Rookie Play, Rookie Mistakes

Airshipwright

So after "winging it" and making a simple costume for my granddaughter (pink Hello Kitty Fallout 3 Power Armor) three years ago (ECCC2014), and lamenting not getting into gear for this last ECCC (or the one before that, or the one before that), I have thrown myself into making a me-sized 40K Space Marine (Mk VI) Corvus Power Armor for ECCC2018.

I have the pep files, and modified/will modify the templates as probably-eventually-fatal determined to make the armor not comically "puffy" on me, nor require stilts (or a forklift, should I fall over.)

So far i have the shoulder bells (foam, cut down something like 4" on the outside edges), forearms (cardboard with foam wrist layers), elbows (foam), and upper arms (cardboard). The arm parts I have removed two facets from each to slim them down; the forearm pieces from the inside, the elbow from the center, and the upper arm from 2 non-contiguous faces (yeah, added an extra seam to clean & fill).

I currently have the backpack template sheets up on my window being assembled as time permits (did I mention I have another granddaughter living with me?) This will be cardboard as well, part for weight, part to get rid of some of the large sheets of cardboard I have collected over years with just this sort of thing in mind.

I am running into an issue: the Mk VI chest (tighter, with hoses exposed) and shins (extend up over the knee, no separate knee-pad) are nowhere to be found in pepakura-template land! If I have to wing those, I'm prepared for it to get ugly. Also: if there are any local folks (north Seattle) who can help (or point and laugh), I'd like to get in touch. Like I may have mentioned, I don't have a lot of free time, and I'm doing this in fits and starts.

I have read soooo much here, and followed links to video tutorials, so I think I can bull through it when it comes to crunch-time. I thank those who have come before me and shared their wisdom (and errors!)

FO3 Vaultdweller.jpegForearm.jpegForearm w elbow.jpegFull arm.jpegShoulder bell.jpeg

Last edited:
Sorry for the lack of progress, having drama get in the way of getting shop time in. I was supposed to be working on the boots/shins issue last weekend, ended up starting the backpack in cardboard (I'll get some pics in soon).

Got some time in this weekend, and some pics to share (once I jump through some file management hoops.)
image_3.jpegimage_4.jpegimage_1.jpegimage_2.jpegimage.jpeg
Got the backpack (mostly) closed, hit the foam (and cardboard) seams with some sealer.

Aye, expected a rough lift-off on this project. Thanks for the well-wishing, equib!

Attachments

• image_4.jpeg
    image_4.jpeg
    60.6 KB · Views: 64
  • image_3.jpeg
    image_3.jpeg
    60.9 KB · Views: 64
  • image_2.jpeg
    image_2.jpeg
    55.6 KB · Views: 61
  • image_1.jpeg
    image_1.jpeg
    56.4 KB · Views: 76
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    60.8 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Not exactly buzzing along, I thought I'd post the progress from two weeks ago:
discovered I had transferred the wrong points to the cardboard, so i had to cut a seam and re-cut a panel of the backpack before rejoining:
packedgewide.jpeg
And it turns out the sealer I was using dries clear (trust me not to read the packaging!)
bracerglovefront.jpeg

I have to admit, I'm having a hell of a hard time getting going. All the templates, all the materials are there, yet time just ends up burning away on "normal stuff".

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back