Roman's Empire TFA "Maz Saber"!

Looks awesome! How 'battle worn' was it?

The flash is in excellent shape and no wear and tear is noted there. There is a very slight amount of mottling / weathering to the clamp surface and to the grips, but again, very very slight. There are no dings or scrapes noted anywhere on the saber and it looks perfect. If anything, I will be adding dings and more weathering to the saber.

The quality of the flash and the build up itself EASILY exceeds the current asking price by Roman (these are on sale right now).

Last edited:
I added some patina to the brass parts, which took only a matter of minutes:

I'm also one of those misguided, sick, and twisted individuals who subscribe to the "rivet school of thought" and replaced the screws with rivets, which was an easy adaptation. Anymore, I think the choice of grip fastener one uses is merely a matter of taste, like adding sriracha to your Mac n' Cheese or steak sauce to your steak. The great thing about this saber, as delivered, one can choose which route to go in with ease:

I weathered the Kobold clip as well as the beer tab as well. I'll be placing a cover under Kobold clip and riveting it into place:

Last edited:
alley very nice! whats your trick with the weathering?!

Since I'm going for a very lightly weathered look, my weathering tools on this project are very simple.

A rasp, 0000 steel wool, non scratching 3M pads (the blue ones), Brichwood Casey Aluminum Black and Birchwood Casey Alumium Black.

For the weathering of the brass parts, I use a small paint brush and brush on the brass blackener in very light and even coats and then scoute the brass with the steel wool.

For the weathering on beer tab, I brushed on light coats of aluminum black and hit it with the steel wool.

To weather the slide switch and the clamp lever, I hit them with the 3M pad, followed by aluminum black and steel wool.

For the Kobold clip, I scoured the clip with the 3M pad, kit the corners and various areas with the rasp, hit it with aluminum black, then scoured it with the steel wool.

Last edited:
Since I'm going for a very lightly weathered look, my weathering tools on this project are very simple.

A rasp, 0000 steel wool, non scratching 3M pads (the blue ones), Brichwood Casey Aluminum Black and Birchwood Casey Alumium Black.

For the weathering of the brass parts, I use a small paint brush and brush on the brass blackener in very light and even coats and then scoute the brass with the steel wool.

For the weathering on beer tab, I brushed on light coats of aluminum black and hit it with the steel wool.

To weather the slide switch and the clamp lever, I hit them with the 3M pad, followed by aluminum black and steel wool.

For the Kobold clip, I scoured the clip with the 3M pad, kit the corners and various areas with the rasp, hit it with aluminum black, then scoured it with the steel wool.

i love the beer tab, i would have never guessed aluminum black!!! wicked nice job! I'm going to have to find these 3M blue pads your talking about. i love how it came out :thumbsup

you are a true artist

I finished the last of my weathering and upgrades to this piece:

I used a end cap cover from Wanna Wanga, weathered it and the Kobold clip and pop rivited it on:

I applied the GRAFLEX clamp cover from Roy as well--it lined up perfectly and fit like a glove. This is simply for "detail's sake" as the clamp is already a blank clamp:

I then lightly weathered the clamp card and lever:

Done!

Thank you again, Roman--OUTSTANDING job on this run!

:) :)

Last edited:
You're making ME want one! Stop it! My wallet won't be happy. :lol:thumbsup

I checked it out... that was a bad thing to do. Incredible price. Ugh! Stupid bills.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back