The X-Files (2018)

I have always loved the X-Files, and really enjoy Mulder, Skully, Skinner, and of the course the Lone Gunmen, but after that season ending (The Event), I don't see how Carter can save the show.

I want to believe.

Yeah the percentage is just not there for me, that was the one decent Episode i was absolutely mortified at the rest....

While I enjoyed the "series" last year, it wasn't nearly as good as I had hoped it would be, with the exception of the already mentioned "Were-Monster" episode, which I thought was fantastic.

Ill certainly watch the upcoming episodes.

What is really interesting to me, though, is this...I started wondering if "The X-Files" was better in my memory than it truly was, so I fired up some episodes and gave them a watch...and I was really disappointed. Almost every episode I watched just seemed campy and bad. I remember loving the show when it was on, but I guess maybe TV has just come a long way since the series was in its prime, and it just didn't stand the test of time well. This, of course, is all just my opinion.

I watched the first episode of the series last year, and read reviews that steadily went downhill. I also saw Chris Carter's penchant for introducing questions he never intends to answer.

I'll hold off on this unless and until I know the show has a decent ending (it won't) where they answer the questions they pose (they won't) and it gives a sense of proper closure (not happening).

While I enjoyed the "series" last year, it wasn't nearly as good as I had hoped it would be, with the exception of the already mentioned "Were-Monster" episode, which I thought was fantastic.

Ill certainly watch the upcoming episodes.

What is really interesting to me, though, is this...I started wondering if "The X-Files" was better in my memory than it truly was, so I fired up some episodes and gave them a watch...and I was really disappointed. Almost every episode I watched just seemed campy and bad. I remember loving the show when it was on, but I guess maybe TV has just come a long way since the series was in its prime, and it just didn't stand the test of time well. This, of course, is all just my opinion.

Yeah, I re-watched seasons 1 through 6 not too long ago and was also surprised by how dated some of it felt. And as Solo4114 mentioned, all the Chris Carter conspiracy stuff is a chore to sit through knowing there's no real payoff.

And yet a lot of episodes still work for me. I like the ones that balance the creepy vide with humor, like "Quagmire," "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose" and "Humbug." Basically all the shows that writer Darin Morgan had a hand in.

X is like most Series they are a product of their time in which they were produced.

I rewatched Seasons 1-5, that was it for me, the series not only jumped, it Catapulted the shark after that, but I enjoyed them as much as I did then.

Yeah, I re-watched seasons 1 through 6 not too long ago and was also surprised by how dated some of it felt. And as Solo4114 mentioned, all the Chris Carter conspiracy stuff is a chore to sit through knowing there's no real payoff.

And yet a lot of episodes still work for me. I like the ones that balance the creepy vide with humor, like "Quagmire," "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose" and "Humbug." Basically all the shows that writer Darin Morgan had a hand in.

In the runup to the new series relaunch, I went back and started watching through the series again, too. A lot of it was good, and suitably creepy. Most of that was the monster-of-the-week episodes. Some of the conspiracy arc stories were well done, but as stated, when you know the payoff is a big fart sound, it makes it hard to get into those episodes. And yet, when I look back on the show, they were what propelled my interest in the show at such a high level.

It's a shame, really. Especially considering the new show had a chance to really solidify what had been left so unsatisfying and just introduced a bunch of conspiracy gobbledeegook, and then dropped/ignored it.

The X-Files was one of the first few shows that I really got into that taught me not to get invested too deeply in a "mythology"-driven or "mystery"-driven show until the ending has been written AND you know that it was satisfying. The X-Files is also why I never watched LOST.

In the runup to the new series relaunch, I went back and started watching through the series again, too. A lot of it was good, and suitably creepy. Most of that was the monster-of-the-week episodes. Some of the conspiracy arc stories were well done, but as stated, when you know the payoff is a big fart sound, it makes it hard to get into those episodes. And yet, when I look back on the show, they were what propelled my interest in the show at such a high level.

It's a shame, really. Especially considering the new show had a chance to really solidify what had been left so unsatisfying and just introduced a bunch of conspiracy gobbledeegook, and then dropped/ignored it.

The X-Files was one of the first few shows that I really got into that taught me not to get invested too deeply in a "mythology"-driven or "mystery"-driven show until the ending has been written AND you know that it was satisfying. The X-Files is also why I never watched LOST.

Right, the UFO stuff was initially great when it felt like it was leading up to something spectacular. Then around season 4 you start to realize the arc is all bark and no bite. LOST, as you say, is another good example of that kind of drift into the creative abyss.

But I'm still a sucker for Mulder and Scully scampering around in the dark looking for monsters. I'll hold out a little hope that the creators get things figured out for next season.

You would think Chris would have had enough time to learn how not to write him self in a corner and **** off the fans. :unsure

It's a shame, really. Especially considering the new show had a chance to really solidify what had been left so unsatisfying and just introduced a bunch of conspiracy gobbledeegook, and then dropped/ignored it..

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back