Making facial prosthetics

Wimismith

I'm redoing a costume I did several years ago, and I wanted to use prosthetics instead of a mask this go around. I know how to sculpt and cast my mold for them from reading information on instuctables, but I'm wondering what a good low cost diy material would be to cast the prosthetics in would be? I've considered using silicone that's been thinned with xylene, but thought I would seek advice from others first.

The costume I'm doing is broadway from gargoyles
885a631e26cd5c8abc790ed9c8039ce4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'll probably get more attention posting this in the sculpture and makeup board, but I'll offer up what I can. I know some people slush cast masks with liquid latex, which is probably your lowest option cost-wise...I've never done it, though, so I don't know much about the process. You can also use gelatin*, though this can be heavy depending on the size of your piece and will not stand up to heat as well as silicone. But it's prob your second cheapest option--and if you mess it up, you can melt it back down and reuse it. Silicone is expensive and can be finicky but will definitely look better than slip latex and hold up longer than gelatin. If you're going to use silicone, you should look for "platinum cure" and safe to wear on your face. I'm pretty sure you don't need to thin your silicone with xylene unless you're using it to paint with. Smooth On has some great info/tutorials on their website if you're going the silicone route.

Prosthetic gelatin is a mixture of glycerine, sorbitol, and gelatin bloom crystals. I think you can purchase it pre-made as well. Consider sculpting your prosthetic as multiple pieces to cut down on the weight of the piece.

Thanks for the tip, luckily all I'm having to sculpt is the eyebrows and fins that are on the head. The ridges on the head will be part of the hood that's attached to the bodysuit, and the rest will be my own face. I had actually considered using some liquid latex as the outer skin of the prosthetics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah, I see. For the brow, you can certainly use gelatin. That would be my cheap prosthetic choice. I think you might find that for the fins, silicone or gelatin will be too heavy to keep them standing at attention, even if you sculpt it so that you can glue most of the fin to your head (or hood) so you may have to put some sort of skeleton inside the cast. Latex will probably keep the shape of the fin better because it won't be buckling under its own weight. If you're planning on using silicone for any of it though, don't skin with latex. Latex and silicone are enemies and they won't cure if they're together.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back