STAR TREK - Laser Phasers ??

Re: Laser Phasers ??

I have ordered a Diamond select TOS phaser and will be experimenting. Maybe red, blue or green laser.

I also got a playmates TNG phaser. I saw this wasn't maybe the favorite one, but it's readily available and is a reasonable cost. I received this one already, and I see that it should be easy to modify. Red is the only color for the TNG phaser, so I've ordered a red laser for this one.

I use eBay whenever possible because of the buyer protection. These are coming from China, but I chose lasers that are calibrated and measured for proper output. I also chose ones that are self contained modules. I didn't like the raw driver circuit boards with exposed components that I saw on many listings. As I might do a run, I don't want to give away the exact ones I am using....But I will say I spent a considerable amount of time finding the right choices. :D

Okay. I have the Diamond Select phaser and I am trying to disassemble it. I have removed all the screws but am not sure how to remove the rotating ring at the nozzle of the phaser.

Any advice ? I couldn't find a still active link to disassembly instructions.

There was an officially licensed Star Trek The Next Generation Phaser laser pointer produced in 1996. I just checked eBay and they're still out there. The description says they are die-cast metal with a real rubber grip. Because the shows been off a while the ones on eBay are really cheap... when they originally came out they were $150.00. I am not discouraging you from making your own, sometimes that's just more fun!

Hmm....the listing isn't over and the eBay one is at $47. A recent past completed auction sold for $140.
It does not appear to be die cast....it says "metal cast PARTS" meaning not the whole thing....only certain parts.

And this is a very LOW powered laser pointer that it has. It is indeed a toy.

What I've been talking of doing is using a 50mw red laser. 10 times more powerful than what's in the toy.

Last edited:

Okay. I have the Diamond Select phaser and I am trying to disassemble it. I have removed all the screws but am not sure how to remove the rotating ring at the nozzle of the phaser.

Any advice ? I couldn't find a still active link to disassembly instructions.
Did you try the link I posted on post #17 its from this forum. Just about on page #15 "spaceone" digs into his breakdown.
You basicly have to snap off the front ring from one side with a butter knife or putty knife. There are tabs on each side of the front ring that snap in but the notch on the tab will probably break on one side but you can rebuild it with epoxy.. Its great thread, and "Tony from Federation Phaser" sells alot of metal parts for this Diamond Select..
Also sells hollow acrylic emitters if you don't want to drill out the hole yourself.

Last edited:

The one 13DoctorWho pointed out sold for $115 with shipping. It is better in many respects except for the low power laser. But it is not readily available. There is only one more on eBay right now. The regular playmates TNG phaser is the totally plastic model, but it'll have a more powerful laser and my modified version will be around $60 plus shipping and is readily available.

I was watching some of the TOS episodes, and on one called "The Man Trap", Dr. Crater was firing a phaser at Kirk and Spock. I recognized the phaser as the one from the prequel, "The Cage". It's funny to see both phasers in one episode.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back