Costume: No-Face (Kaonashi) | Spirited Away

Germanga

This is my first cosplay project in my first RPF thread. :)
It is supposed to be No-Face (Kaonashi) from the Studio Ghibli film "Spirited Away". I did not take as much pictures from the progress as is wish i had but i want to share a few of them nonetheless:

001.JPG
I modeld the mask with air-drying clay. After a lot of sanding this is the result, ready for mold making

002.JPG
the mold

003.JPG
painted cast (Smooth-on Feather Lite®)

004.jpg
sub-construction made out of two types of foam (alternating dense foam for stability and soft foam for flexibility)

Kaonashi.jpg
Me in the final costume ( by courtesy of "ChrisGar Photographie")

You've done well :) And that foam base for the shape is a really interesting idea too. Such a well-loved character. I made a quick No Face for my first anime con and I was (happily) surprised at how many people wanted a photo with me. The next year I made another version, better and more accurate, with a face made from curved ply (painted matte so as to stop sheen from flashes) and it was a hit too.

It's on my to do list to make "angry No Face" - when he has arms, legs, hair and the big mouth :)

Thx :)
yes, I was also surprised/overwhelmed about the amount of photos that were taken: Hanami-festival was the first time for me wearing a costume since kindergarten-carnival. I was a little bit nervous and thought "well, put it on, make one fast round and take it off again." ... i made 5 steps and was then surrounded by people asking to take photos for the next 2.5 hours. It was great. ^^

You did a beautiful job on this. Very creative interpretation and construction than the other No Face cosplays I've seen. I'm working on my own version for a con this summer so I'm researching those who have done it before.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back