Need help finding/making a lightweight ~10" sphere

burgerga

Hi everyone, I'm new here but I've heard lots of great things about this forum from Tested.

While not a replica model, a project I'm working on needs an ~10" sphere and this seems like the best place to get ideas for this sort of thing. (If anyone is interested the project is a new version of this)

What I'm looking for is a lightweight, white sphere to be illuminated by LEDs. This project is portable, so minimizing the weight is key, and as this part is completely non-structural (simply needs to be a white spherical surface), as thin as possible is desired. The sphere will need to be split into halves, so two half spheres would work okay. I've found a number of items on ebay, but they all seem to be thick plastic (Example 1 Example 2). A 10" acrylic sphere with 1/8" walls is over 1.5 lbs, which is way too heavy. Ideally, I'd like my solution to be less than half a pound.

Perhaps some of you are aware of other methods to achieve this result. I'm not opposed to buying something like Example 1 above and using it to lay up a thinner material over it. I have access to a Dimension Elite 3D printer as well.

Any ideas? Thanks! :)

You could try this. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Westinghouse-10-in-White-Acrylic-Globe-with-4-in-Fitter-8190100/203066110

I used a 6" polycarbonate version for an Oblivion defender drone and the plastic is pretty thin but sturdy. Run down to the local box hardware store and see what they got.

Bill

Edit, sorry, I looked at your link and see that's basically what you found. I am not sure about the 10" version but my 6" wasn't really that thick, less than 1/8" and it's not heavy at all. But if you have a Home Depot you can go look at it in person and see if it will fit your needs. Very cool project!

Last edited:
I'm sure someone with the right equipment could vacuform a couple of hemispheres out of styrene sheet for you!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back