Thor Ragnarok Build Log/Help

SirWulfgaar

Hi gents,

I'm looking to do a build of the full suite of Thor props and costume from the new movie. I haven't done much with fabric before, so I imagine it'll be daunting.

I have a good collection of reference material and a pepakura file by MasterMod for the helm. Ill post the main images I am using along with the file.

My main concern is this: The chest piece is seemingly of a dark shiny leather, and if I were more fiscally blessed then I wouldn't worry about buying the right material. Since that is out of the question, I am wondering what the consensus is on the best cheap alternative? I have access to a fairly dark brown faux leather, but the color is off. I could weather and paint the leather in ways to try and correct the color, but thought id put it out to the public.

Secondly, what is the optimum technique for forming those details in the chest like the solid pectoral ridge, and the detail bumps on the lower belt?

Nice Clean Front Shot:
thor-front.jpg

My main idea was to place thin foam inserts between the broadcloth lining and the faux leather exterior, and pressing around the foam to create those shapes. Any help would be appreciated!

Other Dope Reference:

Screenshot (36).pngPrehaircut.jpgentertainment.jpg

The pepakura file is courtesy of Mastermod himself: http://www.mediafire.com/file/por6cu64kay481a/Thor+Ragnarok+Helmet+2.0_By+MasterMod.rar

I'm inclined to think the chest piece is a dark, metallic gray, but just looks brown due to lighting. The 'bluescreen' pic you have seems to suggest that as well.

Attachments

• shot0016.jpg
    shot0016.jpg
    892 KB · Views: 1,973
  • thorragnarokimage1A.jpg
    thorragnarokimage1A.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2,551
  • shot0021.jpg
    shot0021.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,442
Update time y'all. I've completed illustrator patterns for Thor's new combat gear. Ill set up a google drive and link everything at the bottom of the post. Many, if not all of the primary pieces include a 5/8th inch border for sake of sewing, but I used a different method since my sewing machine is pretty garbo.

I have yet to do much with the pants or bracers as they aren't really shown in a measure of great detail (The pants are pretty basic anyway). Much of the minor details like studs and detail stitching was left out since the patterns are to define structure rather than every itty bitty detail.
Thor- Complete Front.jpg
The chest plate was the hardest part but thankfully the fates gave me Photoshop, and Chris Hemsworth's height. I used his total height to find the height of his head, and then used that to scale up all the images from Entertainment Weekly. I have measurements on these scaled down to fit a man who's 6' 2", but wider than Chris, so things might be wonky. The points by the collar, where they connect to the shoulder straps serve as a marker where to attach the collar band in the other files.

Thor Belt Flap.jpg

The belts are measured out to be attached using sewn in snaps, and hang just below the crease between the buttocks and the thigh. Snaps may seem rudimentary, but this is my first time working with fabrics so I'm 100 percent positive a better way exists.But I digress, moving on...
Thor Belt - Upper.jpg
As labeled, these belts lay on top of each other, and sit at my navel line. They serve to bridge the gap between the chest pieces and the belt pieces.
Thor - Complete Back.jpg
Kinda boring, but with limited material I just ran with my gut feeling, and decided to make the backplate a simple single piece than can be decorated as needed to match reference as it comes out.

Currently, here is where we sit...
IMG_20170607_093618.jpg

I cut all the pieces out, taped the 5/8th inch border under itself, and then used that to cut pieces of iron on interfacing. All with the blessing of the man himself.

20170610_085402.jpg
This is how they look after a good ironing, starting to look like a complex puzzle haha
To avoid getting edges that are super jagged around the curved pieces, I suggest cutting generous portions of the border out to ensure a clean fold. Also make many smaller cuts so the edges are nice and clean.

IMG_20170611_135312.jpg

This is where I sit without any bias tape or detail stitchin so far. The under shirt was made from the simplicity 1038 Thor pattern and is doing quite well. I might add some foam to shape the chest into a more pectoral shape... not sure yet. The pieces are all bonded using Heat&Bond Ultrahold iron on tape, and its working wonders for the project. Will update when patterns for the pants and boots and bracers are done! Thanks guys!

Google Drive with AI files: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_cYd_ZjsA8ea2ZlRWtuNGwyWnM

Attachments

• Thor- Complete Front.jpg
    Thor- Complete Front.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 1,695
  • 20170610_085358.jpg
    20170610_085358.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,107
  • 20170610_085402.jpg
    20170610_085402.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,144
  • IMG_20170607_093618.jpg
    IMG_20170607_093618.jpg
    816.9 KB · Views: 1,030
  • IMG_20170611_135312.jpg
    IMG_20170611_135312.jpg
    596.6 KB · Views: 1,271
Last edited:
Looks good so far dude, I'm working on an Age of Ultron Thor right now. My suggestion for materials would be to buy really thin cheap vegetable tanned leather. Like only a couple mm thick, that way it will be pliable but also stiff enough to hold a bump if you work it hard enough. Then take some charcoal colored leather dye and a small dab of dark brown leather dye and smear it all over the place together with your hands, it will give you subtle variations in the leather tones. The vegetable leather is really cheap when it is thin and depending on your size your would probably only need one "side" of leather or maybe even a "double shoulder" if you are a smaller guy.

I think that's a Hot Toys action figure, and the photo looks a tad 'cool' to me, anyway. Look at the skintone of his arm.

Update time y'all. I've completed illustrator patterns for Thor's new combat gear. Ill set up a google drive and link everything at the bottom of the post. Many, if not all of the primary pieces include a 5/8th inch border for sake of sewing, but I used a different method since my sewing machine is pretty garbo.

I have yet to do much with the pants or bracers as they aren't really shown in a measure of great detail (The pants are pretty basic anyway). Much of the minor details like studs and detail stitching was left out since the patterns are to define structure rather than every itty bitty detail.
View attachment 735677
The chest plate was the hardest part but thankfully the fates gave me Photoshop, and Chris Hemsworth's height. I used his total height to find the height of his head, and then used that to scale up all the images from Entertainment Weekly. I have measurements on these scaled down to fit a man who's 6' 2", but wider than Chris, so things might be wonky. The points by the collar, where they connect to the shoulder straps serve as a marker where to attach the collar band in the other files.

View attachment 735678

The belts are measured out to be attached using sewn in snaps, and hang just below the crease between the buttocks and the thigh. Snaps may seem rudimentary, but this is my first time working with fabrics so I'm 100 percent positive a better way exists.But I digress, moving on...
View attachment 735679
As labeled, these belts lay on top of each other, and sit at my navel line. They serve to bridge the gap between the chest pieces and the belt pieces.
View attachment 735682
Kinda boring, but with limited material I just ran with my gut feeling, and decided to make the backplate a simple single piece than can be decorated as needed to match reference as it comes out.

Currently, here is where we sit...
View attachment 735687

I cut all the pieces out, taped the 5/8th inch border under itself, and then used that to cut pieces of iron on interfacing. All with the blessing of the man himself.

View attachment 735688
This is how they look after a good ironing, starting to look like a complex puzzle haha
To avoid getting edges that are super jagged around the curved pieces, I suggest cutting generous portions of the border out to ensure a clean fold. Also make many smaller cuts so the edges are nice and clean.

View attachment 735689

This is where I sit without any bias tape or detail stitchin so far. The under shirt was made from the simplicity 1038 Thor pattern and is doing quite well. I might add some foam to shape the chest into a more pectoral shape... not sure yet. The pieces are all bonded using Heat&Bond Ultrahold iron on tape, and its working wonders for the project. Will update when patterns for the pants and boots and bracers are done! Thanks guys!

Google Drive with AI files: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_cYd_ZjsA8ea2ZlRWtuNGwyWnM

Thanks for adding these mate!!! :)

- - - Updated - - -

I think that's a Hot Toys action figure, and the photo looks a tad 'cool' to me, anyway. Look at the skintone of his arm.

yeah its the hot toy! :)

Hey so I actually have a lot of the work done and just haven't had time to update this thread. Working 40 hours does that to you lol Here is where it sits as is:

20170731_181914.jpg20170731_181927.jpg20170803_070953.jpg

The cape is done, cut from a simple square and then abused thoroughly with a pair of scissors, a sharp knife, and topsoil. The swords are wooden craft board, nailed and glued into the handles, which are 3D printed. I actually bought my first 3D printer just for this project, and it has been nothing but a savior. I just used tinkercad for the designs, because free is my favorite price. The pauldron is a quick one made from foam and a modified template on the internet.

20170803_070214.jpg20170803_070237.jpg

The helmet was a quick and dirty pepakura build, and the wings rotate by means of a rotator bar that spans the two. That was 3D printed in two parts and super glued together.
Base coat of the teal was applied and then craft metallic paint was layered over top. I plan on putting a satin clear coat over it, because I want the metallic sheen but not the glossy look my iron man build had.

20170803_070417.jpg20170803_070409.jpg20170803_070739.jpg

Just a closer look at the armaments for the suit. The shield is a highly... HIGHLY... modified trash can lid. The tail piece is a stack of foam board, 5mm, and 2 mm craft foam. The center detail and the topper are a 3D print, and the rest was just foam cut by hand. I can't decide if I want the silver darker or to just leave it and trust the weathering to take some of the brightness out of the finish. The mace handle is about 5 different printed pats all glued together, while the head is a pvc pipe and a pair of wooden sign stakes chopped up at the appropriate angle.

Attachments

• 20170731_181914.jpg
    20170731_181914.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 889
  • 20170731_181927.jpg
    20170731_181927.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 745
  • 20170731_182005.jpg
    20170731_182005.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 761
Last edited by a moderator:
Well I debuted the costume at Gen Con 50 this year, and I was very happy with the result. It moved well and fit like a dream. It isnt screen accurate since I started the build the moment after the trailer launched but I think I did pretty good haha debating if I should do a Thor 2.0 out of some more expensive materials instead of discount pleather and brass fasteners haha
I also managed to make my lovely lady friend a Hela body suit in the course of a day so I would say this build was instantly my favorite thus far lol
20991593_790934187751355_1518415637_o.jpg20967983_790934207751353_872601331_o.jpg20993403_790934177751356_795167417_o.jpg20967723_790934161084691_1445143538_o.jpg21034894_790934157751358_1908779524_o.jpg20968199_790934127751361_2144010043_o.jpg

Thank you so much for posting this. I wanted to do Thor from Ragnarok since I saw the trailer. I just finished printing the helmet and will begin assembling soon but I was stuck on how i was going to do the chest piece. Thanks for all of the great resources.

Thank you so much for posting this. I wanted to do Thor from Ragnarok since I saw the trailer. I just finished printing the helmet and will begin assembling soon but I was stuck on how i was going to do the chest piece. Thanks for all of the great resources.

Well I am glad you will find my designs useful :) Ill link up my Thingiverse account with the stl files for all the detail pieces. I have them chopped up for my Reprapguru Prusa i3 to handle haha She doesn't do well with longer prints. The designs are a little simple but I only used tinkercad, cause homie is a broke college senior haha

My Thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/SirWulfgaar/designs

Well the most frequent problem I bump in to is a y axis drift that's caused by faulty y stepper drivers. I've replaced that one component about three times. I think I just need a new RAMPS board but that is an easy fix haha

Curious what kind of pants those are that you used? Thanks!

Thoooooose are faded glory tapered joggers in a khaki color haha but they were dyed brown and then brushed with gloss black paint to give them that nice leather look. Then I just used brass fasteners to attach the armor parts to the upper thigh. Avaliable at walmart lol

I downloaded the illustrator files and can't figure out how to print them to scale? I dont have illustrator so my mac defaults to smart viewer

- - - Updated - - -

for those swooshing sounds for sword you could use an arduino mini with an accellerometer and a speaker

Well, I don't know much about smart viewer, but in the printing options it should offer a "tile full pages" option or a similar worded statement. I'm a straight PC guy, I wish I could help you more haha

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back