How to make arcrylic paint NOT stick to plastic

carves

Hey Guys,

I wonder if there is a way to make acrylic paint NOT sticking to a plastic surface.

Is there somekind of wax or liquid that can do this ?

Thanks in advanced

Well, this has really piqued my interest. Why would you not want it to stick? You could just not spray/brush it on in the first place.

Is there a particular effect you are looking to recreate?

I'd be interested to know what you're looking to accomplish.

-Fred

Actually yes. I build plastic tank in 1/35th scale, and I'm trying to create the natural effect where the paint chips off from the body of the tank.

I tried many techniques and I believe the best way if to find out how to make the paint not sticking when sprayed into an area so the paint can be pealed off revealing another color underneath it.

Thanks,

Actually yes. I build plastic tank in 1/35th scale, and I'm trying to create the natural effect where the paint chips off from the body of the tank.

I tried many techniques and I believe the best way if to find out how to make the paint not sticking when sprayed into an area so the paint can be pealed off revealing another color underneath it.

Thanks,

Ahhh, you just want to mask an area. Easiest method would be the salt method.

There are two ways to do it;

First, paint the base layer that you want to show through and seal it using something like Future Floor Wax

Now for the masking

1) Take some table and a little bit of water. Mix them so that you make a thick paste. Then use a toothpick to dab the mixture on to the tank where you want the base color to show through. Allow the salt mixture to dry for about 24 hours.

2) Drip some water on the tank where you want the base color to show through. Then, sprinkle salt on the water and allow it to dry.

After the salt has dried, paint your top layer on over that. Once that has fully cured, chip off the salt and the base color will show through.

Just make sure that you don't overdo it. Tanks don't usually show a lot of paint chipping. They're more notorius for mud, grime and rust.

-Fred

Fred, thanks a lot.

I have tried the salt method, but never occur to be that it can be mixed to become a paste.

For this effect I normally use for winter camo or in Africa, they are not actually paint chip in a sense, but the white camo is just to easy to just washed or pealed off. And the tanks in DAK is actually dark grey painted over with dark yellow. This makes this dark yellow color easily chips away.

Again thanks for the idea.

For chipping paint on 1:35 scale tanks I allways used non hardening modeling clay. I just made little balls out of it for small chips in the paint, where you distort them when putting them on you can get away with ltiny balls of clay.

For chipping paint on 1:35 scale tanks I allways used non hardening modeling clay. I just made little balls out of it for small chips in the paint, where you distort them when putting them on you can get away with ltiny balls of clay.
Wont the thinner melt those clay or make them stick to the paint ?

I haven't had a problem with it. You could also use the kind of wax that comes on thos cheese wheels. There's no problems with it sticking to paint because it's too soft anyway.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back