Need Help with Paper...

ApocalypticBook

Hey guys,

This is my first post but I'm a long time reader...so go easy on me. Haha

First, I love old books...especially old books from movies. I'm looking to make myself a journal with a few printed pages, hand bound and covered. But...I'm having trouble finding the perfect paper. I know how to properly age and distress paper, that's not a problem. I need to find the perfect starting point though...a thick paper (like a rag paper) that is less "cardboard" like and more "fabric" like. Meaning, I don't like the results of distressing normal paper or parchment because it becomes way to brittle and stiff as compared to old books in movies.

Anybody know what paper is used in the movies for old books? For examples see The Pirate's Codex, The Necronomicon, And Harry Potter Parchment/Paper seen on screen, etc. etc. The paper seen in movies seems very old, thick with nice deckled/distressed edges, yet...is much softer and almost "fabric" like in the way pages turn and interact with its environment.

Thoughts?

Thanks everyone.

Go to Talas! This is an excellent company geared toward bookbinding and all the materials you will need. They've been around for a long time.

http://www.talasonline.com/

Look through their papers; I'm sure you'll find what you need!

Last edited by a moderator:
Irony is the base for the POTC Codex was an actual real life ships log, if memory serves, dating back to the 1600's and beyond. It had records of crew, ships cargo, repairs... The fabricated pages were generically and quickly aged with misc powders, water and vinegar.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back