Airsoft Custom Spec Ops Stormtrooper Helmet

Mean Obiwan

Hey guys, not sure if this warrants its own thread, but I'm pretty proud of this custom and wanted to show it off a bit.
Me and my brother decided to start getting into airsoft, and starting out I have no face or head protection, but my mind had been going crazy with ideas for what kind of character I can be when we start.
Obviously knowing I need something to blend in better with the east Texas forest environment, I thought I'd go ahead and repaint my old sandy that I've had for a few years, and this is what I pulled off.

upload a picture

I used the paint design of the air trooper, kept the tube stripes (only black now) added some kind of long range communication antenna and replaced the typical mic tips with some weird bits of junk I had in the greeblie box. I'm super pleased with how it came out, hope y'all like it.

Most fields wont let you play unless you have ANSI rated eye protection, which I dont believe that is. So you might be able to get away with wearing mesh goggles underneath, but that would be up to the field.

Even if not playing at a field.... Not sure if those lenses will hold up to impact, and you don't want to lose an eye. Try to wear something impact rated underneath. Better safe than sorry!

Indeed, I'm not 100% sure that this is what I'm going to stick with while we play. We're not getting too serious, just me and my brother wanting to run around and shoot each other with some buds.
I've since replaced the lenses after taking these photos with real thick plastic, even took a few test shots on them and they stood up to it.

Thanks! I know at first it may not seem practical for airsoft, but I'm at least going to try it, and if I fail miserably, at least it turned out pretty cool.
I was pretty reluctant to convert it from sandtrooper into this, but I'm really quite pleased with it, I needed something that still looked like it could be part of the imperial ranks but also help me blend in a little bit in the woods. We all know how well white armor worked on Endor...

My takeaway from playing paintball for years is that peripheral vision is key, and I know that TKs have none! Haha

Let's just hope your aim is better than most stormtroopers.

SB

Thanks! I know at first it may not seem practical for airsoft, but I'm at least going to try it, and if I fail miserably, at least it turned out pretty cool.
Not to mention adding fuel to the fire that more restrictions and bans be put on airsoft. Not to be a Debbie Downer but not using proper protection to "run around and shoot each other" does nothing for the people who play and collect airsoft guns responsibly. These are not toys and can shoot a 6mm plastic bb at over 300-400 fps. One of those to the eye's, teeth or ear's will surely result in "failing miserably".

I think you are going to get a sprained ankle if you try and run in a forest in that, I kept walking into street bollards and short people in mine at halloween. Vision is far too poor, also it is like wearing some serious sunglasses so being in a shaded forest will be tough. It's why the Ewoks won.

edit:
Also, much more seriously, check your bolts on the inside (if it is assembled like a screen used helmet and has bolts protruding into the helmet). In the making of Star Wars book, it mentioned how a storm trooper extra fell over and when his head hit the ground, the internal bolt was driven into his temple and he had to go to hospital.

Also, much more seriously, check your bolts on the inside (if it is assembled like a screen used helmet and has bolts protruding into the helmet). In the making of Star Wars book, it mentioned how a storm trooper extra fell over and when his head hit the ground, the internal bolt was driven into his temple and he had to go to hospital.

They're dummy bolts. I got this helmet online a few years back and it's junk a solid junk of resin. I do agree about peripheral vision though, we'll just have to wait and see I suppose.

Not to mention adding fuel to the fire that more restrictions and bans be put on airsoft. Not to be a Debbie Downer but not using proper protection to "run around and shoot each other" does nothing for the people who play and collect airsoft guns responsibly. These are not toys and can shoot a 6mm plastic bb at over 300-400 fps. One of those to the eye's, teeth or ear's will surely result in "failing miserably".

I think my general response would be, I love this forum, so I hope I don't come across as being rude, I think this whole thing has been taken out of context a bit and I just want to clarify a little. I'm aware airsoft guns are not toys, we both have guns that fire about 400 fps. When I say "running around shooting at eachother" what I mean is simply just me and my brother practicing on our own using some standard rules of play. My intention isn't to gear up as a stormtrooper and hit any official fields or games. We're both pretty new to the sport itself and want to get some practice time in, so until I get some more gear just the two of us are practicing alone on our folks property, so I don't think "responsible players" have to worry about anymore restrictions because of us.
I wouldn't use this in the meantime if I wasn't sure that it'd protect me from getting shot at, I'm more worried about the vision aspect of it. My brother got an official airsoft mask that leaves the whole back of his head open. So this is more of something I'm using while we get some practice rounds in until we're even ready to start participating in anything other than that.

Mean Obiwan, I appreciate your reply. I have been involved with replica guns since the first PFC replicas started coming our way back in the 80's. Visited the Collectors Armory in VA several time and walked out with numerous treasures back then that would set me up for retirement today if I still had them. I've played paintball semi-professionally back in the early 2000's (original Cold Fusion), and then switched over to airsoft. Had a collection at one time of over 25 guns and AEGs. I am passionate when it comes to replica weapons and the use of them properly by their owners. I'm glad you are treating them with the respect they deserve. I hate to read stories about people being injured or worse, by the mishandling of these. While we are pretty liberal right now with our toy gun laws here I hate to read stories about the potential miss use of them that could wind up adding more restrictions on what we can buy.
I'm glad you and your buddy are enjoying them. Be safe and have fun!!!

Mean Obiwan, I appreciate your reply. I have been involved with replica guns since the first PFC replicas started coming our way back in the 80's. Visited the Collectors Armory in VA several time and walked out with numerous treasures back then that would set me up for retirement today if I still had them. I've played paintball semi-professionally back in the early 2000's (original Cold Fusion), and then switched over to airsoft. Had a collection at one time of over 25 guns and AEGs. I am passionate when it comes to replica weapons and the use of them properly by their owners. I'm glad you are treating them with the respect they deserve. I hate to read stories about people being injured or worse, by the mishandling of these. While we are pretty liberal right now with our toy gun laws here I hate to read stories about the potential miss use of them that could wind up adding more restrictions on what we can buy.
I'm glad you and your buddy are enjoying them. Be safe and have fun!!!

Oh definitely. I used to be really interested in airsoft and started collecting a little, but at the time no one else wanted in on it, but now my brother is all about it, so of course I'm on board with him.
Glad we're on the same page, I always have the fear of coming across a certain type of way since text lacks emotion lol. I did try playing with this helmet last weekend, my main complaints would be one: I couldn't look down, and two: after getting a little toasty inside,y lenses began to fog up quite a bit. Definitely a motivator to get the right gear. Now if only these bills could leave me alone for a pay period or two.

After paintball and getting into airsoft I became a collector as there was no where to play. Fogging lenses and the fact I wear glasses was always a challenge when playing paintball as well. I had different sprays and even the JT fan on my goggles.

After paintball and getting into airsoft I became a collector as there was no where to play. Fogging lenses and the fact I wear glasses was always a challenge when playing paintball as well. I had different sprays and even the JT fan on my goggles.

The best place we have to play is some land on my folks property. However, my brothers uncle has a lot of land up in Oklahoma, whenever we get all we need, plus additional players, we've been taking about hosting some games there.
The fogging kills me every time, I can do well, but when my lenses fog I can barely be effective at all. I thought about getting a fan for the time being, or replacing the plastic lenses with some kind of wire mesh, kind of like the official airsoft masks.
I've seen a few actually made for airsoft mandalorian helmets online, but I wonder if their lenses would have the same problem with fogging.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back