X-Wing Pilot Pocket Knife

robertsonick

Hey all,

When Rogue One was coming out I was all excited and watching the movies over and over with excitement and at some point I got to urge to turn my pocket knife into something you might find in the pocket or pouch of a Star Wars character.

I dreamed up a little scenario that it was a standard issue X-Wing Pilot knife, given to a new pilot around the R1/ANH era. The pilot was shot down or whatever, the knife was scavenged and used by various ne'er-do-wells' on different planets, etc and finally Poe came across it sitting on a market table on Jakku. Scrounged up from god-knows-where.

I know, stupid and elaborate but that's what I do.

611f5f7f9165ccc13a3ad4d7f80f7820.jpg

5db8ce657140dc7d869c023c0972b934.jpg

c4a8977aca0af941e220f8a8606645c0.jpg

It took a while to paint as I'd never tried this kind of heavily weathered Star Wars look before. I replaced all the hardware with titanium parts - the screws and lanyard tube. Backspacer is aluminium.
The paint is all automotive enamel, super strong stuff.

Anyway, I thought you guys might get a kick out of it. I'm going to do it again and make another couple. It was so much fun I want to keep doing it.

Cheers,

Nick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have this one on me today (and most days) just snapped the pic here at work:

0z5iR5M.jpg

Casey clip, Flytanium scales and lanyard tube.

I would love to have a Star Wars modded EDC. I’ll be keeping an eye on this thread!

I have this one on me today (and most days) just snapped the pic here at work:

http://i.imgur.com/0z5iR5M.jpg

Casey clip, Flytanium scales and lanyard tube.

I would love to have a Star Wars modded EDC. I’ll be keeping an eye on this thread!

That's a beauty! If you were to turn that into a Star Wars-vibed knife, what would you do?

I did as much as I could without sticking weird greeblies and crap all over it.

Chipped paint, missing parts, dings and dents - that's the Star Wars aesthetic.

That's a beauty! If you were to turn that into a Star Wars-vibed knife, what would you do?

I did as much as I could without sticking weird greeblies and crap all over it.

Chipped paint, missing parts, dings and dents - that's the Star Wars aesthetic.

Good question...You don't see a lot of brass in the Star Wars universe...and I gotta keep the brass!

Maybe it would look good with in a Jabba palace vibe. Maybe a Weequay guard knife. I'd have to think about how to pull it off, though..

Good question...You don't see a lot of brass in the Star Wars universe...and I gotta keep the brass!

Maybe it would look good with in a Jabba palace vibe. Maybe a Weequay guard knife. I'd have to think about how to pull it off, though..

That's a good point. Jabba's palace does have that vibe though.
Maybe some Aurebesh engravings, tarnish the brass... what else... gotta have a bit of chipped paint.
You could get some dirty paracord and put an appropriate lanyard bead at the end like this one I had made of a character from a movie I made:

544ded9b95903ecc67a8b9accb2b8c3a.jpg

N.

Makes me want to go down to army surplus and get a case!

You should! It's actually a great case for keeping important stuff in and now it happens to look really cool too!

I feel like it might need a good, strategically and we'll-distressed sticker though...

N.

Hey I have just noticed the super cheap auto are you in Australia or NZ!?
New Zealand myself.

Ha found it . . . even a local 5 mins away, good times.

Last edited:
Hey I have just noticed the super cheap auto are you in Australia or NZ!?
New Zealand myself.

Ha found it . . . even a local 5 mins away, good times.

Yeah, I'm in Australia! My sister manages my local one so I'm always in there looking for bits-and-pieces haha.

I love the idea of a "would have had" prop, and you've put absolutely lovely weathering on that knife!

Yeah I'm not into replicating things that already exist - I'd drive myself crazy trying to get it as perfect as possible.
I much prefer to make speculative props haha.
Thanks man, I'm not super happy with it - I want to get another one and try again.

N.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back