Sogeking Mask from One Piece anime

koschei

Hello everyone!

So I stumbled upon this picture recently. It's beautiful. It looks ridiculous and badass at the same time. All the cracks, the beat-up metal etc. Anyways, I got an itch to make this mask.

sogeking_by_melvinchanart-d8vyonk.jpg

I have some experience with clay, so that's how I decided I'll do it. (Clay sculpt and resin cast)
I'm pretty confident I can get the form right, but I only worked with ~1/10 scale figures with not much detail (real amateur stuff, frankly).
So I'm worried about the metal texture and cracks (and paint!). I don't want to go super-detailed (I don't have the Skill, it will probably just look bad...) but I'm still going for somewhat convincing weathered metal-like look.

I think casting with bronze powder will look great, and create some interesting weathering opportunities.
And I'll try adding in the dents, maybe taking a rusty piece of metal and pushing it into clay to get the texture :)
Also, how do I not lose the detail when I apply paint... I guess painting is still far off, but maybe there's something I need to consider at sculpting stage.

So I'm going to just document the build process. And without you, I'll probably do all the dumb noob mistakes in the world.
I would super appreciate any guidance and advice. (Even if it's - go pay a local sculptor to watch over the process. I've considered that. But I'm too afraid they'll make me draw cubes first...) And I would love to know how you'd approach that kind of project.

I'm now working on a cardboard prototype, to get the right fit, figure out locations of the nose/eye holes, positions for lips and moustache, size of the horns etc.
(Had to deal with unrealistic cartoon proportions! And they change all the time in the show too!)

sogeking_cardboard_1.jpg

I'll do some more prototyping (i found a scene where you can see that the beginning of right horn and the stripe on the face form a continuous line, if you look at the mask from the front. And it's hard to get right) and start the sculpt this weekend probably.

Ps: I'm sure there must be an official historical term for the things, but I just call them 'horns'. I have 0 knowledge about helmets/masks, so if you know anything on that, I'l love to be corrected!

M-kay. So after 2 weekend days I have the base form, which I'm 90% sure has correct dimensions.
Of course, I made lots of errors and had to correct the dimensions many times. For example, I forgot to account for the mask thickness. Thankfully the mask is fairly simple, but it still turned out pretty hard to get everything right (hopefully).

So this is progress so far. (looks lame, compared to other works here.. sigh).

sogeking_base.jpg

Going to do lips next (my favourite part! - did a lot of those in small scale before). The horns I think have to do before I start detailing the mask, maybe even before the lips. I'll sculpt them on the mask to get the correct attachment, and cast them separately. I'll probably make slots in the mask for correct positioning of the horns and bolt it all togeter...

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back