1/72 Millennium Falcon test_Fully Automated Lights, Ramp, Take-Off from Sky City Pad

Supercoolin

The link below is for the video of the Revell 1/72 Master Scale Millennium Falcon test of the automated access ramp, lighting and take-off from the Sky City Landing Pad. The lift system was hand made and controlled by a MKS Base V1.5, with a Arduino Mega2560 and RAMPS v1.5

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: 1/72 Millennium Falcon test_Fully Automated Lights, Ramp, Take-Off from Sky City

That's really cool, nice job! Love the engine lights blast off effect too.

Re: 1/72 Millennium Falcon test_Fully Automated Lights, Ramp, Take-Off from Sky City

Awesome!

I wish I even knew where to begin on doing something like that

Even just automating the ramp.

If you don;t mind me asking, how do you get the ramp to open?

What kind of motor are you using?

Do you have to program in a stop point, or does the motor have a way of sensing it can't open any further and stop?

Awesome!

I wish I even knew where to begin on doing something like that

Even just automating the ramp.

If you don;t mind me asking, how do you get the ramp to open?

What kind of motor are you using?

Do you have to program in a stop point, or does the motor have a way of sensing it can't open any further and stop?

The ramp was done with a gear reduction 12VDC mini motor and using plastic gears to further reduce the speed and move the levers. Start and stop points were set with micro limit switches and a DPDT relay inside the Falcon model.

That is so fantastic!!! Love seeing Falcon builds and so this one is amazing to see and adds to a great model!! A great diorama...

That's more or less unbelievable. Amazing job bro.

To answer the questions:
The main lift is with 8mm lead screws, 3D printer cog gears for 6mm belt drive. All the rotatory motion gears were printed on a 3D printer and the aluminum parts were made out of .080" aluminum sheet, 1.5"x1.5"x.125" aluminum angle and .375" x .250" aluminum channel. The center shaft is 5mm x .45mm brass tube moving in 5mm rotary-linear sleeves, and the tilt is with a 6mm x .45mm brass tube over the 5mm tube moving in a 6mm rotary-linear sleeve. The lift and turn stepper motors are 84 in.oz. bi-pole, and the tilt stepper is 59 in.oz. Limit switches are standard optical type. Other than the plastic gears, everything was purchased on Ebay, Onlinemetals.com, and Omnimodels.

Bloody awesome work!! Wow!! :cool

Meh. We can still see the rod. Fake.

Kidding! Bloody wonderful it is. And here I was thinking putting lights in mine made me cool...

What a fantastic idea and execution. Top notch work! It must have taken you ages to design, construct and get this all to work perfectly.

I was just wondering if you are going to put a sound board in to give some cool audio effects, maybe some flashing lights to indicate laser blasts and finally how about wiring in some e cigarettes to give you smoke jets on take off and landing, just pondering if these were something you had considered!

But as stands now, this is literally out of this world.

What a fantastic idea and execution. Top notch work! It must have taken you ages to design, construct and get this all to work perfectly.

I was just wondering if you are going to put a sound board in to give some cool audio effects, maybe some flashing lights to indicate laser blasts and finally how about wiring in some e cigarettes to give you smoke jets on take off and landing, just pondering if these were something you had considered!

But as stands now, this is literally out of this world.

The concept for the Sky Pad Diorama was basically from the day I bought the MF Revell Kit. Another 8 months getting all the sky pad parts together, and 3 weeks to machine, test, program and assemble the lift system. The only thing completed is the basic landing pad structure. It will have full lighting and the trigger for the engine sound board is already programmed. Just need to "blend" the right MP3 files to get the perfect sound. The Falcon was finished assembled 2 months ago, and now it needs full paint. I waited on that to make sure the mount fit seamlessly into the model. It will be another 4-6 weeks before the Sky Pad full exterior is complete and the 3.2" TFT screen will be programmed and mounted in the elevator shaft. Getting the right gear ratio's for the 3D printed gears was a lot of test and failure. Now working on the gradual start up and slow down programming of the stepper motors to make sure the entire movement is free of any mechanical like motion.

The concept for the Sky Pad Diorama was basically from the day I bought the MF Revell Kit. Another 8 months getting all the sky pad parts together, and 3 weeks to machine, test, program and assemble the lift system. The only thing completed is the basic landing pad structure. It will have full lighting and the trigger for the engine sound board is already programmed. Just need to "blend" the right MP3 files to get the perfect sound. The Falcon was finished assembled 2 months ago, and now it needs full paint. I waited on that to make sure the mount fit seamlessly into the model. It will be another 4-6 weeks before the Sky Pad full exterior is complete and the 3.2" TFT screen will be programmed and mounted in the elevator shaft. Getting the right gear ratio's for the 3D printed gears was a lot of test and failure. Now working on the gradual start up and slow down programming of the stepper motors to make sure the entire movement is free of any mechanical like motion.

Wow, seems like you covered and thought of everything, what will the 3.2" TFT screen be showing mounted in the elevator shaft?
The smoke idea was just a suggestion, as I saw a build over at tested where they used e cigarettes to generate smoke in a very confined space for their ghost trap, very cool idea and would really give your diorama a complete replication of the scene who have so eloquently and seamlessly constructed.

Fantastic work and all your efforts shine through and have resulted in a unique take on how to display an item with added interest. Can't wait to see how this looks completed, it truly is in another galaxy.

Really cool![emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome sauce:cool Amazing for sure!!

Been a while since any updates. Have been working on the round pad section (lift mechanism cover) and now am working on the walkway section. Found the perfect LED (7014) to install around the inner edge of the band around the landing and walkway pad. Progress is slower than I had anticipated.
Cloud City Landing Pad Mechanism Enclosure with background.jpg

Landing pad lighting LED.jpg

I had a 2 foot by 4 foot background printed to use with the Diorama of the scene of the Millennium Falcon take-off. A little bit of cut and paste to get the CG landing pad out of the background.

Here are pictures of the Original CGI shots.

Landing and Taking-off.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back