Is there paint that won't crack or flake - HDPE Helmet

ItsThatGuy

Sr Member
As the title says, I have a TE HDPE Stormtrooper helmet. I got it back in 2008 or so (can't remember). I originally used some sort of Krylon enamel spray, over the years it all easily flaked and chipped off. I'm talking any sort of handling would easily crack the paint. You couldn't even touch it without the paint cracking.

I was able to remove all of the paint, so that I can paint it again.

However, I don't want to waste my time and money on a paint that will flake and chip off again. Is there such a product? Is there some way to paint it so that it lasts with no cracks or chips? I don't want 100% accuracy (meaning, I don't want chips. I want it all white).

Keep in mind, I live in Europe, so please don't tell me "Go to Home Depot and buy some random US brand" ;)

If you live in Europe, I'd love to see products that I could buy on Amazon - that would help a lot!

IMG_7171.JPG

I don't know what brands are available in Europe, but there's vinyl, leather, and fabric spray paint of various kinds that works well on flexible surfaces. For a Halloween costume last year I bought some leather paint -- manufactured for shoes -- off of eBay and used it on a set of vinyl boots and rubber gloves with good results.

In the us, it's also possible to pick up fabric spray paint at craft and fabric stores.

That sounds like a good place to start.

- - - Updated - - -

I saw Flexi-Paint on Facebook and it seems to work well on EVA foam. I sent them a message asking if it will work for HDPE. They did reply to me, saying they would test it out, but I haven't heard more (that was only just this morning - so, once I hear something on that, I'll make sure to let people know too).

Ahhh haven't seen one of those in a while. I used to have 3. If you can't find a paint to stick I've found that a light sand of the surface and a scrub with steel wool a good choice. But honestly I like em when they chip. It's authentic. :)

Ben

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back