Guidance needed: Molding HIC volvo panels

VanOaksProps

Sr Member
So about 6 months ago I managed to get my hands on a Volvo panel and I've finally had a chance to start tackling the project of making a silicone mold of it. I decided that I wanted to seal all the openings with 1/16" pieces of a plastic "no trespassing" sign so that it'll be nice and flat when I pour silicone since most of them will be solid pieces and only the hero panel will need the openings (right?).

IMG_5679.jpg

Anyhow, I'm curious to know from those who have made their own molds, what would you have done differently? Do you have any tips for someone making their first big two part mold? Anything I should keep and eye out for during the process?

Thanks!

So here's where I'm at...

c451a1f19e5644b95c681a2657932a1d.jpg

I decided to create a clay base to set the panel in. Setup my mold walls and made a ton of registration marks.

I'll be doing a two part dump mold, likely with a tin cure silicone to cut down on cost. I'll pour the outward facing portion first, then invert it and pour the back side.

I still need to buy silicone, so it'll be a day or two before I can get over to my local Reynolds location.

It's not too late for suggestions. So if anyone has thoughts, fire away!

Don't forget you'll need something to stop the 2 halves sticking together when you pour or you'll get a silicone brick

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

looks like a good start, but where are going to pour the resin? I don't see any spout. Or maybe you'r going to cut it later when the mold is finished. I personnaly prefer to make it directly in the mold with clay or a piece of wood/cardboard/plastic.

You seem to be on the right track.
Do keep in mind, no pour spout is actually needed.
Many 2 part molds I've done, I pour the resin directly in the "negative" side, a quick slosh around and then put the other side on.
Of course you need to be on point with how much resin you mix.
Just enough so alittle bit is forced out the sides when the halves are put together.
Gives me great results.
Good luck.
You mind sharing how you were able to obtain the original panel?
Been on the hunt for years, without even an "almost".
Robert

Don't forget you'll need something to stop the 2 halves sticking together when you pour or you'll get a silicone brick

Yep, got my mold release ready! Thanks for the tip.

- - - Updated - - -

You seem to be on the right track.
Do keep in mind, no pour spout is actually needed.
Many 2 part molds I've done, I pour the resin directly in the "negative" side, a quick slosh around and then put the other side on.
Of course you need to be on point with how much resin you mix.
Just enough so alittle bit is forced out the sides when the halves are put together.
Gives me great results.
Good luck.
You mind sharing how you were able to obtain the original panel?
Been on the hunt for years, without even an "almost".
Robert

Yeah, that's what I've assumed based on a handful of photos I've seen here from people who are casting their own. As for where I found it, believe it or not, it was on eBay. I literally found it in 5 minutes. I think it's the one and only time that I've seen something on the RPF and thought "I wonder if there are any on eBay" and there were.

looks like a good start, but where are going to pour the resin? I don't see any spout. Or maybe you'r going to cut it later when the mold is finished. I personnaly prefer to make it directly in the mold with clay or a piece of wood/cardboard/plastic.

I've seen a lot of people do a print coat of resin and then just "fill and squish" the mold halves together. I'm not sure if this piece will fill very well if I do a pour spout, since the part is relatively thin and oddly shaped. I do, however, like the idea of a more tidy casting process using a pour spout.

c706713a8433dcb626218750dcdbaa0a.jpg

Took the plunge. Sealed up the edges of my mold box with hot glue, mixed up some oomoo 30 tin cure silicone and began the slow drizzle of pink/purple rubber.

In 6hrs I'll be able to remove it from the mold box, invert it, remove my clay, coat the silicone with mold release and pour the second half.

Ok! So it looks like side A worked well. There's a bit of excess silicone that seeped under the edge of the part, but I should be able to trim that up without any real issue.

IMG_5691.jpg

Aaaaaaaaaand...FRUSTRATION.

So I poured the second half of my mold this afternoon. It cured well. Sadly, some of the edges of the openings weren't full sealed and rubber got behind those small openings. So when I went to separate the halves, some of the rubber stuck in the panel and tore out of the mold when I dislodged the volvo panel. F WORD!

I didn't even notice it until after I threw some resin into the mold. I filled the mold, placed the second half on and while I waited for that to cure, I picked up the original. It was then that I saw a purple/pink triangle of rubber stuck in the panel. Then I noticed the small mounting holes had also torn out of the mold. Dammit. In truth, I'm less concerned about the mounting holes, they'll just get drilled out. That triangle detail is major.

Thankfully these are for me and I can kind of overlook that mistake, but dammit if it doesn't make me mad that the rubber crept so deep into the part that it sheared it right off when I demolded.

I still have 30 minutes before I can demold the first casting. Fingers crossed!

Also, I hate smooth-on onyx resin. I've never had success with it. It's what I poured for the first casting and it, once again, has gotten "weird" on me.

Last edited:
IMG_5693.JPGIMG_5694.JPGIMG_5695.JPG

So I decided to try a second pull with a resin that I like. In this case, Smooth-on's Task 7.

Now I can really see the areas where the silicone crept underneath parts of the volvo panel. Ugh. It's totally serviceable and I don't think I'll make a second mold, but damn, I was hoping to pull out a win here, but sadly fell a little short.

The up side to all of this is that I learned a new skill and worked with new materials. More often than not, that's the reason behind my projects. Can I do it, if so, how and is it a skill I can use in the future. In this case, the answer to all questions is, yes.

TAKEAWAYS:

1. Make sure that all the areas where you don't want rubber to go are COMPLETELY sealed up.
2. Be gentle when demolding.
3. Take your time and be patient. (see point 1)
4. Aim for the best, but plan for the worst. (This is a totally useable mold. I don't need it to be 100% screen accurate)
5. Understand your materials before you begin (a silicone with higher viscosity may not have found all the openings in the part and may have produced a better result. Additionally, a silicone with a higher tear strength may not have torn when removing the panel)

Last edited:
Thumbs up to you.
Im sure it turned out way better than your seeing.
We are ourselves, our hardest critic after all.
And the fact that you went for and learned something you'll take with you into future projects.
This is a win.
Now just gotta find me a panel.
Robert

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back