Can I cast silicone or latex in flat silicone mat molds? (making lace costume)

talkstoomuch

I'm making a costume that involves a lot of lace paneling. The lace can't be paper or fabric, nor can it be resin or hard plastic because it needs to be flexible enough to stay wrapped around arms and legs as they move. I've been thinking I should make the lace from silicone, latex or some other kind of rubber. I found a bunch of flat silicone molds that are used to make edible lace for cakes, and they would be perfect molds, but I don't know what I should be casting in them. All the information I've found about using silicone molds involves casting with something hard like resin. What material would be best to cast in molds to create thin, delicate pieces like lace panels? I've heard latex takes a long time to cure, but these would be very thin pieces.

Thanks!

HTB1FFYgFVXXXXX9XpXXq6xXFXXXr.jpg

If you are going to pour silicone RTV into a silicone mold, you MUST use a good mold release! Else they become ONE.

You can also use a urethane elastomer, as it will not stick to the silicone mold.

In addition to what clonesix said, I prefer to cast silicone things like what you're talking about with dragonskin.

https://www.smooth-on.com/product-line/dragon-skin/

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Can Dragon Skin be colored bright white? I need to do something similar to what the OP is doing. I need a small (3" x 2") emblem to attach to a pair of modified Converse Chucks.

IMG_20170419_092632.jpg

Do you think Dragon Skin would work? I only need two of these and Dragon Skin is expensive. But the tests I've done with various caulks and paints have been nothing but disasters.

You can create your "Lace" with a 2d drawing program like Illustrator or Corel Draw, then acid etch it in magnesium. It's the way they made rubber stamps. Publishers Engraving here in LA does it. There may be some close to you as well. the advantage to magnesium is you can etch very deep. this will give you a perfectly smooth, radiused pattern that you can pour silicone directly into with out fear of it sticking. I found a picture with a google search that shows what I'm talking about. The red area is the face of the plate, the silver area is the etched depressions.
Magnezyum-Kli?e-2.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back