Hellboy (2019)

Re: Hellboy R-rated film reboot announced

I say, 'HOLY crap.' David Harbour is great, watched him in THE NEWSROOM, thought he was better than great in STRANGER THINGS. I think it's time for him to get some success.

And Neil Marshall's no slouch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hm. I am having more and more problems with those reboots that happen so very quickly after the initial launch of a franchise. But what are we looking at? At comic book movies. And what do comics live and thrive on? The diversity of the artists and the manifold of styles those various artist bring with them, each week or month or whatever their publishing schedule is.

I am not excited, but interested. Although I cannot see the benefits of an r-rated version.

Trying to cash in on the piggy bank that DEADPOOL busted wide open.

Deadpool was IMO quite overhyped. I personally think that Kick-Ass did a better job at R-rated Superhero movie, but since Deadpool had the larger fanbase it got more attention and being a Marvel property helped it in blending in with other main stream movies.

It's clear that Guillermo and Perlman WANTED to do Hellboy 3, so this is really a slap in the face after whatever prevented that from happening. And Guillermo has been pretty quiet on Twitter regarding the news.

Not mad at this at all.

I think it's going to suffer from the 'reboot' label. That's a trigger word now a days for a lot of opinionated folks that feel they have ownership of a property they enjoy.

Can you imagine if Everytime a comic title change artists & writers, they called it a reboot, or if a property like Star Wars called every new novel, written by a different author a reboot?

It's just a current buzz word, that unfortunately fits, but causes instant rage.

The problem is that the source material never really struck me as particularly R-rated, if at all. Just on the surface it seems as if outside parties have talked Mignola into it, in an attempt to "cash in" on the current R-rated comic book movie craze. But I could be completely wrong... it might have been Mignola's idea, and of course he's free to do whatever he wants with it.

You expect Del Toro to tweet his disdain and **** on someone else's project? He's better than that, surely.

I thought I'd be angry about this, but I'm not.
David Harbour is awesome.

It's clear that Guillermo and Perlman WANTED to do Hellboy 3, so this is really a slap in the face after whatever prevented that from happening. And Guillermo has been pretty quiet on Twitter regarding the news.
I totally agree. I dont get how this is getting made, when Hellboy 3 cant get made. I dont understand. The first two hellboys were awesome. The practical effects work was amazing. Part of me is glad its getting made, but the other part is pissed that guillermo and perlman dont get to finish the trilogy.

I agree with the R-rating confusion. Maybe they could go a bit more bloody, but Hellboy is so much about spookiness & atmosphere. There's no need for language & gore.

I was kinda confused about everyone's excitement for the Logan & Deadpool rating. I've read the comics, & the higher rating would be perfect for the blood, but adding the extreme language, mostly for laughs, in my mind, deviates from the source material.

That being said, I'm not the creator of the property, so I'll just enjoy what we get.

I'm actually OK with Del Toro not directing. The Golden Army, while a great film, was not a Hellboy movie; it was a Del Toro film that just happened to have Hellboy in it. As much as I like his work, his visual tastes DO tend to make themselves known and they are very different than the tone of the comics (which are among the few comics I still read regularly). I'm also pretty glad that he didn't end up doing the Hobbit for the same reason.

But replacing Perlman will be hard: He defined the character onscreen. Harbour looks the part, so maybe if they went with a younger Hellboy... set it in an earlier time and kept more closely to the tone and look of the books, maybe it would work. The only thing then is... how do you find a new Professor Broom?

Screen Shot 2017-05-09 at 1.18.02 PM.png

The problem is that the source material never really struck me as particularly R-rated, if at all. ...

Exactly my impression. To me it always was a blend of Lovecraft, romantic ghost stories (no, not a guy called Sam creating pottery, but late 19th century short stories and novels) like Frankenstein and Dracula, Action Adventure alá Indiana Jones (I know, I know, 1930ies+ serials...), Scooby Doo-esque antics, steam punk, X-Files etc. with clearly defined baddies (who does not love to see some nazis and their ghosts punched and pommeled into their krauteating kissers?)

Fun. R-Rated sounds like a lot of unnecessarily violent visuals.

We had watched HB1 with my bonus daughter just two weeks ago, and despite the violence in it she loved it. The acts of violence like Kroenen killing Broom or the guards ending up as snacks for Sammael or the guide being sacrificed to conjure Rasputin were IMO showing very, very subtly, elliptical story telling of violence at its finest. It is a harsh contrast to all the head shots and brains flying at you even in TV shows nowadays. Violence for the sheer wow factor of the fx is violence p*rn, nothing else. That being written, I do wonder what an r-rating is going to add to the already very rich texture of a Hellboy movie.

By the way, the origin story of HB and his relationship to broom was IMO shown so damn perfect and heart warming that this is IMO going to be very, very tough to best for a reboot. But I am a sucker for how Supes came to Earth and was found by the Kents in Superman:The movie, so I guess it may be just a sentimentality or softness on my part re:eek:rphan demon prince and foster father, and a new telling of his origin may be possible.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back