STAR TREK - Laser Phasers ??

Jintosh

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Have star trek phasers been offered for sale before with a visible laser in them ?

Are there any issues if I wanted to offer them? We live in a shades of gray world anyway....;)

Last edited:
Re: Laser Phasers ??

HAH!...

When I read the title, I thought of the "laser phaser", that was given to the "Little dragon Coconut" by his alien friend :lol
It´s a pretty succeful book-series for children here in Germany

My three yera old boy loves the books :)
Laserphaser_Kokosnuss_165359.jpg

I'll see if I can drag up a YouTube video I saw of a guy who built one (don't recall 100%, but I think he offered them for sale).

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I seem to recall someone sold modified Diamond Select phasers with laser pointer innards installed. His videos were funny, he made one that would pop a balloon. YEah, baby, I want a phaser that pops balloons to impress my lady friends…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have star trek phasers been offered for sale before with a visible laser in them ?

Are there any issues if I wanted to offer them? We live in a shades of gray world anyway....;)
There quite a few people selling them. From 50mw to 7W!
Diamond select's, Playmate's, even some modding the really nice Wand TV remote phaser..
I have modded a few but not to sell.. I prefer the "Rubie's TOS phaser because tons of room for sinking "nothing that paint can't fix for that aweful orange and blue" compared to the Diamond select. My strongest is a 2.2W 445 blue.
"Jon Lussier" on Ebay and "Jayrob" from the laserforum sells kits for the Playmates minus the diode for safety reasons.
There is a market but you still have to be careful of people with not much laser knowledge..
This "Steve Wall" guy sells modded "Playmates" but wan'ts crazy money and scams people wanting $1000 with basicly a diode in a can type..

The biggest issue would be safety. A stray laser in the eye doesn't do anybody any favours...weak lasers would circumvent that problem a bit but you'd need a disclaimer I'd guess for your own protection.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I seem to recall someone sold modified Diamond Select phasers with laser pointer innards installed. His videos were funny, he made one that would pop a balloon. YEah, baby, I want a phaser that pops balloons to impress my lady friends…

That's the same one I saw!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Thanks, guys. So, under 100mw has higher safety and is still visible in many environments (especially foggy).
The downside of the Diamond select is that it seems to run off a coin battery which can NOT run a decent laser.
A battery system would also have to be added which would add to the cost. And then the type 1 phaser would not be removable because it would be hard wired into the type 2 where the batteries would have to be.

This is encouraging, I will look into a type 2 phaser from TNG and the Diamond select Type1/Type2 from TOS.

532nm green is the brightest per mw.. 30mw to 50mw of 532 is visible in dim rooms.
You can make room in the handle of the Diamond Select for 2 AAA's. The curves of the handle will take a AAA battery cradle nice. Even if you pull the bottom cap of the handle you will see 2 nubs and screw's that you can easily ad springs for battery contact. This will power the laser and keep the button cells for the P1. There is a way to fit a tiny micro switch so the trigger hit this micro switch the same time it hits the bottom of the P1 when its in place. It just takes some adjusting to get it right. This will make the P1 removable.
The Rubies Phaser has already a battrey box in the handle for 2 AAA's which makes a big difference. Lithuim 10440 batterys are the same size as AAA and the Lithium at 3.7V to 4.2V each power my 2W lasers and bypass the box and now use button cells for the sound. The Rubies only have sound and the speaker is up front at the tip but I relocated the speaker under the top of the fixed P1 and drilled some holes. These look great and a direct copy of the Diamond select but you will want to paint it. So much easier to mod but both can be done..Micro switches are cheap at $1 a piece. Why make the Diamond Select with P1 fixed as the Rubie is all one piece.

I just want to ad that if you use the stock sound board and wires on the Diamond select for th.e laser it will flash off and on like the LED does.
I prefer constant beam..You can do this if I can but I do see your a Premium member!!!!!

Last edited:

Thanks !! That's very helpful. Using an additional switch to power the laser and separate batteries just for the laser sounds like a good way to go.

Sorry for the double post but as i'm not sure of your parts sources. .http://www.fasttech.com has just about the cheapest 532 modules at $5 to $6. Don't let the 5mw rating fool you as they are way over spec and durable and can run from 50mw to 80mw and some as high as 100mw. There is a pot adjuster on the drivers also to play with the output.
They have plastic battery cradle's, the micro switches and just about everything you might need very cheap to help you. Scroll their sight over and over as you will be surprised!

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry for the double post but as i'm not sure of your parts sources. .http://www.fasttech.com has just about the cheapest 532 modules at $5 to $6. Don't let the 5mw rating fool you as they are way over spec and durable and can run from 50mw to 80mw and some as high as 100mw. There is a pot adjuster on the drivers also to play with the output.
They have plastic battery cradle's, the micro switches and just about everything you might need very cheap to help you. Scroll their sight over and over as you will be surprised!

Laser Phasers ??

BTW, if you didn't know, a laser is not normally visible except where it hits. You need incense, fog, or smoke to indicate the laser beam.

And yes, as noted above vision injury can occur by shining a laser into someone's eye. All lasers that I've seen sported a clear safety warning, that would NOT be visible if the laser is hidden in a phaser toy/prop replica. Such a prop replica should NOT be give to children to play with without adult supervision for the obvious reasons.

True but it doesn't take much to make a "beam" visible.. Fog is a good enhancer but not always needed. Everyday particles such as dust for example will bring it out. or a simple ciggarette smoke.
Being we are not in a vaccum just about any laser of good strength, exempting the low 405nm or upper 650nm will throw a beam if not in a direct daylight outside.
I do advise to buy laser warning labels that are available in mulit packs and put one that show clearly on any build..

Great advice guys. I start to see why there hasn't been a run before.

How about a good blue color ? The first episodes of season 1 TOS, everything had blue phasers.

Great advice guys. I start to see why there hasn't been a run before.

How about a good blue color ? The first episodes of season 1 TOS, everything had blue phasers.
I believe the first TOS season they were black then after that the phaser body was blue and the handle black.
There are a few threads here of lasers added and try this one www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=118370&page=18 as it will sure bring you to more.

Oh ok my bad..I never realized blue was initially used the first season. They seem to vary the colors later on, from blue, red, green I think.
Not to many choices on a blue laser. A purple at 405nm will not be visible even at very high output and would need tons of fog. The next is the 445nm blue which is the most affordable blue diode but you would need at least 500mw of this as its 10% as bright at a 532nm green! So a 50mw green is basicly equal as a rule of thumb.
I don't see a reason why not to build a powerful phaser as long as you tackle the right selling safety guide lines..
They did use green as a phaser beam so both colors would be original to the series..
Just to add they have diode's that push 465nm to 470nm which is a more pure blue like your added clip pic's but the difference in color from the 445nm isn't worth the cost in my opinion..

I thought that because I like this idea, other people would like it as well. But maybe this project is meant to be a one-off. For personal preference.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back