Custom McFarlane Halo Reach Spartans

red4

Sr Member
How does theRPF feel about customized action figures?
I started working on these figures several years ago, then lost motivation, and then regained motivation a couple weeks ago, and finally finished them today.

On the left is a male Spartan; on the right is a female.

zriPgNX.jpg

QMpBk1Z.jpg

I07eYO4.jpg

ANqdoHR.jpg

With the exception of the weapons, pouches, gold-tinted visors, and joints, I repainted every inch of these figures. I cut off the butt of the shotgun, and made a suppressor out of real aluminum. I also thickened the grip with superglue and cotton string. The thigh pouch for the female Spartan was customized to fit her thinner thighs (the male Spartan also has a thigh pouch, but it was factory-made to fit the male thighs). The female Spartan's lower legs were swapped out with the lower legs of a McFarlane Halo 3 Spartan. I did this because, for some reason, the lower legs of the female Spartans in Reach look like bell-bottoms, which makes no contextual sense (the real reason they did this was to maintain the same "hit" range between both male and female models for gaming purposes). The figures retain their manufacturer-intended customizability. The heads, shoulder armor, and chest armor can still be detached and swapped out. I should clarify, with regards to the weapons: I painted the suppressor and the grip on the shotgun, I added a wash to the pistols, and gave the female Spartan's pistol's grip a brown paint job. The sniper rifle and assault rifles remain untouched.

lBZRnLt.gif

I have 2 more, much older customized Spartans. If you guys like these ones, I can post pictures of the other 2.

Are they only 5" tall? Nice paint.
I have a few "toys/action figures" stashed away for re-painting/modification, but they are all much bigger than that!

:love :love :love

They're gorgeous! Do you have any stock photos of the originals for comparison?

I especially love the Mark V armor.. Almost every model I've seen tends to miss the mark when it comes to capturing the look of the Master Chief in the first Halo game, but this is perfect!

I especially love the Mark V armor.. Almost every model I've seen tends to miss the mark when it comes to capturing the look of the Master Chief in the first Halo game, but this is perfect!

Thanks. I don't have any stock photos of the unmodified figures, but they were originally manufactured by McFarlane Toys, so it shouldn't be too hard to google up some images. I will add that these are not mere repaints. I combined parts from various McFarlane Halo figures. For example, the female Spartan in the first post uses the head of Carter, and the body of a Kat, and the shins of a McFarlane Halo 3 Spartan. The male Spartan uses an armor pack. Spawn.com (official website of McFarlane Toys) used to have a very accessible and comprehensive list of their Halo products, but they've since removed all of that.

As for Master Chief, his body is Noble 6, and the head is from a Halo 3 Spartan.

EDIT: I found McFarlane's list again. I'm going to try to compile a list of parts and links.
Male Spartan in top post consists of:
Helmet from this armor pack https://mcfarlane.com/toys/carded-cqb-custom-armor-pack/
Chest from this armor pack https://mcfarlane.com/toys/air-assault-armor-pack-rust/
Chest pouches from this armor pack https://mcfarlane.com/toys/spartan-gungnir-armor-packs-steel/
Body of this Spartan https://mcfarlane.com/toys/spartan-gungnir/
Shoulder armor from this Spartan https://mcfarlane.com/toys/spartan-hazop-custom-male-goldsteel/

I can't stop this text from being underlined. This is so annoying.

Last edited by a moderator:

I didn't want to separate this response into multiple posts, but the other post got infected with uncontrollable underlines. Anyway, you're absolutely right about what I was trying to achieve with this Master Chief. Before all the retconning nonsense from Combat Evolved Anniversary, the Spartan armor featured in Halo Reach is supposed to be what Master Chief's armor really looked like in the first Halo game. I really like the redesigns from Reach, but I don't like the redesigned helmet - it's too narrow, and the visor too small. My first impression about Master Chief's armor in Halo Combat Evolved is that he looks like a militarized astronaut - big, chunky armor, with a large, blocky helmet, and huge, round visor, very much like an astronaut doing a spacewalk. The redesigned helmet in Halo 3 stays fairly close to this, and certainly much closer than the Reach redesign; so it was fortunate that McFarlane Toys produced the Halo 3 model.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back