Star Wars Black Series 40th Anniversary Vintage Card Figures

Collectorchris

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Everyone, I just learned of these the other day when I was in a local Wal-Mart. I managed to pick up the Early Bird DV boxed set, OWK, Leia, Luke, and went to a Game Stop for the exclusive R5 D4. I am having trouble finding R2 and Han Solo from the first wave without paying 2-3 times retail from the Bay. My understanding is that Wave 2 does not come out until June. Any information of the reason of the R2 and Han shortage anyone has heard of, or are these more desirable for some reason?

I am not normally a figure or toy collector, but I used to have all the originals as a child in the 70's/80's and the cards drew me to these. Somehow was like a recapturing of my childhood. I have these displayed around my replica prop lightsabers currently and really enjoy looking at them in the bubbles/cards. My son grew up on the 90's re-release in the POTF line, so somewhere in his old toy chest most of these reside. Perhaps I should dig some of these out to display with the others.

Anyway, just looking for thoughts on this particular line any information about places to shop online, I have tried the obvious online sources such as (W-Mart, K-Mart, ToysRus, Amazon, and HasbroToys). I would also like any info on other exclusives I may not be aware of if anyone knows of some.

You'll have to shell out some more money for the Celebration 2017 exclusive Luke X-Wing Pilot figure.

The Han and R2 are only one per case in the first wave. I lucked out and found a just opened case at one of my local Walmart stores and was able to grab both of them. Haven't seen them anywhere else since.

I managed to get a Han ordered late last night on Wal Mart.com. I got lucky and managed to catch it right after a stock update. The hunt for the R2 still goes on.

Yes, you are correct on all of those sites to try. Good call on the Han on WM. Why no R2 I do not know. Was able to acquire R5D4 myself and have seen all others but am unsure on this line myself.
Probably will return the R5D4 soon unless I change my mind.
Would like to know how far they will go with this line though 1st.

I scored 2 R2D2's on WalMart.com in the last two days, one delivery and one pickup. I also pre-ordered wave 2. Now I just need to find Luke X-Wing Pilot from Celebration.

I scored 2 R2D2's on WalMart.com in the last two days, one delivery and one pickup. I also pre-ordered wave 2. Now I just need to find Luke X-Wing Pilot from Celebration.

Hasbro already released him on their website shortly after Celebration. That one might have to be an eBay purchase or trade with someone on a Star Wars collector group.

Has anyone noticed the 2 different packaging variants of R2? On one, he has the booster packaged on his legs, the other has them on the side of the bubble. I noticed this the other day and will have to wait and see if it is a product of an earlier promotional pic or it got packaged two different ways.

I pre-ordered r2 and r5 from gamestop I'll try to remember to look at the packaging this evening for you.

Here is what I am referring to:

attachment.php

attachment.php

My shipped one came in packaged as the bottom pic, I also have an instore pickup for tomorrow afternoon as well. We will see how it is packaged tomorrow.

Last edited:
I love these figures! I pre-ordered mine from Big Bad Toy Shop as I knew availability locally would be really sketchy so I've got all of the first wave. Can't wait for the second wave.

They'll probably hit my local Wal Mart about this time next year and I'm only half kidding. As of last week the only place in town that seems to stock them regularly at all, rather oddly, is Best Buy. I ordered the R5-D4 from GameStop online and had to resort to eBay for the Luke X-Wing since I missed the 3-minute window where it was available from the online toy shop. The only one I've purchased locally is the Darth Vader set -- which has a production variation as well: the earlier production run has yellow-amber colored eyes while the later version has darker amber eyes (and looks more accurate IMO). Interesting about the packaging variation on R2-D2. (Edit -- I checked my R2-D2 and it is packaged like the bottom photo with the rockets attached)

Keep an eye out later this year -- they're doing a special Luke with his Landspeeder in vintage packaging which looks awesome!

Dave

Last edited:
SDCC will have that Luke with Landspeeder, with Luke wearing a poncho and a more weathered paint job on the Landspeeder.

I will keep a watch out for that!

As far as the R2, it looks as though the package with booster on the side and regular leg panels in place is the least common version.

Has anyone actually seen the earlier R2-D2 packaging variation in "real life"? I'm just the kind of nerd who is interested enough in packaging and production variations to collect them. I've looked at rebelscum, JTA, google, and checked all 1,153 'sold' listings on eBay and haven't seen an actual "in hand" photo of that variation. Every eBay listing and product review I've seen has used one of two Hasbro stock photos so I'm starting to question whether that variation ever made it into production.

I'm either missing it entirely, which is probably the case, or if it did make it into circulation it was replaced immediately and is probably so rare it's way outside anything I could pay for it by now but I'm very curious to see what the story is.

Dave

I have emailed a couple of eBay sellers using the first photo and have not actually seen a real life variation, I am still looking though.

i am surprised at the price surge in the Luke celebration exclusive. Went from high $90 mark last week to $130 mark this weekend.

I now have splurged on the celebration exclusive foil backed Luke X-Wing pilot. I guess at this point I am invested in collecting whatever comes next from this series as addictive as it is. If anyone finds release dates or info on new stuff that comes out please pass along. Is there any specific forum that discusses this series anyone could point me towards.

I am still researching the R2 alternate packing but am starting to agree the variation was a publicity photo that didn't make it or was so small a number it may be impossible to find.

I started with the Pilot Exclusive and was originally just going to have the one but after the first wave release I was emotionally affected by the memories of 1978 and went all in. I currently have the R5, the early bird Vader as well as the entire first wave. I have no idea where I will put them, especially when wave 2 shows up.

lol--I hear you. I have NO idea where I am going to put this stuff. 90% of my prop and toy "collection" is packed in boxes waiting for the available space to fill.

@ collectorchris et al; I keep an eye out over at the Jedi Temple Archives for release dates and other product news (and endless editorials about how Hasbro sucks and everything should be super-articulated 3.75" Vintage Collection action figures). Snarkiness aside, the JTA also has an outstanding database that is constantly updated with detailed photos and information about every Star Wars action figure that has ever been released, EVER, its production/packaging variations, when the sculpt has been re-used or re-issued, etc. It was an invaluable resource to help me complete my Darth Vader collection.

Yakface.com is also very good too and has a similar format to JTA so I bounce back and forth between them. As far as forums go, rebelscum is about the best I've seen for both vintage and modern collecting and for vintage collectors specifically (everything before 1995) take a look at the Imperial Gunnery Forum (great bunch of guys but don't ever mention the word "reproduction" over there, lol)

Dave

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back