Concensus on Vader's TIE fighter color

DARTH SABER

Master Member
Is there a consensus on whether Vaders TIE is the same color or his wingmen and other standard tie fighters?

Ive heard some suggest its a slightly different tone, while other say its the same.
While watching the film his ship seems to be the same color as his wingmen, unless I'm missing something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there a consensus on whether Vaders TIE is the same color or his wingmen and other standard tie fighters?

Ive heard some suggest its a slightly different tone, while other say its the same.
While watching the film his ship seems to be the same color as his wingmen, unless I'm missing something.

There are pics available online of the origional model prop, I also have pics in my SW Chronicles book, which I used when painting my Bandai kit.

That said, whatever you see in published material can shift in color.

I forget the source of these photos, but I used these as a guide to mixing Tamiya paint for my build. Turned out great.
3b0beb6e9d4d1f2756d3fc0ca3a6db2f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

From another thread i respinded to concerning standard TIEs from ANH.

I have the old SW Chronicles book and it has some nice pics showing the original Props from ANH and good color refrences.

It's subtle and difficult to pick out, bit in one photo on the "white" TIE below you can actually see the front and rear have a slightly different color! The rest half is more blue-grey.

09e19e37c92e70ceef86276c2d0188e7.jpg

Good ref, i also have the old book and the vehicles version, but the real question is how does the color compare to the TIES of his wingmen?

Maybe I can find a studio pic with all three in the photo to see how they compare.

I think i remember seeing one somewhere.

I would also say that Vaders TIE was painted with the same exact paint as the rest of the ANH TIE's concidering it was built during the same period. If you're interested in the different TIE models built for the films I really recomend that you check out this old thread (TIE Spotting) that I started 6 years ago. Super cool info and still has a lot pics.

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=127749&highlight=tie+spotting

In short here's a quick brief on the different TIE versions:

ANH: Some had decals, some featured darker panels. Medium grey dashboards. Dark grey canopy.

ESB: Most likely reused and repainted ANH models (most likely with the same Pactra base coat as the ANH). No decals. Darker grey panel details (looks handpainted) Medium grey dashboards with canopy frame in same medium grey tone. At least this is how the only surviving one in the archive looks.

ROTJ: This is a tough one... Actually there's no proof that ILM made any new TIE's for ROTJ, they could all be re-used ESB models. The interceptors had darkgrey (almost black canopy frames but there's no examples of any surviving ROTJ TIE's that looks like this.

Cheers,
Steve.

Looks lighter on camera due to lighting and the phones contrast control than in person.

Thanks Toadmeister.

I guess you could sat I want the best of both worlds, something that photographs like ANH but still has a slight blue tint.

Btw, after I got out of work I had a chance to compare those pics with the color I chose for my Vader TIE.
Pretty damn close.
Took photos with a standard light and it looks virtually Identical to the warmer light pics on the original.
Then took photos with no spot lighting and it matches pretty close to the cooler blue shade.
Thanks a million!

I went with Tamiya haze gray on all my Bandai TIE's. Right or wrong I'm happy with the result, haze gray has that blue/green/gray color I was looking for.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back