Studio Scale Enterprise-C 1:500 WIP

brandomack

Sr Member
Welcome!

I have always loved the simple yet elegant design that Rick Sternbach drew and Greg Jein realized so many years ago.

This thread marks the albsolute beginning of my studio scale scratchbuild of the Enterprise-C. I will be venturing to faithfully replicate the studio model in it's original state.

Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Why not do the design they wanted to do? IE as seen in the painting? The Studio model they ended up with was much of a disappointment for the designers who had something far grander and more majestic designed.

Why not do the design they wanted to do? IE as seen in the painting? The Studio model they ended up with was much of a disappointment for the designers who had something far grander and more majestic designed.

I love the C as it appeared on screen, and since it is canon it does have it's place in Star Trek history... and I am scheduled to begin scratch-building this beauty August 1st, anyway... so please don't! LOL

heavycruiser_ambassador_prop.jpg

I already contacted the artist two years ago to get his permission to use his model as a reference... I am excited about this one! :)

Last edited:
Yeah thats one Tobias did a while back based on the painting... Not the TV show version. (budget and time constraints sadly)

And If your after info from Tobias im sure he would be happy to help with something like this. hes a great guy

Yeah thats one Tobias did a while back based on the painting... Not the TV show version. (budget and time constraints sadly)

And If your after info from Tobias im sure he would be happy to help with something like this. hes a great guy

I agree. He was quite nice. And the work he did is beautiful! He was very adamant about only building one for myself, though, so it won't be a kit, sadly... I plan to shoot him some pictures of it when it is finished, though. Maybe he will like it enough to buy the molds from me and produce it himself? I gotta have a dream! :)

I ran out to the store today and picked up the following...

2'x8'x 2" sheet of blue insulation foam
1 pack of jumbo olfa blades
2 cans of spray foam
4'x8' sheet of .040 styrene
1 gallon of West System Epoxy 105 and Hardener 205(slow)
Set of West System Easy Pumps
1 Gallon of Fumed Silica
4 yards of .74 oz fibreglass cloth
(2) 4" disposable chip brushes

I spent some time shaping today...

%5BURL=http://s581.photobucket.com/user/brandomack/media/IMG_0690_zpswv4wte6q.jpg.html%5D%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss257/brandomack/IMG_0690_zpswv4wte6q.jpg%5B/IMG%5D%5B/URL%5D

I added styrofoam wedges into the saucer, then shaped accordingly..

IMG_0689_zpsoh8tvjdq.jpg

IMG_0690_zpswv4wte6q.jpg

Then spread expanding foam over the surface to fill any gaps.

IMG_0698_zpsoitpearl.jpg

I fibreglassed it with West System and trimmed excess...

IMG_0703_zpsh5rdydev.jpg

Then filled with fairing compound and sanded (first pass)

IMG_0704_zpsvp5ubwxb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ohh starting to see some shape :D

It might be worth making a negative wedge of the silhouette of the saucer... and as its a round saucer you can just rotate it inside the wedge to see what corrections you need to make, to make it uniform

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back