What radio tubes are in Solo's belt? Saw some at garage sale today. Need advice!

Probe Droid

Master Member
Anyone know the type of radio tubes used in Solo's gunbelt? Were they ever ID'd? I was at an estate sale earlier and there were a load of old radio tubes for sale, and I was wondering if they'd be useful. Thanks in advance.

It's most likely a large capacitor rather than a tube. A glass vacuum tube would break from the stress of the belt. It has not been identified.
If it is a capacitor, it is a three-legged one. Not so common now, but these multi-legged jobs used to contain two capacitors in the one unit OR they had an extra leg for structural rigidity when they were soldered in place on a PCB (particularly as these old caps were pretty big and needed holding down so they wouldn't eventually wiggle loose and break their soldered bonds.). They were often used as starter capacitors in old electric motor units, old valve guitar amps, or in early TVs.

But, looking closely at the one in Han's belt, those leads look awfully thick. It may well be something more like a long-pin plug or some other device.

Maybe something like this:

device.jpg

This is one of those pieces we should be able to find. If only someone that works at the traveling exhibit could slide it out for 1 quick pic.

Well Cameron ... it clearly says : 'These STAR WARS™ costume accessories were recreated using measurements and reference taken from the original assets provided by the Skywalker Archives.' So I guess those are the shapes we're looking for . . . . now all that remains is to find the real vintage parts ... in the wild :wacko

Chaïm

Last edited:
Well Cameron ... it clearly says : 'These STAR WARS™ costume accessories were recreated using measurements and reference taken from the original assets provided by the Skywalker Archives.' So I guess those are the shapes we're looking for . . . . now all that remains is to find the real vintage parts ... in the wild :wacko

http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz258/Sym-Cha/StarWars-HanSolo-ESB-Reference-1_zpsehdo50v8.png

Chaïm

No disrespect to Anovos but they told me that the Stormtrooper armor was scanned at the archives and that turned out to be, shall we say, slightly misleading. I read that but Im not buying it 100%. I do think its possible that they did. Regardless the picture of the recreated part provided may lead us to a win. The hunt is on!

If it is a capacitor, it is a three-legged one. Not so common now, but these multi-legged jobs used to contain two capacitors in the one unit OR they had an extra leg for structural rigidity when they were soldered in place on a PCB (particularly as these old caps were pretty big and needed holding down so they wouldn't eventually wiggle loose and break their soldered bonds.). They were often used as starter capacitors in old electric motor units, old valve guitar amps, or in early TVs.

But, looking closely at the one in Han's belt, those leads look awfully thick. It may well be something more like a long-pin plug or some other device.

Maybe something like this:

View attachment 726103

Omfg... i think it IS!!!

It's like a early 70's male xlr and what we're seeing at the bottom of the belt is where the cord would be...

That's what I thought too (see image) :)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back