1:32 Colonial Viper Mk II - Moebius - FINISHED

robpauza

Hello everyone,

Here's a few photos of my finished Viper Mk II. Wow, this thing really didn't fit together well at all. LOTS and LOTS of filling/sanding, but it does end up pretty decent in the end. I'd love to hear if you guys had similar experiences. I started building their Cylon kit a while back and quit because of the same thing.

Anyway, here's how it turned out:
Viper-2.jpgViper-3.jpgViper-1.jpgViper-4.jpg

Thanks so much for looking. I have a full build vid uploaded if anyone is interested:
Colonial Viper Mk II - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHksQQ9u5Jo&t=38s

-Rob

Well, that is a nice built!

I have only finished the wings and glued the landing gear doors in. The landing gear door gaps are pathetic. I don't like the way this kit was engineered at all.

The biggest complain was how freaking oily this kit is, it took several washes with strong detergent before all the mold release were washed off. I have quite a few of this kit so I spent a week washing it.

You were brave to use those household tape for the canopy but luckily you managed to rub those glue out.

Thank you Bentley for the comment. Glad it wasn't just me about the fit. And yes.... that was the dirtiest plastic I've ever seen on a model. Haha..."brave" is a kind way to describe using that tape. It was more like "stupid". :) But, it did clean up pretty well. Anyway, thanks again for the comment and good luck with your build. You might want to order a few gallons of putty. :)

-Rob

I like your colors, but what I really love is your video. The editing, what you shot and the voice over is perfect! Theres way too many people just rambling on without a plan when they build kits on Youtube.

This kit is in my stash/queue, I will watch yours again before starting mine.

Thank you Bentley for the comment. Glad it wasn't just me about the fit. And yes.... that was the dirtiest plastic I've ever seen on a model. Haha..."brave" is a kind way to describe using that tape. It was more like "stupid". :) But, it did clean up pretty well. Anyway, thanks again for the comment and good luck with your build. You might want to order a few gallons of putty. :)

-Rob

Most welcome, Rob! Good thing the Viper Mk1 and Mk7 isn't that oily.

I screwed up so many canopies and other graphic works using lousy tapes that I now use only vinyl and Tamiya tapes.

Same for putty. I tried so many brands that I uses Tamiya and Milliput now but I am always too lazy to use milliput nowadays. Milliput, no shrinking. Tamiya, just a bit.

Oh, I forgot to mention. I like you using epoxy for the screens on the cockpit. It does looks good!

Most welcome, Rob! Good thing the Viper Mk1 and Mk7 isn't that oily.

I screwed up so many canopies and other graphic works using lousy tapes that I now use only vinyl and Tamiya tapes.

Same for putty. I tried so many brands that I uses Tamiya and Milliput now but I am always too lazy to use milliput nowadays. Milliput, no shrinking. Tamiya, just a bit.

Oh, I forgot to mention. I like you using epoxy for the screens on the cockpit. It does looks good!

I was testing the Vellejo putty and it's decent, but I think I like Tamiya better. I may have to try out the Milliput.

Yeah, I use epoxy for probably too much. :) It does great for light-blocking also if you add a drop or two of Smooth-On So-Strong tint.

Anyway, thanks again.

One of my favorite ships.....You definitely pulled it together nicely considering the shape of the kit to start with.

Also, enjoyed your YouTube videos. Good tips for us newbies...

Very nice! I tried this as my first model but ended up scrapping it because I didn't align things very well. I bought another one but it's been on a shelf for quite some time. I think it's time to bring it back out.

It was refreshing to see you build the model together and paint it as one. I end up spending so much time building and painting sub-assemblies that it's nice to see it done as one

Great work! Just the right amount of weathering

I built the 1/72 versions for the Vipers and Raiders, but I have not built the 1/32 ones yet.

From what I can tell, the 1/72 versions are pretty much the same breakdown of parts, just smaller.

I did have some seam issues with the MK II Viper with the seam that runs along the whole top front of the fuselage. The Viper MK Vii and the Raider had more hidden sames and also had better fits for the most part
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=266897

I like your colors, but what I really love is your video. The editing, what you shot and the voice over is perfect! Theres way too many people just rambling on without a plan when they build kits on Youtube.

This kit is in my stash/queue, I will watch yours again before starting mine.

Oops, sorry woobit. I just noticed I missed your comment. Thanks so much, especially about the voice over in the videos. I absolutely hate hearing myself talk in video, so I really appreciate that. Maybe it's not quite as cringe-worthy as I thought. :)

One of my favorite ships.....You definitely pulled it together nicely considering the shape of the kit to start with.

Also, enjoyed your YouTube videos. Good tips for us newbies...

Thanks Pcoz. Yeah, it definitely needed more filling than I would have hoped, but still a decent model.

Very nice! I tried this as my first model but ended up scrapping it because I didn't align things very well. I bought another one but it's been on a shelf for quite some time. I think it's time to bring it back out.

It was refreshing to see you build the model together and paint it as one. I end up spending so much time building and painting sub-assemblies that it's nice to see it done as one

Thanks astroboy! Cool. I hope it turns out well for you. I would definitely recommend dry-fitting the parts before gluing. It's actually not too bad, but does take a little extra TLC.

Great work! Just the right amount of weathering

I built the 1/72 versions for the Vipers and Raiders, but I have not built the 1/32 ones yet.

From what I can tell, the 1/72 versions are pretty much the same breakdown of parts, just smaller.

I did have some seam issues with the MK II Viper with the seam that runs along the whole top front of the fuselage. The Viper MK Vii and the Raider had more hidden sames and also had better fits for the most part
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=266897

Thanks blakeh1. I just checked out your thread. Very nice, especially for smaller models and quick builds as well!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back