Flat Aluminum.

My Model...

And the original Hero...

I love that your model doesn't have the access door! looks so much better without it. My dream one day is to own a 4' model with working landing gears!

I just re-watched The Derelict again last week because of the J2 SFX. The breakout scene has always been one of my favorites. Note that the ship rises, pivots, and then at about 90 degrees of turn there's an ever-so-slight bank to the ship's left as they make their way out. The cheesy music that plays after that part I could do without, but the scene still resonates nearly 50 years later! (And very much makes me want to replicate your effort!!)

I am just drooling over this model! I love how you have the rotating part in the top and even the gap in the fusion core lights! I have only seen one model (a modified Trendmasters toy) that has the exactly correct fusion core light pattern. Im surprised a lot of the light kits for the Polar/Moebius builds don't try to simulate it? I find it very unique and always notice when a model just uses a basic chase pattern.

My 1/35th J2 is on the way. :) Agreed - you have an excellent fusion core solution, Mark. It looks like a more complex variation of a chaser that still uses LED's, but the leading and trailing LED's are dimmed instead of turned completely off. The original core was mechanical, as we know from the restoration of the Gemini 2. But an LED electronic solution does have more reliability!

Last edited:
By the way, I've been looking for references and aftermarket items - where did you get your plans for the various modifications, Mark?

By the way, I've been looking for references and aftermarket items - where did you get your plans for the various modifications, Mark?
Many Sincere thanks Guys! I didn't think there would be any interest In this stuff (Unless a Storm Trooper helmet was involved!)

Steve I really only used my Blu Rays and photos gathered over the years for all my Mods.

Truth In Modeling Disclaimer: I'm being lazy. Sorta kinda. ;)

I've really wanted to build the 1/35 J2 for a long time, but had zero interest in going gonzo on the interior. Too much detail, too much expense. The "Hero" model variation negates a tonne of work on the "dollhouse" aspect of the build. If you wouldn't mind sharing your research docs - via PM if you wish - that would be most cool, but totally up to you. Perhaps some sort of collaboration could result?

The truth is that you pushed me over the edge with your tribute to "The Derelict."

Monday can't get here fast enough.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back