Revell - Fine Molds - paragrafix 1/48 Tie fighter build

it does look worth it!

I already have a 48th scale x-wing so I'm thinking I just gotta have at least one TIE to go with it!

If you have a x wing 1/48 then you need to build him a little friend :lol

more updates.

Gluing two halves together, since i made a lot of extra work inside i needed these clamps to keep everything together meanwhile glue does his work, you can see all the wires coming out from the bottom, i´m going to put all resistors and doing the soldering in the space allocated in the lower hull

IMG_2947.JPG

IMG_2948.JPG

You can see aso the fiberoptics how they go to the smd under the pilot´s chair, i made some mistakes with this, i´ll explain later. in total there are 9 smd leds and 5 resistors,
readi to close the lower hull

IMG_2950.JPG

IMG_2951.JPG

I made a couple of connectors in the back part, one for the positive and one for the negative, sorry i forgot to take pics of how they are made from inside, but are those kind of small female male pins that are used inside computer connections.

IMG_2997.JPG

And here is the hull glued and closed

IMG_2998.JPG

IMG_3003.JPG

And here you can see it LGHTED UP :eek

IMG_3007.JPG

IMG_3006.JPG

IMG_3004.JPG

IMG_3009.JPG

Sorry if the photo is not so nitid, i don´t have a professional equipment.

Now, you can see the fiber optics don´t bright as much as i would like, that´s because i force too much the angle of the fibers form the console to the lower smd, if i knew it i just would have put some smds inside the console and avoid the fibers, is a small model and there is no too much room to make complicated things. I learned a lesson here.

There are also a couple of fibers that go to the engines behind, but forgot to make a proper photo

Anyway there are some color dots here and there and i think the main red lighting works nice.

Last edited:
Brilliant work!
The only issue being-Will you be able to see, once it's finished?;)

Hi Buds, thanks for following

It´s interesting to see how many people make the same comment, clearly many of you don´t see a point in making all this extra work, and i don´t understand it very well, maybe because i have a different or classic view about what this hobby is... maybe i´m old fashioned. But i'm going to explain a bit my point of view, if anybody is interested.

i will say you can see it very clear all the work inside , more when you turn on the leds, i´m going to leave open the upper door of the cockpit, the view from above is really nice because is where you appreciate there are a lot of things going on inside, and even from the front, you can see all the extra work the control has, so, of course, if the model is over a shelf you won't see all this from the couch, but if you wanna get closer you have an extra view and experience, that´s the difference of working just on the exterior, i wouldn´t do this in 1/72 scale, (that's because i'm not a fan of this scale) , even if sometimes i see model makers working amazing interiors of their 1/72 airplains and cars.

Then, the main point of this is because I KNOW all the detail is there, many modelers are worried about the exactitude of the shapes and sizes of their SW models, and sometimes is so small the difference that nobody (unless he/she is a enthusiastic) who is in your living area will know the model is not correct if you don't tell them, but you know it and you don't feel comfortable with it, that happens to me when i don't see detail on the interiors, to me it looks like an unfinished model.

Of course anybody can say, well but when i publish my model in internet people will know it, .....and that's the reason i'm sharing this building with you all.

And the last point, i have fun building it, i'm not in rush to have another sw spaceship in my shelf, once it's finished the fun is over, and when is over, i know i did everything to it to make it unique, and i can begin the nex one.

Hope when i show the final result and how i'm going to display it, will be clear all this extra work has a meaning.

Last edited:
Dozer,you missed my point. I'm also a stickler for detail that only YOU know is there. I built a seaview model and detailed the inside, before sealing it up.
I was referring to your eyesight. There's so much detail, I'd go blind working on it!

Dozer,you missed my point. I'm also a stickler for detail that only YOU know is there. I built a seaview model and detailed the inside, before sealing it up.
I was referring to your eyesight. There's so much detail, I'd go blind working on it!

oh i see.

Probably i was influenced by other comments and it was more like a general explanation of my motivation, i even i put some photos in facebook and some people talked about the point: "you won't be able to see all that when you close the cockpit"

Last edited:
No mate, I never criticize anothers work. Besides which-What's there to criticize? That tie interior looks great"

No mate, I never criticize anothers work. Besides which-What's there to criticize? That tie interior looks great"

i love critics, i'm very critic too, like different ideas and different point of views, is not cheap talking really, and if i'm not agreed i explain my point of view.

Of course if somebody say what you are doing is bs... there is nothing there to discuss lol, but when i said "it was interesting to see how other people comment the same thing" it was true.

cheers

Last edited:
Hello again

Time to work on the upper door... since i´m going to leave it open i had to build some hinge (not sure if this is the word) to keep it in position and make it believable.

IMG_2964.JPG

IMG_2966.JPG

And also i will add some detail, i making some kind of interpretation here and not going to use all the photoetch structures, did some test and i didn´t like the result... it makes the inside part of the door too busy.
Would make sense to use them all if i left the hatch closed to match this production poto,

tie-scale-cockpit_LI (2).jpg

but because i already made some modifications on the inside they would never fit if i Hypothetically close the door, i even thing the paragrafix pieces are not in scale, they are sightly bigger.

This is my interpretation, i´m using the clear piece that comes with the model.

IMG_2985.JPG

IMG_2987.JPG

Since clear plastic is too sensitive to cyanocrilate, had to use another kind of glue to stick the brass pieces to the plastic, is that kind of modeling glue used for clear pieces, is not so strong as ciano but if i´m carefull handling the piece i think i will be ok.

This is how it looks after priming.

IMG_2989.JPG

IMG_2991.JPG

IMG_2992.JPG

and this how it looks after removing the mask tape and applying some color and matt coat.

IMG_3015.JPG

IMG_3014.JPG

IMG_3029.JPG

time to work on the hull, have a lot of work / detail to do there.

Last edited:
Nice clean work! Love the details. :thumbsup

Thanks Rats, i really appreciate your comments.

Have been detailing the hull with the paragrafix set and some extra modifications i made following some photos from the studio model: enlarged the engines exhaust, one hole here other there , changed some plain greeble for something more accurated... and not much else,

IMG_3060.JPG

IMG_3050.JPG

IMG_3044.JPG

Working with brass pieces is a pain in the.... i really hate to work with cyanocrylate not too much time to make adjustments, and it can mess everything in a moment if you are not careful enough.

I decided to make all the work with the photoetch parts once i had the hull completely glued and sealed, before i started this project i watched some video in YouTube about a guy working in the same model and he made that advice, that way you avoid problems with these delicate parts until it´s completely necessary to put them on the model... , and i´m glad i did it, if not with all the stress i applied and the clamps i used when sealing the hull.. probably i would have had more than one accident.

By the way, i discovered this tool in Facebook some days ago, and before i could think twice i was making an order to Amazon... i guess many of you already know it, but in the case someone doesn´t .. it´s highly recommended,, it makes really easy the process of cutting plastic and greebling.

IMG_3047.JPG

And after priming,...sanding some imperfections and priming again this is how it looks.. this is one of my favourite parts when making a model, when i can see everything as a piece.

This Mr surfacer stuff i think is the best i have used for priming, Vallejo is easy since it´s Acrylic but you can´t sand once applied, it tends to chip off, And the Tamiya cans, they are good but pretty expensive and hard to control in a small room.

IMG_3075.JPG

IMG_3069.JPG

IMG_3068.JPG

Have to assemble / prime the Wings and frontal frame.. and i´m ready to paint.

Cheers to those who are watching.

Last edited:
Incredible job on all the details! This build is an inspiration!

What paint/color will you be painting the hull?

I ordered one of these Revell(Fine Molds) 1/48 Tie Fighter kits a few days ago. It's scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I'll also be getting the Paragrafix photoetch set too.

Thanks Crow for following & Good luck with your build, anything i can help let me know.

It will be painted with Tamiya Stuff, is the brand i'm used to, i have been thinking what scheme to use, the bluish ESB or the gray ANH, finally i think i'll go for the blue one, i have some SW models already and with small differences they are more or less the same gray, this one can add a bit of variation to my collection.

There are already some interesting color studies in this site (link)... a mix of gray XF-82 + white XF-2 looks pretty accurated to me

But i don't have that gray in my inventory and i don't know any place in my city to buy tamiya paints, so i will go with a mix of neutral gray (XF-53) and Medium blue (XF-18), have seen some good results here and in other sites.. will make some tests before applying to the model.

OK Dozer,

I have to ask you, if you don't mind;

I found this kit at the lhs for 100 CAD!

in your opinion, is it worth it? shhould I just get it?

it seems steep to me, yet I spent 72 CAD on the 144 Falcon!

OK Dozer,

I have to ask you, if you don't mind;

I found this kit at the lhs for 100 CAD!

in your opinion, is it worth it? shhould I just get it?

it seems steep to me, yet I spent 72 CAD on the 144 Falcon!

I paid 80$ CAD plus taxes on amazon.ca, the only place i could find it, didn't pay shipment cost since i am prime member.. but i remember it was the last unit in stock to be eligible through Prime membership so maybe shipment cost is a must now.

I think price is ok, some of the original finemolds versions are way ooooverpriced through ebay, also it's a master grade kit and 1/48, and you know... everything in Canada is expensive :lol

I paid 80$ CAD plus taxes on amazon.ca, the only place i could find it, didn't pay shipment cost since i am prime member.. but i remember it was the last unit in stock to be eligible through Prime membership so maybe shipment cost is a must now.

I think price is ok, some of the original finemolds versions are way ooooverpriced through ebay, also it's a master grade kit and 1/48, and you know... everything in Canada is expensive :lol

ok!........SOLD!:D

I'll go back and pick it up!

I paid $48 US plus shipping for the one I just got. I ordered it from Sprue Brothers.

Yes, i was pretty sure in the States you can find it cheaper, but as soon you translate USD to CAD and ship it to Canada plus the possibility customs retains you package... price will go higher anyways :(, but maybe still can save some bucks

So i have been working on this for awhile... priming everything painting and detailing, some progress below

IMG_3077.JPG

After thinking and thinking and thinking and double thinking i decide to full assemble the wings before painting, i knew it was going to be a pain to mask the black panels but i really hate to play with glue after painting a model, many things can go wrong, and masking is just a matter of patience for me, that external frame of the wings is really thin so i had to use very liquid cyano and glue it through Capillarity, it would have been a mess if those pieces where painted already.

But definitely the paint part is more easy to do if you paint the three pieces of each wing before gluing them.. i'm just saying all this for your consideration in the case you wanna build this model.

IMG_3080.JPG

I painted the inside panels in mat black, and then made a coat of gloss varnish, the polyuretane one from Vallejo,, i made coats coats and coats but i couldn't achieve the gloss effect i wanted, i should have painted directly in gloss black i f i knew this, another lesson learned, some people mix black with some metallic color but i really don't want to do that, will go this way and after painting the grey part and unmasking if i'm not happy will mask the grey frame and paint the inside in gloss black again.

IMG_3085.JPG

For the grey i went with a mix of medium blue XF-18 / sky gray / XF-19 and white, i resist to paint everything in plain color, i insist i'm not making a replica, and my philosophy is everything has some kind of wheatering, even if you have a shiny car just out of the washing machine, as soon as you take a ride with it for some KM, it will have weathering... more when we talk about war machines like this

But i don't want to exceed to much that weathering, ties are not so dirty like the rebel machines, so i will go with some preshading, and then tone it down until is barely visible, no panel lining, no washing... that's it

IMG_3088.JPG

IMG_3090.JPG

I forgot to take photos of the main hull preshading but after painting, masking and everything this is how it looks, took photo with white background and over the cutting mat... this tones are pretty tricky to show in photo, my thought is in person, it's a less bluish than this, for now i'm pretty happy with the color.

IMG_3100.JPG

IMG_3104.JPG

IMG_3105.JPG

IMG_3108.JPG

The result is depending on the angle and distance you can see some weathering and texture, but it you inspect it closer,it's almost a plain color, that way i think i went away of the extreme "plainess" of the studio model without make a too much dirty tie, well that's why i think at least, critics are welcome.

thanks for watching

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back