Blue Falcon 1966

TK8541

I love the Blue Falcon. I love all of Hanna-Barbera's superheroes in fact. There's something that is still pure and inspires that child-like wonder and joy in me when I see and read them. Even their new "Space Quest" — from the use of language to the art — is spot on delightful perfection. So when I decided to do a Blue Falcon costume my first inclination was to make him as if he had co-stared on an episode of the 1966 Batman series with Adam West. I took a bit of a detour from that idea for a few weeks when I finally started but came back to it quickly. So this album is where I will show my progress, ideas, methods and such for my Blue Falcon 1966 costume.

So here are some images...

The first drawing I did of Blue Falcon as I saw his costume. It was after this drawing that I thought I'd change it from this, slightly updated BF, to a 1966 version.

After a quick diversion into the "modern" versions of Blue Falcon I realized I was missing why I fell in love with the character in the first place. This coincided with seeing an add for "The Cowl" on Amazon. I was suddenly struck with just how I needed to do the Blue Falcon costume and ordered the cowl.

An quick mock-up of what the finished Blue Falcon cowl will look like. My thought was if the costume department at ABC get the news that the Blue Falcon is going to guest star... what would they do? They'd grab one of Batman's cowls and modify it! The beak and eyes are going to be done by my friend Kevin at Luna's Puppets. — with Luna's Puppets.

The suit was the next thing I had to get right. It couldn't be "spandex" like most superhero suits of now-a-days but had to have the specific "tight/loose fit" that wrinkled right and all like Batman's costume in the TV series. I found this great fabric that's a matte spandex/polyester blend and sewed the suit together in an afternoon. Next up, trunks... belt... cape... gauntlets and boot covers.

Finally are a couple of pictures of the alternate, modernized version I considered. I loved this one too. In fact I loved it so much that our own Duke City Superheroes member, Greg, started sculpting the cowl for me.

001.jpg002.jpg003.jpg004.jpg005.jpg006.jpg

Last edited:
I love the idea of a Batman 66 version of this! It completely works!

I would love to see a Dyno-Mutt go with this, either a costume on a Great Dane or, even better (campier), a semi-frightening hand puppet.

Last edited:
I love the idea of a Batman 66 version of this! It completely works!

I would love to see a Dino-Mutt go with this, either a costume on a Great Dane or, even better (campier), a semi-frightening hand puppet.

Yeah... I'm not sure if I'll do Dynomutt or not. Blue Falcon always hated him. In fact he threatened to trash him a few times you might remember.

I think, at first, I'll probably just make a "box" for my iPhone that makes it look like a big 1966 walkie-talkie and then put Dynomutt sounds on it so I can "talk to him" while he's in the Falcon-mobile. :D

I'd have to think about what he'd look like on the show.
Penguin had some robotic octopi and such... but robots weren't really a part of the show. They'd have made it work somehow.

Thinking... if Blue Falcon had been on Batman with Dynomutt... I bet Dynomutt would have been a guy in a costume. Like Daggit on Battlestar Galactica.

roboperro.jpg

Horrifying.

Realistically, if Dyno-Mutt was on the 66 show, I have a feeling it'd be an actual trained dog with a green mask that it reluctantly wears. Or more cost-effectively, a dog would wander in occasionally but it would normally be the same stock footage of a real dog spliced in with poor dubbing over it. Like, BF would pull out some walkie-talkie device with a screen, like Batman with Alfred, but instead of Alfred on the screen it would be a masked dog looking off-screen at its trainer.

... Or more cost-effectively, a dog would wander in occasionally but it would normally be the same stock footage of a real dog spliced in with poor dubbing over it. Like, BF would pull out some walkie-talkie device with a screen, like Batman with Alfred, but instead of Alfred on the screen it would be a masked dog looking off-screen at its trainer.

TOTALLY!!! hahahahaha

Got the flocked vinyl "F" put on my Blue Falcon suit. It is amazing! I love how it looks, how it moves with the fabric and how easy it was to do!!!

001.jpg002.jpg003.jpg004.jpg005.jpg006.jpg007.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back