Destiny Exotic Pulse Rifle - Outbreak Prime

roguishly

edit!
The following build is going to be a work in progress as well as quite picture heavy as I take you through the process of designing and making this beast of a Destiny replica. I hope you enjoy

Long time lurker, first-time threadder(?)

Now that the school year is over for me (god bless) I've had a little time to think about what kind of projects I wanna undertake. I'm a huge Destiny fan so might as well start there. And so I've decided to make a replica that I don't believe to have seen anyone make yet (I could be wrong on this fact don't quote me) and what is one of my favourite exotics the game has put forth.

I give you the Wrath of the Machine exotic pulse rifle Outbreak Prime:

600px-Outbreak_prime2.jpg

My favourite exotic in the world of Destiny and I'm turning my SIVA infused hat in the ring with this beauty:

Screen Shot 2017-05-01 at 2.28.09 PM.png

The 3d model is still a work in progress with some details still MIA; like the groove patterns on the magazine and the handle but, thus far, I am very happy with how this has turned out. Depending on how this turns out I've got some great potential plans for this bad boy. To the furthest extreme I'd like to replace the 3d printed "wires" with maybe EL wiring to make it glow with SIVA just like in the game.

Hopefully I can tidy up the model soon and have some parts of the rifle printed.

Last edited:
Thought I'd have something to show by now but IRL has been at it again. My currently 3d printer is having issues that are proving difficult to resolve to the point of it might being the need for this one :facepalm I've heard good things about the DIY side of 3d printers. Anet A8 is on the way. After a little DIY we'll be ready to go again (yay)

Despite the bad luck it has given me some time to work out the nitty gritty of the project and where it will go. Originally the plan was to use the 3d print to create a mold and go from there. Problem is, the model is so complex in shape that to make a mold around it may not be possible. The model would have to be broken down or may even need to be recreated to accommodate the molding step.

Some pictures to illustrated what I'm talking about:
Screen Shot 2017-05-09 at 1.32.06 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-09 at 1.37.07 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-09 at 1.43.34 AM.png

The little SIVA pyramids on the front of the model would make mold making a challenge along with the wires that run a majority of the length of the replica. The plates on the sides would also have to removed from the core model and done separately and then later reattached as there is space between the body and the plates. Such a feature might wreak havoc with mold making. In general, the front half of the print could prove difficult but the back half seems to be free of complex shapes that may make mold making a task and a half. Another ambition I had for this project was to wire the model with EL wires to make the replica as close to the in-game weapon as possible. With the wiring, same solution of reworking the model would apply.

Ultimately, I will first print the model to make sure everything checks out, judge to size and just inspect the print to see how I can do what I want to do and then we'll go from there.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-09 at 1.32.37 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-09 at 1.32.37 AM.png
    245.6 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
quick update:

3d printer would be shipped until May 18-20 so I've got plenty of time to work on details before then.

Screen Shot 2017-05-13 at 8.57.39 PM.png

Much of the barrel detail is just right so far. The only thing that still needs work on the front end of the Outbreak is the handrail(?) part where the beveled lines crossing from the detail. The grip requires some smoothing as right there are a lot rough edges. There are looks of little details in the grip, mainly, screws and the detailing on the trigger. The rear end has seen a bit of a makeover as I plan for the magazine to be attachable with magnets to the main gun body. The rear is also missing some slight details which I will be getting to with all the other ones listed so far.

Finding references for this particular Destiny exotic has proven a challenge of its own. Trying my absolute best to scrape up as many good reference pictures as I can find, along with, hoping into the game and going into patrol and attempting to look at the gun as a fellow guardian holds it.

More progress soon!

Last edited:
I've done a little more gaming--erhm... I mean research into the details of the Outbreak Prime and I have found some:

View attachment 728938
(finally found out how to make the pictures large like this)

From the first person perspective, I've noted all the details my model is missing that are clearly visible. From the outside moving in; the thin slit separating the red and black on the butt of the rifle, the two triangle-shaped imprints, the lowered area was a carbon fiber-esque design, as well as the trapezoid shaped slit along to top towards the sight and lastly, the lit up areas on the sight.

View attachment 728939

Going through the details in the same order in the same perspective. The colour separating slit on the butt of the rifle isn't there but will be added in, the triangle-shaped imprints need to be added, the lowered area with the carbon fiber isn't there either and will be added. (side note: the carbon fiber detailing will have to be added outside of modeling cause printing it and then cleaning it up will be too much of a hassle to complete). Its a little difficult to see but the slit detailing up to the sight is missing as well and will be added also.

View attachment 728940

The sight I forgot I've added the detail in already. (Can't keep track of all these details :rolleyes)

update on the overall trajectory of the plan for this build:
The first print will ask as the prototype and lay a foundation for the next phase of the build. After thoroughly inspecting the prototype and visually deciding on how to break the model down in order for it to be molded, more modeling will occur to separate the parts to make the Outbreak as not complex a shape as possible. The SIVA wiring along the pulse is tricky to judge at this point. Best bet in regards to those is to print to prototype and decide from there. The magazine will now be detachable via magnets, currently working on that. Whether I do a working trigger mechanism remains to be seen. Sound is an interesting idea as well and goes hand in hand with the trigger mechanism.

stay tuned guys more to come!

Last edited:
Just a super nonchalant update guys!

Photo on 2017-05-17 at 10.55 PM.jpg

IT CAME! MY ANET A8 IS FINALLY HERE (the shipping was actually super speedy and arrived before it should have. top notch stuff boys)

Now we're cooking with gas :lol:lol:lol

update!

Printer is set up and ready to go. Had to tinker around with it a little bit but I've got it how I like it. Did some test prints with some of the provided files and I thin I've got it dialled in and ready to go. I took the sight off the main gun assembly and decided that it was a good piece to start, mainly because this is the most finished piece I have from the model and with it I could see how the printer would handle the model and well...

Photo on 2017-05-20 at 11.00 PM.jpg

Pretty good!

Photo on 2017-05-20 at 10.57 PM.jpg

I printed without supports or an adhesive base and it turned out pretty alright. The two sides have some filament sticking off them but that'll be easy to remove with some sanding later down the line. More to come!

Wow, it's a crazy model. I agree that you'll probably have to break it up for moulding.

Expect some trial and error with the 3D printing - I'd suggest printing a calibration cube or something similar to confirm dimensions in all axes.

Time to calibrate! Also, simplify3d is a good slicer if you haven't looked into that yet. It makes certain parts of prints just a tad cleaner too than almost any other slicer out there.

Some friendly advice coming from someone who makes prop guns for a living, I would print that main body, do the solar panel bits out of sheet material like styrene, and print or scratch build one of the "siva" pyramids and cast a bunch of copies. Those cables towards the back of the receiver I would delete from the file and recreate them after the print with brass rod, which will hold up well and bends sharply at those edges. leave the cable mounts on there, half "open" if that makes sense so you can easily glue your rod down. You could use wire too I suppose, it just wouldnt look as clean.

Sanding PLA cables like that doesnt look fun with the nooks and crannies it would create!

Time to calibrate! Also, simplify3d is a good slicer if you haven't looked into that yet. It makes certain parts of prints just a tad cleaner too than almost any other slicer out there.

Some friendly advice coming from someone who makes prop guns for a living, I would print that main body, do the solar panel bits out of sheet material like styrene, and print or scratch build one of the "siva" pyramids and cast a bunch of copies. Those cables towards the back of the receiver I would delete from the file and recreate them after the print with brass rod, which will hold up well and bends sharply at those edges. leave the cable mounts on there, half "open" if that makes sense so you can easily glue your rod down. You could use wire too I suppose, it just wouldnt look as clean.

Sanding PLA cables like that doesnt look fun with the nooks and crannies it would create!

Halving the cables is an interesting idea what might work really well! I'll definitely have to try that out when I print the prototype.

quick sidenote before progress report: DESTINY 2 HYPE! gameplay was revealed and I'm so hyped. September 8th could not get here faster :D anyways on to some stuff...

Update:
Actual work has been keeping me pretty busy along with the rest of life so I try to but work in when I can.
Screen Shot 2017-05-24 at 10.26.57 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-05-25 at 12.46.28 AM.pngScreen Shot 2017-05-24 at 11.10.54 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-05-25 at 12.46.19 AM.png

I've chopped the file into its more basest parts: main body, side paneling, sight, magazine and some smaller detailing. The side paneling now has little plates that it'll attach to that comes off of a scaffolding (best word for it I guess) that extends off of the main body. That can be seen in the third picture. The detailing that rests on the side paneling, I think, as a pretty clever design in which it's kinda like a paperclip and will attach it the panels. The groove detailing on the under barrel grip and the magazine still need to me added. Been busying with the disassembly of the model and preparing it for the prototype print. Much of the grip detailing, like the various screws I've decided will be handed in after the print to give it some authenticity. The cables, also seen in picture three, might have to be removed in order for sanding (thank goodness for 3d printing :lol :lol:lol)

More to come!

Looking forward to see more. As an aside, the A8 has many many problems when it comes to safety. It has thermal runaway disabled in firmware when it comes from the factory. And there are some essential upgrades really needed for that machine. Namely the external mosfet and a few more. I don't know if you have done any research with respect to the A8 so if you haven't, I recommend you join the Facebook group and follow the safety procedures mentioned if you don't want to burn your house down.

Sorry if I am sounding like a ******. I constantly come across posts stating how unsafe the machine is so I thought you should know.

Looking forward to see more. As an aside, the A8 has many many problems when it comes to safety. It has thermal runaway disabled in firmware when it comes from the factory. And there are some essential upgrades really needed for that machine. Namely the external mosfet and a few more. I don't know if you have done any research with respect to the A8 so if you haven't, I recommend you join the Facebook group and follow the safety procedures mentioned if you don't want to burn your house down.

Sorry if I am sounding like a ******. I constantly come across posts stating how unsafe the machine is so I thought you should know.

Yeah I've heard some horror stories about that. Don't wanna take any chances. Already ordered a mosfet and a new hotend and gonna be printing a host of upgrades before I start the prototype print I think that way I can get the best print possible. May even implement Skynet as well to be extra sure on build quality. Thanks for looking out! (love this community :lol)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back