Vincent V

I needed to come up with some Star Trek themed alcoholic drinks for someone's birthday recently and found it incredibly difficult to find glass bottles that even remotely resembled anything I remember from the shows.

Has anyone found reasonably affordable options for recreating classic Star Trek drink bottles? (e.g. Blood Wine, Romulan Ale, Saurian Brandy, Cardassian Kanar).

Klingon Blood Win.jpgRomulan Ale.jpgSaurian Brandy.jpgCardassian Kanar.jpg

George Dickel bottles come up regularly, my brother gave me one a few yrs ago.

He also gave me a couple of tall glasses similar to the ones used for toasting "departed friends" in ST III.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I needed to come up with some Star Trek themed alcoholic drinks for someone's birthday recently and found it incredibly difficult to find glass bottles that even remotely resembled anything I remember from the shows.

Has anyone found reasonably affordable options for recreating classic Star Trek drink bottles? (e.g. Blood Wine, Romulan Ale, Saurian Brandy, Cardassian Kanar).

View attachment 724839View attachment 724840View attachment 724841View attachment 724838
Most of the bottles that were used on the shows, are not made any longer and besides the Dickel, most are pretty hard to find. The "twisted neck" bottle that was used to make the Cardassian Kanar bottle seems to be the most sought after. And while you can find the Tequila mix bottles made by Jose Quervo on the shelve, they are made of plastic now and not glass, which is what was used to make the Klingon Bloodwine bottles. As for the other style bottles, most were bottles that the prop department picked up at places like Pier One Imports, off the shelve and just threw a label on.

Terry

The Romulean Ale bottle, for many the "HOLY GRAIL" of Trek bottles was custom made.

I was after one since the film came out even specing a Proto which turned out to be to expensive to go into a limited run.

2 years ago a member here did a small run and I was lucky enough to get one.

The original Prop finally surfaced and was Auctioned off.

The Pics shed new light in just what it really was and how it was built and from what I have seen it is even gonna be more expensive and labor intensive to do

I feel like a lot of the random bottles you see in the shows were probably oil or vinegar bottles. Given enough time I guess similar ones could be found.

I'd love to get a Romulan Ale bottle, but I kinda figured it was something special cooked up by the prop department. Really a shame that it's so difficult to reproduce these.

Here's some of mine:
Shelf 2_alt.pngShelf1a.png
Variously acquired from thrift shops, interior decor places, ebay (the vintage kluk kluk decanter and saurian brandy bottles that I don't seem to have pictures of...) fancy bubble bath (the purple and iridescent gold liquids are still the original bubble baths) and one or two actual alcohols (the Galiano which matches a TOS bottle, and a Black Tower (before they changed them) which I thought was an interesting texture.

Something I find that helps is what they did on the shows (DS9 especially) - Use weird bottle stoppers, or better yet, things that aren't bottle stoppers. One of my bottles has a ball off a curtain pole and one even has a deodorant cap that covers the neck and really alters the look.

Of course, the labels really help, and I've had a lot of fun recreating many of them. Check the link in my sig

Can't forget Quarks decanters, the red, green and, blue squat ones, were made by a German thermos Company, they were were even Licensed by the Mount for awhile.

Worked very well too I still have mine boxed away I sold out of these at Cons in minutes when I had them

Here are a few of the bottles I have in my collection, all made from bottles that were found in thrift stores, and garage sales since none of them are produced any longer except the green wine bottles.
aldebds91.JPGALtarWtrFrnt.JPGAlvainAle1.jpgAndorbttle1.JPGAndorWne1.JPGWBrns.JPGslugocola1.JPGRisanbttle1.JPGPortSnailbtles2.jpgChartLabarre1.jpgChaPicard1.jpgCardKanar1.jpgbldwnetrio.JPGBajSprgWnBtle1.jpgXindiBtle2.JPG
And a carafe like the ones used in Quarks - Quarkpitcher1.JPG

Terry

Here are a few of the bottles I have in my collection, all made from bottles that were found in thrift stores, and garage sales since none of them are produced any longer except the green wine bottles.
View attachment 725251View attachment 725252View attachment 725253View attachment 725254View attachment 725255View attachment 725264View attachment 725263View attachment 725262View attachment 725261View attachment 725260View attachment 725259View attachment 725258View attachment 725257View attachment 725256View attachment 725265
And a carafe like the ones used in Quarks - View attachment 725266

Terry

Those look great!

How did you make the klingon blood wine bottle? I have figured out that the bottle was from cuervo margarita mix, but what are the ridged shapes made from? Looks like corrugated cardboard but the ridges seem smaller than that.

What is the kanar bottle from. I feel like it was probably filled with peppers and vinegar at some point (but I've been told it might be from a chianti).

And do you know what the Andorian ale bottle originally contained?

Those look great!

How did you make the klingon blood wine bottle? I have figured out that the bottle was from cuervo margarita mix, but what are the ridged shapes made from? Looks like corrugated cardboard but the ridges seem smaller than that.

What is the kanar bottle from. I feel like it was probably filled with peppers and vinegar at some point (but I've been told it might be from a chianti).

And do you know what the Andorian ale bottle originally contained?

For the Bloodwine bottle I used styrene plastic for the ridged parts. It can be found at most hobby shops. The stuff I buy is "corrugated roof" and then I cut it to shape to glue to the bottle. I have not tried gluing the styrene to the plastic bottles that is now being used for the cuervo margarita mix. When the company still put the mix in glass bottles it was much easier. The plastic glued right to the glass.

The kanar bottle seems to be the hardest of the bottles to find. And the most popular. The right bottle has a flat label area and a cork stopper. There are current versions of this bottle still available, they usually have vinegar and some type of vegetable in them, but they have a screw top and the label area is curved, which makes it harder to place the kanar label. The correct bottles used to have either popcorn kernels or beans in them. They are sometimes called "serpent bottles'. You can find Chianti bottles with the twisted neck, but they are usually in a basket and don't have a label area on the bottle.

As for the Andorian ale bottle, like the Kanar bottle, it usually found with vinegar and vegetables in them, when you can find them.
Look in thrift stores, which is where I have found most of the bottles I have. That seems to be the only place to pick them up anymore.

Terry

Anyone know the name of, or where to get the coffee pitcher that was used throughout the original series?
The gold one? I seem to recall seeing those in cafeterias and hospitals.

The guy who did props for the New Voyages would know. Can't remember his name or his Flickr account at the moment.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The pitcher in the picture was made by Gabis of Sweden, and they are pretty rare.
TOSpitcher.jpg
As they were made in the 60's, you may have some difficulty finding one. Check ebay. One shows up every now and again there.
Be prepared to pay a bit for it though. I have seen them go from as low as $100 to over $500.

Terry

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back