3D printing

Astromechfan

Hi I am looking for Advice on purchasing a 3D printer. i cant Afford lets say an Ultimaker 2. Are there decent cheaper models? I was looking at a CTC dual extruder-MK8. Is that worth while? any avise would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

You might also see if there's a Makerspace near where you live. Depending on the organization, they might have a 3D printer you can use for very low cost.

Or at the very least get some experience/exposure to them.. how they work.. what the tool chain is...etc

Then you can start making decisions based off your own experiences..

I think there are some decently priced full featured machines out there (clones)..

but working through some of the in-efficiencies might help guide your decision.

Hello Astro, I do not have a great experience in the field, but I remember doing a wide search of recommendations and lists of better options.
My budget was a maximum of 500 dollars, here in Argentina is a lot, a lot of money. I ended up buying a DIY 3d printer with metallic frame, based on the I3 prusa. I wanted it that way because I love learning new things and I have to say it was a good challenge. I learned a lot with the construction and today, a year later, I am still learning.
To get to the point, I look for a printer that would give me, within my budget, an area of impression of at least 20x20x20, that printed several different materials like PLA, ABS, Nylon, etc, etc, with metal frame and have A good support, from the community, and from the factory.
I must say that I am very happy with the quality of the reproductions that I am achieving with this relatively inexpensive kit.
I think that giving brands of models in this space, would not be the right thing, but if you are interested in knowing a little more about my printer model, I have no problem answering you by pm.
By

For a beginner, I would recommend the monoprice select mini. It's great out of the box, and prints fantastically for the price $200 or below). The only caveat is that it prints daily small, with a 120mm squared build volume. It's great for getting your feet wet though. If you're looking for bigger, the creality cr-10 is massive, sub $500 and also an incredible printer for the price. Both have a huge online community as well.

Update: I took a lot of your collective advice's and did some research got my hand dirty and decided in the end to go with the Creality CR-10 for its price and build volume. the "homework" i have done has fed my knowledge on the topic greatly without it i would have been lost from the get go. thank you to all for you collective advice much appreciated.

Am considering the Creality CR-10 (maybe the s4), and was wondering if there are anyone on here that has any hands-on experience with it? Have been trying to find info and know it can be hooked up to a computer, but don't want to do the same mistake I did when I was into 3D scanning where I bought a Mac with the perfect specs only to find out the scanner I was using and later the ones I were considering all was exclusively for PCs. Grr... bummer. Haven't been able to find whether it is PC only or if it can work with a Mac as well.

Also, where do people get it for less than $500 and is there a European retailer perhaps, which would make things easier for me, but probably a bit more expensive!?

I have tried a lot of 3D printer before ending on a Creator pro, it's a bit more pricey but it's a real workhorse, have a decent print bed size and plus you don't need to be connected on a pc permanently and it can hooked on a Mac too.

More than a year and 800 hours of use without a single issue (except a feeder jam but it was due to me).

There is some clone of it on the market that can probably meet your budget.

Last edited:
For a beginner, I would recommend the monoprice select mini. It's great out of the box, and prints fantastically for the price $200 or below). The only caveat is that it prints daily small, with a 120mm squared build volume. It's great for getting your feet wet though. If you're looking for bigger, the creality cr-10 is massive, sub $500 and also an incredible printer for the price. Both have a huge online community as well.

I just want to put in a second opinion in on the Monoprice Mini, (now sold as the Malyan M200)...this is the printer I chose for my first step into 3d printing and I couldn't be happier. It is a great beginner model without a huge investment. There is a fairly large support community for it, and a lot of upgrades that can increase the build volume.

I love it, and I see it giving me a lot of mileage.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back